Our best 11 right now?

Something Jenas said on MOTD caught me a bit by surprise.

He said we make an average of 5 changes per game.

Over what, the last 2 games? the last 20? in All competitions?

ive not looked at it much more but it doesn't feel as much as that, not in the league anyway.

But if it is true, suggests we don't have a best 11 as such. More of a best 4 or 5, and the rest is squad use.

Before Kevin came back (and I am not ignoring the fact he still needs more game time) we saw the best Gundogan in his time at City, Bernie and Foden were on fire, Sterling seemed lethal. I am wondering as per right now, what is our best team sheet of 11 players?
To answer this (and assuming a fully fit squad), who is the opposition, what form are they in and what will our tactics be?

Something Jenas said on MOTD caught me a bit by surprise.

He said we make an average of 5 changes per game.

Over what, the last 2 games? the last 20? in All competitions?

ive not looked at it much more but it doesn't feel as much as that, not in the league anyway.

But if it is true, suggests we don't have a best 11 as such. More of a best 4 or 5, and the rest is squad use.
Of course we don't have a best 11.

-------------------Ederson----------------
Cancelo-----Stones------Dias------Zinc
---------------------Rodri------------------
---------B.Silva------------Gundo--------
Foden------------Jesus-----------Sterling

I‘d agree with that except I’d have Walker at RB and Cancelo as LB, with his roaming role from there.

Ederson
Cancelo -- Stones --- Dias -- Zinchenko
------------Rodri---------------
--------B.Silva --------KDB------
Sterling -----Gundo -----Foden

Bernardo, KDB and Gundo rotating

It's clever what Pep is doing and it keeps a squad of top quality players fairly happy as they know they'll get decent game time. It almost backfired on Saturday though as it disrupted our rhythm and a below par Aguero and Kev feeling their way back from injury hindered us further. Kev's ability is such though he pulls out that cross for Dias for the first goal in spite of struggling. It's a nice problem to have though.

The truth is we do not really have a best eleven.. we have a squad, a team, that Pep puts out to win matches, and keep everyone happy..OK Sergio was not great but needs game time..KdB, equally needs more time to get to his best..I do find it strange that we posters can somehow seem to know better than the manager..Best eleven ?? Its the team Pep puts out on the day. He is probably the best manger of all time, follow his choices and the team he puts out.

The truth is we do not really have a best eleven.. we have a squad, a team, that Pep puts out to win matches, and keep everyone happy..OK Sergio was not great but needs game time..KdB, equally needs more time to get to his best..I do find it strange that we posters can somehow seem to know better than the manager..Best eleven ?? Its the team Pep puts out on the day. He is probably the best manger of all time, follow his choices and the team he puts out.

We all get that.....and of course its true.But we definitely do have a best 11,id suggest it would be the team that Pep would pick for the CL final if everyone were fit.

To further that thinking.....that wasn't our best 11 on Saturday was it? For a variety of reasons,it was an 11 that Pep felt best to play on the day.

Anyway,that wasnt't the question ;-)

To answer this (and assuming a fully fit squad), who is the opposition, what form are they in and what will our tactics be?
That's the thing, we have to consider the current situation I think, with Kevin just starting to gain some minutes, Kun unfit, etc. We can't ignore those factors, otherwise we could just say..."well Kevin is the best player in the team so he has to be in the best 11" I was wondering about this question and to answer it we have to consider the current performance of each player and how they best compliment as a team. Now do we care about the opposition for the tactics? Let's dream a bit and let's make the assumption we are playing the Champions League finals this weekend and we want to win it!!!

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.