Our glaring weakness at LB, will it be fixed?

Strange, that 5 of our 7 Premier League defeats last season, and most of our really embarrassing defensive performances, (Moscow home, QPR away) saw Clichy at Left Back.

Kolarov’s worst games tended to be in the shambolic cup exits when everyone was at fault.

I’m obviously pissing against the wind, but the big fear that Kolarov will be outpaced by a rampaging right winger, actually happens more to Clichy, mainly because the opposition sense that Clichy isn’t comfortable coming forward, and deliberately aim for the space behind him.

In contrast, Kolarov’s overlaps tend to force his opponents backwards, the best example being the home derby two seasons ago, when Valencia couldn't get out of his own half.

So, on that bombshell, I just wish that Clive Wilson was thirty years younger, as he would have been the ideal wing back for this team.

Kolarov needs to go.
Forever getting caught high up the pitch and epically slow at getting back into position.
Defensively very poor.

Kolarov needs to go.
Forever getting caught high up the pitch and epically slow at getting back into position.
Defensively very poor.

He's slow but his lack of effort to get back in some situations is an embarrassment. He doesn't seem to give a shit.

Alex Sandro? Did we ever bid for him? Is he staying at Porto?

What about Dzhamaldin Khodzhaniyazov or Domenico Criscito?

Have we been looking at either of these two?

Interestingly although we consider it one of our weakest positions successive managers have not strengthened it since 2012. I would love to know the number of players purchased since signing Clichy, 20 plus maybe? It suggests to me that either there is a shortage of quality left backs out there or the manager is happy with the current two.

I've defended Kolarov for years on these forums and quite rightly he's never been as bad as people used to make out, it used to get to childish idiotic extremes where 'he missed a tackle once in a full game, I don't care if he got an assist he's fucking shite'. But now, now he's ACTUALLY not playing well and really clichy isn't a far superior player. It's definitely a weak spot moving forward, hopefully we can next season look to Angelino (not this season, he'll be completely knackered after the MLS finishes) or to a new LB if we can move Likely Kolarov on. I do hope he can regain his form though, it just at this point feels a little unlikely to me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.