Our glaring weakness at LB, will it be fixed?

How have we managed to finish 1st,2nd,1st then 2nd in the last 4 seasons then rag? They might not be World Class but they're both decent full backs

The man is entitled to an opinion without being called a rag.

This isn't a school playground mate. Calm down.

Best crosser of the ball in the Premiership. Only Baines comes close. Often he is one of our best attacking threats but we don't play target man football so it's a bit wasted at times, and we don't have late runners arriving in the penalty area for pull backs.

Ashley Cole and Lampard used to core loads ofgoals from the overlap and pull back to the on rushing Lampard

I agree. Kolarov is a dangerous weapon going forward with that hammer of a left foot but just a shame his defensive capabilities aren't the best.

Not a rag. Maybe last season we could have won if we were more fluid in attack and not so exposed in defense, ie had excellent full backs.

If you compare Chelsea's left back to ours, there is no competition. Azpilicueta was huge for them last season.

If you compare Chelsea's left back to ours, there is no competition. Azpilicueta was huge for them last season.
Not sure Azpilicueta would work in our system. Chelsea is not an expansive side for the most part, especially during the section of the season where he shined.

I've tried to hold off commenting on this thread, but the ridiculous bashing of Kolarov has reached Richard Edgehill & Ian Brightwell proportions, and bare little to no relationship to actual fact!

People seem to ignore the fact that Kolarov is often our main attacking creative threat, especially in games when Silva is struggling.

As for the garbage spouted about his defensive abilities, the truth is, he has played around 170 games, and nobody will be able to give more than a handful of examples of times he has been exposed... I guarantee I'll be able to give more examples of times he has made last ditch tackles or blocks which have saved us, and I am certain that the number of times he has been seriously exposed will be similar to the number of times which Zabba has been at fault, and fewer occasions than when fault can be laid at the feet of Vinny or Clichy.

In those 170ish games, Kolarov has come across some of the best Right Wingers in the world... How many have actually terrorised us? How many have had man of the match performances? Very very few... Actual, you will find that far more times these world class right wingers have had quiet games. FACT!

Seriously... what is it with some blues and fullbacks?... "we" seem to either massively overrate them, or seriously undervalue them!

So what if he had a go back at some idiots abusing him? I'd probably do the same!

So what if he is the first to get annoyed when our home support isn't as vocal as it should be? He's usually right, and surely this actually demonstrates he cares!

The truth is, he is amongst the best left-backs in the league, unquestionably our best left back of the last 20 or so years... and whilst we're at it... name me a better 2nd choice left back in English football than Clichy?

Glaring weakness... Seriously? Get a grip people!

Be careful what you wish for blues!

CTID
(Back to lurking I go!)

Not sure Azpilicueta would work in our system. Chelsea is not an expansive side for the most part, especially during the section of the season where he shined.

Yeah that is true, but we do need a full back who is a lot more solid. Clichy and Kolarov aren't the best man markers in the business.

I've tried to hold off commenting on this thread, but the ridiculous bashing of Kolarov has reached Richard Edgehill & Ian Brightwell proportions, and bare little to no relationship to actual fact!

People seem to ignore the fact that Kolarov is often our main attacking creative threat, especially in games when Silva is struggling.

As for the garbage spouted about his defensive abilities, the truth is, he has played around 170 games, and nobody will be able to give more than a handful of examples of times he has been exposed... I guarantee I'll be able to give more examples of times he has made last ditch tackles or blocks which have saved us, and I am certain that the number of times he has been seriously exposed will be similar to the number of times which Zabba has been at fault, and fewer occasions than when fault can be laid at the feet of Vinny or Clichy.

In those 170ish games, Kolarov has come across some of the best Right Wingers in the world... How many have actually terrorised us? How many have had man of the match performances? Very very few... Actual, you will find that far more times these world class right wingers have had quiet games. FACT!

Seriously... what is it with some blues and fullbacks?... "we" seem to either massively overrate them, or seriously undervalue them!

So what if he had a go back at some idiots abusing him? I'd probably do the same!

So what if he is the first to get annoyed when our home support isn't as vocal as it should be? He's usually right, and surely this actually demonstrates he cares!

The truth is, he is amongst the best left-backs in the league, unquestionably our best left back of the last 20 or so years... and whilst we're at it... name me a better 2nd choice left back in English football than Clichy?

Glaring weakness... Seriously? Get a grip people!

Be careful what you wish for blues!

CTID
(Back to lurking I go!)

I do kind of agree with you, Clichy is the one i would prefer to get rid of out of the two, more vulnerable in my eyes. As for Kolarov, he is a weapon going forward, but we could do with one more left back who is better defensively and more disciplined.

Neither are good enough for me. Both were error prone last season and it needs addressing. Based on the fact that it hasn't been addressed in the last two season, I have zero confidence that it will be!

I think we should reserve comment on Chelsea's options at left back until the end of the season. They're now the team to beat and most will set up and play for the draw. Perhaps in that case Azpilicueta won't be the left back many think he is. Defensively then no one can deny he's good but our system wants more than that from our full backs. The trouble is we could do with having one player with both Clichy and Kolarov's attributes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.