Our glaring weakness at LB, will it be fixed?

kolarov looked a lot better the end of last season and against WBA. Hopefully he keeps up. Never really seen this Alex Sandro some say he is quality, some say he makes basic mistakes worse than kolarov/clichy. Still think we need a LB and I mean a real quality one who doesn't make basic mistakes whether he is attacking or defending.

Isn't this the conundrum with Kolorov and Clichy. Most people see them as having different qualities and different weaknesses, Clichy slightly better defensively but poorer going forward , Kolorov the opposite. In theory that should mean that rotation depending on the opposition is the best policy to get the best results from them as a pair. But then most people believe that neither player performs to his potential when he is continually rotated and needs an extended run of games. I think Pellegrini needs to make a choice and stick with it or find a replacement that can do both aspects of the job.

In this moment, kolarov looks in form and clichy is the valuable home grown player

Isn't this the conundrum with Kolorov and Clichy. Most people see them as having different qualities and different weaknesses, Clichy slightly better defensively but poorer going forward , Kolorov the opposite. In theory that should mean that rotation depending on the opposition is the best policy to get the best results from them as a pair. But then most people believe that neither player performs to his potential when he is continually rotated and needs an extended run of games. I think Pellegrini needs to make a choice and stick with it or find a replacement that can do both aspects of the job.

Sandro is renowned for being a very well rounded fullback capable of defending well and contributing in attack. So if our link with him is true, we're sorting that problem out.

Sandro is renowned for being a very well rounded fullback capable of defending well and contributing in attack. So if our link with him is true, we're sorting that problem out.

I disagree. Nothing I've seen of Sandro suggests we should be signing him. He's a rash defender who fails to do the basics. He's quick and can cover his mistakes but he seems to overplay a lot when in defensive positions.

Kolarov and Clichy are both below the level we need. The issue we have is that Kolarov is excellent at set pieces, will whip the ball in for the our strikers and can do a solid job defensively against most sides. Clichy is defensively sound, but doesn't offer much going forward but is homegrown. I wouldn't sell either player for Sandro, but I'd be happy to replace Kolarov if we signed someone with similar attacking instincts but that is better defensively. Moving forward we may be able to produce our own homegrown left back to replace Clichy.

I disagree. Nothing I've seen of Sandro suggests we should be signing him. He's a rash defender who fails to do the basics. He's quick and can cover his mistakes but he seems to overplay a lot when in defensive positions.

Kolarov and Clichy are both below the level we need. The issue we have is that Kolarov is excellent at set pieces, will whip the ball in for the our strikers and can do a solid job defensively against most sides. Clichy is defensively sound, but doesn't offer much going forward but is homegrown. I wouldn't sell either player for Sandro, but I'd be happy to replace Kolarov if we signed someone with similar attacking instincts but that is better defensively. Moving forward we may be able to produce our own homegrown left back to replace Clichy.

Well I don't know what to say except I've seen him probably upwards of 10 times and he was fantastic in every game, definitely better than what we have. And Atletico Madrid and Juventus both want him, so apparently the people who matter in world football rate him as well.

Ben Chilwell at Leicester was quality against us in the youth cup semi; Arsenal are apparently watching him. We should get hold of him before he breaks into the first team and his value rockets; Ranieri was buzzing about him in preseason so it's only a matter of time before he establishes himself there.

The best left-back performance by a City player in the past 5 years was Zabaleta against Arsenal; now we have Raheem as an orthodox wide player on the left, the importance of a constantly attacking left fullback has subsided. Selectively switching Pablo to the left and allowing Denayer to feel his way into Premier League football at right-back would be a smart solution to the perceived weakness.

Well I don't know what to say except I've seen him probably upwards of 10 times and he was fantastic in every game, definitely better than what we have. And Atletico Madrid and Juventus both want him, so apparently the people who matter in world football rate him as well.

I couldn't care less if Juve and Atletico want him, they've not bought him so what does that tell you? They don't think he's worth the money Porto want. He's a risk taker and tries to take players on from his own half. Rather than put the ball out of play or take the easy option he would prefer to throw some step overs and show some skill.

Mangala and Fernando have expressed their surprise at the pace of our league. How little time they have to make decisions when in possession and how you can't stop for a minute or you'll be caught out of possession. That's what worries me with Sandro. He doesn't play in a tough league by any stretch so you'd hope he'd be impressive domestically. Kolarov and Clichy can be equally impressive but against top sides their frailties are clear to see.

In terms of ability on the ball, pace, commitment then he ticks the boxes but I'm not convinced on his defensive ability. He can still develop and improve, the errors he makes can be soon taught out of him. Zabaleta is ten times the player now than he first was when we signed him. So you never know.

I wouldn't say that our left back weaknesses would be immediately addressed through signing Sandro though.

Ben Chilwell at Leicester was quality against us in the youth cup semi; Arsenal are apparently watching him. We should get hold of him before he breaks into the first team and his value rockets; Ranieri was buzzing about him in preseason so it's only a matter of time before he establishes himself there.

The best left-back performance by a City player in the past 5 years was Zabaleta against Arsenal; now we have Raheem as an orthodox wide player on the left, the importance of a constantly attacking left fullback has subsided. Selectively switching Pablo to the left and allowing Denayer to feel his way into Premier League football at right-back would be a smart solution to the perceived weakness.

You're such a stand out plank

Why would we be looking to bring in some other clubs young hopeful at left back when we have our left back in waiting Angelino out cutting his teeth in New York

Its for this reason I don't expect us to go buying a left back

I disagree with the highlighted bit, the attacking combination of Kolarov and Sterling on our left caused West Brom a lot of problems and led to Silva and Toure having more space in the middle. Also I see Sterling as more of a wide forward than an orthodox wide midfielder.

With Kolarov's form at end of last season, plus his impressive performance against WBA; I don't see "LB" position as a priority for us. The threat from our left side (Sterling & Kolarov) was difficult for WBA to handle; it is a very promising sign of what to expect from our team down that side.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.