Our PR department and the media

We basically just bend over and take it. How many more years can we take of the old Sky 4 mafia running the agenda, even when commentating on our games? In ten years time will it be Martial, Rashford, Lingard spouting the same shite, or will we have stood up to them by then?

In ten years time two of them will be Sunderland legends and the other still won't be able to speak English.

Assuming that's the reason for their constantly positive representation - the point remains that our approach clearly isn't working and it's hard to imagine our treatment being much worse. Different approach needed.

But what is available?
If the tabloid types are the worst, then banning them won't make them better. It will make them even worse as there is nothing to lose.
They're preaching to their masses

But what is available?
If the tabloid types are the worst, then banning them won't make them better. It will make them even worse as there is nothing to lose.
Banning the last option - but meeting with them, strongly expessing our concerns, restricting access to some individuals, denying media access to players and interviews etc.
My limited knowledge of this Dept tells me some within the club are also concerned at our passivity and us having cried wolf in the past.

But what is available?

So we don't ban them permanently. We invite them in, put forward our position and let them explain theirs. And if they do it again, we ban the offender for perhaps a month, explaining that when they are allowed back, they are on probation. I cannot imagine any journalist wanting to be permanently excluded so that they have nothing to report, when other papers do.

EDIT: similar view above, I note.

Doubtless what you say is true, and I would not advocate us simply "doing what the rags did", we have to cut our coat according to our cloth. But the cloth is not some 2nd rate club that can be kicked and spat at relentlessly without come back. When you look at the positive things happening at our club, with the best academy, the regeneration of the east of Manchester, the young talent we have coming through... then any *balanced* reporting would be full of positives. Not forgetting we're perhaps the most successful English club of the past 6 years too.

I really think we need to wipe the slate clean with our media relations. Draw a line under what's gone before, get them all in and explain the new reality that we expect fair criticism where it is due and praise would be nice when appropriate too. But that any ongoing unjustified and baseless smearing of our club, owners, manager etc will no longer be tolerated.

I agree with what the ideal is, whether it is possible to do is a different question. So many outlets are wedded to their click base that it's institutionalised now, and they can't break out of it even if there was a will to do so. I suspect that that's like asking people to risk offending the golden goose.

It's noticeable that journalists like Winter and Samuel see beneath the shallow top level of a redtop, but probably aren't read as widely as the likes of Custises. I think that the academy/city regeneration is now seen as "old news", and there are as yet no England stars for the future (e.g. Rashford, Alli), and that needs a breakthrough to give them more reason to return to it. The reports which are about football, the squad gossip and matches is the bit that gets the clicks.

Also, how about a bit of carrot as well as stick. Pick a few of the less odious journalists and give them some exclusive access and opportunities for scoops. The ones printing shite all the time will soon put 2 and 2 together. i.e. keep printing bollocks will you get nothing. Be fair in your reporting and you'll be well treated. We could have flown a couple out to Abu Dhabi just now, for example.

Banning the last option - but meeting with them, strongly expessing our concerns, restricting access to some individuals, denying media access to players and interviews etc.
My limited knowledge of this Dept tells me some within the club are also concerned at our passivity and us having cried wolf in the past.

Could be, but why would the ingrained attitudes care? Won't they just go somewhere else for their cushy interviews?
It strikes me as chipping away at a cliff with a small chisel - not something to be ignored totally, but extremely difficult and longterm to fix.

Also, how about a bit of carrot as well as stick. Pick a few of the less odious journalists and give them some exclusive access and opportunities for scoops. The ones printing shite all the time will soon put 2 and 2 together. i.e. keep printing bollocks will you get nothing. Be fair in your reporting and you'll be well treated. We could have flown a couple out to Abu Dhabi just now, for example.

This could work. It strikes me as being what the BBC have been paid for their Utd coverage.

It then just comes down to whether added City value exceeds value of Cityhating.

I've never worked in media relations, so maybe I am talking complete bollocks, but isn't the key word, "relations". If I was in that job, I'd be trying to make friends with these hacks who at the end of the day are trying to do a job. Go to the pub with them, get pissed together. As I say, fly them to Abu Dhabi and spend a few days getting to know each other. So you can say "come on mate, you can't keep printing that shite, please don't". I may be totally out of whack, but do we have any relations with these people???

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.