Our PR department and the media

You're right and it's very similar. You also make good points.

However, there's no way on this earth that City haven't got a strategy in place and aren't already meeting the right people. I work at a brand who's name opens similar doors to that of the MCFC comms team, so getting into those meetings and opening the opportunity to pitch is easy. The hard part is what can we give these journalists/editors/etc that the other clubs can't?

It's clearly our approach/plan that needs refining in order to get the results we want.

However, if you look at the bigger picture and the work the club is doing to target new fans and 'Gen Z', we are at the forefront of content creation and engagement. Take the latest trip to Abu Dhabi as an example, the club took out two YouTube/Social media influencers to meet the players and create a video. These guys are who the kids listen to and look up to now, they don't read newspapers or their websites.

One of the influencers, Miniminter, has nearly 6 million subscribers to his YouTube channel. That's one hell of an audience to reach and the club is bringing on the next generation of influencers and fans in this market. These guys will all be positive in their coverage of MCFC and our players.

I know for a fact that other media outlets are copying MCFC's approach and see them as the benchmark for social media/football content.

So even though the older generation of fans may still care about tabloids/print, MCFC are looking forward (as in everything the club does) and making them irrelevant. Young supporters don't have a clue about Neil Custis or Ian Herbert, nobody will in 5-10 years.

BTW I'm in no way affiliated with the club. I just respect the work they're doing as I'm in a similar profession.
Perhaps you're so lost in it that you can't see objectively.
Sounds absolutley wonderful the way you put it, (if a liitle W1A) but the fact, or if you prefer, perception that exists is that we get over critical and negative coverage.

Good post. I never understand all this bile that's pointed at the PR team, they don't operate under their own purview but will be following a long term plan handed down from above and surely no Blue can doubt that our owner and the team he appointed know exactly what it is that they're doing.

I think because our PR team don't APPEAR to be doing anything about the shit the club gets that people are getting fed up.

Clearly the Rag/Dipper love affair with the media , and underhand sniping at City is what frustrates many of our supporters.

Perhaps you're so lost in it that you can't see objectively.
Sounds absolutley wonderful the way you put it, (if a liitle W1A) but the fact, or if you prefer, perception that exists is that we get over critical and negative coverage.

I'd argue that I am seeing this objectively, I was simply putting positive examples on the table that others might've missed.

The fans who aren't objective are the ones who are obsessive about negative/critical coverage, without taking into account the good work that we're doing too.

I'd argue that I am seeing this objectively, I was simply putting positive examples on the table that others might've missed.

The fans who aren't objective are the ones who are obsessive about negative/critical coverage, without taking into account the good work that we're doing too.
I agree

I would certainly hope there is some good work and I'm sure there is - but a better PR Department or approach would mean even more good work.
Fans aren't obsessve about the coverage, but they recognise the negativity and over critical reporting of us because it is so obvious. Having subscribers to various media platforms is all well and good but it is in the mainstream media that we are constantly taking a kicking and which is surely where we want fair representation.

I would certainly hope there is some good work and I'm sure there is - but a better PR Department or approach would mean even more good work.
Fans aren't obsessve about the coverage, but they recognise the negativity and over critical reporting of us because it is so obvious. Having subscribers to various media platforms is all well and good but it is in the mainstream media that we are constantly taking a kicking and which is surely where we want fair representation.

It depends on how you define good work and what your targets are. In your opinion it's about what is published in mainstream media and whether it's of positive or negative sentiment.

However, tell me how many people aged 7-21 will go down to the shop and pick up a copy of The Sun or Daily Telegraph? What I'm saying is the club is clearly targeting a certain demographic and focusing on the channels & media that they consume.

The side that you mention might need work (i.e less negative press), but that doesn't matter one jot if Khaldoon has given a brief of 'I want us to ensure that every football-loving child/teenager in the UK knows about MCFC and our players. So please focus on winning their support.'

The club might feel that mainstream press is a lost cause, or that print media and the way it's consumed is only tailored to 30+ year olds who already have a favourite football team and only buy it to read their club's match report or transfer news.

Some really interesting points made in those last few posts. Thanks for the insight.

It depends on how you define good work and what your targets are. In your opinion it's about what is published in mainstream media and whether it's of positive or negative sentiment.

However, tell me how many people aged 7-21 will go down to the shop and pick up a copy of The Sun or Daily Telegraph? What I'm saying is the club is clearly targeting a certain demographic and focusing on the channels & media that they consume.

The side that you mention might need work (i.e less negative press), but that doesn't matter one jot if Khaldoon has given a brief of 'I want us to ensure that every football-loving child/teenager in the UK knows about MCFC and our players. So please focus on winning their support.'

The club might feel that mainstream press is a lost cause, or that print media and the way it's consumed is only tailored to 30+ year olds who already have a favourite football team and only buy it to read their club's match report or transfer news.
Fair enough - if that is the "brief" then theyr'e no doubt doing a sterling job. Ignore the BBC, Sky, BT, the national press, press agencies and all their platforms- get more YouTube hits. Presumably Khaldoon hasn't said "focus" on one asspect at the expense of the others?
Fair play to you - we've discussed this amicably and I respect that, but what you see as modern and long sighted I see as short sighted and insular if it means neglecting such a large demographic.
All the best.

everybody has skeletons in their cupboard, I would dig and dig and get dirt on everyone that matters, threaten them with it, they would soon change their tune, or waterboard the fuckers in the Etihad basement

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.