Our top ten players since ww2? A tough debate.

Also Kindladze more naturally talented than anyone one your list except Bell and Silva
That must be why he was playing for Derby in the second tier of English football in his prime. More naturally talented than KDB and Aguero? Absolutely preposterous thing to think or say.

only going to judge this on players i've seen live and as I was only born in 77 and first game 85
1. Ilkay Gundogan - unlike others i've been a fan since day 1, absolutely immense in 18/19 playing as DM when Dinho missed large chunks of season through injury, 20/21 outstanding as KDB was injured for huge part of season, Gundo scored a lot of goals and won back to back PL player of the month , still baffles me why he never won Player of the year, 2018 @Spurs, 2019 @Brighton , 2022 v Villa , 2023 @Everton he scored in all the games which were our last before becoming PL champions, big game player, outstanding attitude, to have recovered from 2 serious knee injuries speaks volumes, could play anywhere, tempo setter, his movement for some of his goals are similar to some of Lampard at Chelsea.
2. Nicolas Anelka - when we signed Nico it was first time in my life that I was pinching myself over a City signing, 14 goals in 2002/03 season including goals v Utd, @arsenal and the brace in the win at Anfield, linked up well with the Goat , following season hit 26 goals in all competitions in a struggling team which finished 16th, only issue with Nico was his ability to stay onside, but for me he was the first world class player I saw at City and although he probably didn't have the greatest attitude or mentality in terms of ability he ticks every box, was City's all-time PL scorer until Tevez joined.
3. Kevin De Bruyne - 2017/18 season is probably the time i've never seen a man perform so consistently over a season and was head and shoulders simply outstanding, absolutely unbelievable player who see's things at pitch level before we see it in the crowd, another player who performs in big games and when he signed back in 15/16 back then I really wasn't expecting that much and how wrong I was, would get in any team in the world.
4. Sergio Aguero - Where do you start? that 20 minute debut v Swansea, the 93:20, constant thorn in Utd's side, hat tricks, goals against Europe's finest, Sergio will be a lot of peoples #1 and I understood why only things missing from his City career were scoring at Anfield and not getting a UCL winners medal that night in Porto, legend is a word overused but not in Sergio's case.
5. David Silva - one thing I particularly liked with Silva's game was for all the ability and skill he had, he also had the mentality to not go missing when games got physical , unlike Kinkladze , David had this and was not afraid to mix it when it was needed, actually thought he improved his game once Pep arrived when at times that would have sounded impossible, that performance in the 6-1 was as good as anybody's , it's rare you see a player get a standing ovation in opposition colours at Camp Nou & Bernabeau but David got this in both and that speaks volumes, amazing player we were so blessed we saw him in a City shirt for 10 years.
6. Carlos Tevez - this is the one signing that paved the way for the others, Carlos was a difficult character and the fact he only ever stayed anywhere for 2 years speaks for itself, his 4 years at City weren't without controversary but the moment Tevez crossed onto that pitch he gave us 100% every time, scored a lot of great and important goals and in reality I think if he hadn't returned when he did in 2012 then we wouldn't have been Champions that year and god knows what would have been if that hadn't happened, it would have been interesting to have seen Tevez play under Pep.
7. Yaya Toure - for me Yaya didn't exactly hit the ground running and for parts of the 1st half of the 2010/11 season I thought at times he looked dis-interested and lazy, something changed in the 1st few months of 2011 season with Yaya and it made City better too, he began to control games scoring huge goals along the way ripping down that banner, 2011/12 our blip came once Yaya went to ACON , the brace at Newcastle which allowed us to believe and the 2013/14 season he was simply unstoppable and was overlooked for Player of the year, huge player my only flaw with him he could go missing in European away games but he can be forgiven for what he played a huge part in our early success.
8. Ruben Dias - am I being controversial in putting Ruben ahead of Kompany? time will tell but for me Ruben is the best defender i've seen at City , his presence , leadership is similar to what Kompany possessed but it's what he has achieved and how quickly he adapted to our game in such a short space of time, his decision making is second to none, they guy is a colossus and future captain.
9. Vincent Kompany - when I saw Vinny make his debut back in 2008 v West Ham he reminded me of a young Patrick Vieira in the middle, thought even though Vinny was good for a couple of seasons, it was 2010/11 when he did improve his game and never looked back, amazing at both ends for us the Utd goal & the Leicester goal is the man stepping up when our forward players were frustrated, a player that fellow players and fans all respected and definitely a leader, unfortunately Vinny was a little unfortunate with injuries which did cost us especially in Europe but when we signed him nobody could have predicted in just how much of a City icon he would become.
10. Leroy Sane - this was the hardest as there are so many great players who could have made it onto list, reason I chose Sane was probably for his performances particularly in the 2017/18 season, he could do things nobody else could, at times I remember watching him thinking this lad could be a balon d'or winner he has that much technical ability, sure he wasn't a 9/10 every week and maybe was more of an impact player but it was the impact he had on the field , was disappointed to see him leave but knew it in the summer of 2018 after he was omitted from the Germany WC squad as he wasn't playing in Germany you know it's the start of Bayern tapping him up now, just wonder what he could have achieved if still with us.

I think anyone who saw Bell play would have him top of the list, although we've had quite a few in last 15 years starting to run him close.
I think as others have said its very difficult to compare different eras because of the difference in playing conditions, fitness levels, diets etc,
Also my memories of Colin Bell & players from that era are tied up with me being young, first experiences of watching football & going with my Dad & family & the great memories I have from that time,
Having said all that I have absolutely no doubt Colin Bell in his pomp (before his injury) would fit straight into a Pep team & still be a outstanding player, in fact I think Colin would have loved to play in the city team of the last few years & the playing conditions we have now.

Paul Lake I cry when I think of him I idolised. the things he could on to go on to.
these things are always the same with such differing opinions depending on the age you started watching football. Hard to disagree with many peoples choices but surprised that Paul Lake doesn't feature more. Maybe im looking through blue tinted glasses but always remember him being way ahead than anyone around him on the pitch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.