Our top ten players since ww2? A tough debate.

How do you "become a fan", your either born to it or not.

Rubbish.

I was born in Salford and surrounded by rag family members,i was bought rag kits and even taken to their games.As soon as i was able to recognise they were a club i despised,i wanted nothing to do with them,and despite the heartache,envy,and mostly the abuse that would bring.....i very quickly found my love for City.Over 40 years later.....it was one of the best decisions i ever made :-))

As for the list.....im not sure i could get it down to 10......but i'd ensure Andy Morrison was in there somewhere.

Yaya Toure - absolute beast and so skilful with it, looked like a bloke in a kids’ game.
Aguero - how can our record goalscorer not be up there! Legend.
David Silva - sublime talent, about ten moves ahead of everyone else on the pitch.
Haaland - though hopefully he’ll be number one after a couple more seasons!
Kompany - leader, warrior, brilliant attitude and proper hard defender.
de Bruyne - visionary, no-one can pass like he does or spot runners like him.
Tevez - loved his aggression and direct attacking, and a big ‘fuck you rags’ signing.
Rodri - the midfield general, gets better every season, closest we’ve had since to Yaya.
Gundogan - so influential, both as captain and by example and so many vital goals.
Walker - love his pace and aggression, quick defenders are brilliant and he’s quickest.

Almost impossible But here is my top 10,

C. Bell (best player I have seen in a city shirt).
D. Silva (second best I have seen in a city shirt).
Kompany (The best city captain I have witnessed).
Aguero (the best striker I have seen in a city shirt).
P. Doherty (my dads favorite player just above Bell).
B. Trautman (dad said he was a great keeper & just ahead of Swift in his opinion)
N. Young (I dont think he got the credit he deserved, fantastic player)
F. Lee (A vital part of a great team)
R. Marsh (My hero when I was a kid & still one of the most skillful players I have seen)
KDB (Probably the third best all round player I have seen in a city shirt)

Hopefully Haaland gets in the list in the next couple of years,
Toure was very close to getting in but not quite,
Kinky was a ray of sunshine in dark times but just missed out,
Summerbee & Doyle were also very close,
I could go on & on & on...............................

That's a very good list. I'd swap Bell and Silva, or just put them joint first at the top. But that argument could run and run.
Too early for Håland to be on that list, I agree.

Just one query: if you never actually saw Doherty play, though, can you really put him in? For me, it would be a bit like United fans who never saw Duncan Edwards play putting him in their all-time list. I know that players like Billy Wright, Nat Lofthouse and Tom Finney are spoken about with total awe by old-timers at their respective clubs, but I never saw anything of them, not even clips from television. I just know that they're legends.

1. Toure
2. Bell
3. Haaland
4. Aguero
5. De Bruyne
6. Silva
7. Kompany
8. Rodri
9. Gundogan
10. Tevez

Honest answer is there are far too many to mention. I'm only 30 but with each generation, players become more and more talented as the game and sports science progresses. Included Bell in the list as he embodies our club and is probably one of many who could get into any generation's team.

That's a very good list. I'd swap Bell and Silva, or just put them joint first at the top. But that argument could run and run.
Too early for Håland to be on that list, I agree.

Just one query: if you never actually saw Doherty play, though, can you really put him in? For me, it would be a bit like United fans who never saw Duncan Edwards play putting him in their all-time list. I know that players like Billy Wright, Nat Lofthouse and Tom Finney are spoken about with total awe by old-timers at their respective clubs, but I never saw anything of them, not even clips from television. I just know that they're legends.
Fair point, Dad said Doherty was the best player he ever saw hence the reason for including him & Trautman, but you are right I never watched either of them, if it was only players you have seen I would take those two out & probably include Yaya Toure & Kinky.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.