Overcrowding during Sheffield Wednesday-Newcastle FA Cup tie

This really does read badly doesn't it?

Is there only one “tunnel” entrance into the lower tier of Leppings lane? Seems a strange set up if so….

Looking at the pics seems loads of empty seats at the side but everyone crambed in the middle…..?

If the lower tier is unreserved seats then it is a problem of stand design.
If they are numbered seats, as I'm almost certain they will be, then the problem is likely to be due to Newcastle fans congregating in the central areas.
The third possibility is that there are just too many seats in the central areas, but this would have been obvious when other teams took the full allocation in the past. I think we had fans down there in the FA Cup a few years ago; did anybody see problems of overcrowding? - I was in the top tier but don't recall any comments at the time.

The whole stadium needs bulldozing. Awful design and that central tunnel is just bad news.

If they are numbered seats, as I'm almost certain they will be, then the problem is likely to be due to Newcastle fans congregating in the central areas.
The third possibility is that there are just too many seats in the central areas, but this would have been obvious when other teams took the full allocation in the past. I think we had fans down there in the FA Cup a few years ago; did anybody see problems of overcrowding? - I was in the top tier but don't recall any comments at the time.

I was there and apart from blocking the end of the aisle so we couldn’t get out it was ok

They unblocked the aisles after we complained to police …. We were initially ignored though

Unfortunately (for us anyway) money talks, we haven't got £20/30m to knock down a stand and rebuild especially as a League 1 team. Bar a handful of clubs most teams bring between 300-800 fans.

I agree why wasn't it knocked down in 1989 but a different time/era where if that happened 3/4 of stands/stadia in the Football League would have been bulldozed.

Regarding tickets I am not aware we sell unreserved seating tickets so the big question is why didn't Newcastle fans just go to their allocated seat(s), again that should be down to the stewards but as we know a student on £20 a game isn't going to challenge 10 half cut football fans to tell them to move it on.

The media story doesn't look good for us though and I can see us being hit with sanctions, I can see Talksport being all over this and saying the ground should be shut, but then what?

Even if it is down to fans congregating in certain areas, that shouldn't result in crowds of people finding themselves crammed in like that. When you're at an unfamiliar ground and trying to figure out where you're going, it's quite easy to find yourself stood in the way or suddenly stuck in a bottleneck of other fans. The design of the stadium and good stewarding should be able to guarantee people's safety regardless of whether people are congregating in a less than ideal spot.

Wasn’t unreserved when we went in the FA cup just before lockdown
Did we get the lower tier for that game? I can't remember as I was in the upper tier and funnily enough every time I've been to Hillsborough I've always been in the upper tier so I've never experienced what it's like in the lower tier of the Leppings Lane End. I must admit that I'd have thought since the disaster that there shouldn't be any issues with that tunnel and that end anymore so it comes as a bit of a shock to hear about this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.