Overcrowding during Sheffield Wednesday-Newcastle FA Cup tie

Newcastle fans had been allocated seats which had been covered to prevent people using them. Stewards were approached and the problem was highlighted to them, they were telling people to just sit anywhere. Lots of people had the same problem and once a few take up seats which are allocated to somebody else then they have to do the same, take somebody else’s seat which is shambolic.

It didn't help that the trains were on strike so everybody had to travel by road so loads of buses arrived late and the club only had 3 stewards checking tickets which meant that people were getting in late.

Relying on stewards is a joke, no football ground should rely on people to try and gloss over a section of a football ground which is way out of date.
Sounds like a Clusterf**k then!

Again the organisation for big games needs to be looked at, surely if tickets for seat/block A have been sold then set up of restricted seats should reflect this.

If this is down to SAG (Safety Advisory group) it will be interesting, as us and Sheffield United get restrictions that other clubs wouldn't, an example is the North Stand (one to your left if in away end) are not allowed to sell the last block nearest away fans. They say this is due to not enough exits in the stand but I believe the stand has 18 exits.
Rangers & Celtic can had a line of stewards seperating them, we have a block of seats, the NW Corner that no longer has any seats in and the side of the West Stand.

Newcastle fans had been allocated seats which had been covered to prevent people using them. Stewards were approached and the problem was highlighted to them, they were telling people to just sit anywhere. Lots of people had the same problem and once a few take up seats which are allocated to somebody else then they have to do the same, take somebody else’s seat which is shambolic.

It didn't help that the trains were on strike so everybody had to travel by road so loads of buses arrived late and the club only had 3 stewards checking tickets which meant that people were getting in late.

Relying on stewards is a joke, no football ground should rely on people to try and gloss over a section of a football ground which is way out of date.

According to one barcode quoted in the national press, when entering the stand and asking stewards for directions, they were told 'just go where you like'.
If that's the case (and I've no reason to doubt you) then the SWFC head of security needs a serious fucking over.
Also, I would think the stewards would have reported it fairly early and the seats made available. If it was reported and action wasn't taken then the security firm employing the stewards needs to be sacked.

That sounds terrible. The worst crushing I have been in at a City match was in that Leppings Lane stand...and that was before Hillsborough. Burnley is also very dangerous, especially in the concourse area and central tunnel. It is a disgrace in 2023 that fans are still being treated like animals.

It’s only the same as safe standing in Germany to be honest. 1.5 to 2 people per space. You get stands where there are 12,000 in there for European games and 18,000 in there for domestic games.

I know it’s a very old stand but I think there’s been loads made of this just because it’s the Leppings Lane stand at Hillsborough. If this had happened at, say, The Hawthorns, I don’t even think it makes the News.

I don’t think it’s a big deal really, fans can just stroll down to the bottom of stands these days and hop over the advertising boards if there are too many people in a stand, it’s not like there are fences pinning people in.

It’s only the same as safe standing in Germany to be honest. 1.5 people per space.

I think there’s been loads made of this just because it’s the Leppings Lane stand at Hillsborough. If this had happened at, say, The Hawthorns, I don’t even think it makes the News.

I don’t think it’s a big deal really, fans can just stroll down to the bottom of stands these days and hop over the advertising boards if there are too many people in a stand, it’s not like there are dances pinning

That sounds terrible. The worst crushing I have been in at a City match was in that Leppings Lane stand...and that was before Hillsborough. Burnley is also very dangerous, especially in the concourse area and central tunnel. It is a disgrace in 2023 that fans are still being treated like animals.
Fans are always treated like shit, except of course in corporate where the big $$$ are…

They should have bulldozed the place. Hard to watch a game there and not think about the 97 human beings who died there in disgraceful circumstances.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.