Overcrowding during Sheffield Wednesday-Newcastle FA Cup tie

Unfortunately (for us anyway) money talks, we haven't got £20/30m to knock down a stand and rebuild especially as a League 1 team. Bar a handful of clubs most teams bring between 300-800 fans.

I agree why wasn't it knocked down in 1989 but a different time/era where if that happened 3/4 of stands/stadia in the Football League would have been bulldozed.

Regarding tickets I am not aware we sell unreserved seating tickets so the big question is why didn't Newcastle fans just go to their allocated seat(s), again that should be down to the stewards but as we know a student on £20 a game isn't going to challenge 10 half cut football fans to tell them to move it on.

The media story doesn't look good for us though and I can see us being hit with sanctions, I can see Talksport being all over this and saying the ground should be shut, but then what?
@West Yorks Owl Good post. Instead of constantly attacking clubs the FA and Football League should use the millions of pounds they have stashed away to support clubs.

Parts of the bottom tier were mate. We were moaning that it should have been sold to us.
Mine was a numbered seat ticket in the lower tier towards the right hand side looking at the pitch...didnt know there was unreserved seating. The end of the aisles were netted off trapping us in.

Did we get the lower tier for that game? I can't remember as I was in the upper tier and funnily enough every time I've been to Hillsborough I've always been in the upper tier so I've never experienced what it's like in the lower tier of the Leppings Lane End. I must admit that I'd have thought since the disaster that there shouldn't be any issues with that tunnel and that end anymore so it comes as a bit of a shock to hear about this.
I was in the lower tier. Sat next to Dave Wallace and his Mrs. (King of the Kippax fanzine)

@West Yorks Owl Good post. Instead of constantly attacking clubs the FA and Football League should use the millions of pounds they have stashed away to support clubs.
Wasn't part of the ESL that there would be a slush fund for stadium upgrades? I know it was (again) heavily weighted to the Big 6 but it's a shame that this type of thing doesn't exist for all clubs, as a loan potentially?

The good thing is, these days it’s not such a big issue that there are three to a seat and people need to move forward because we can just step over the advertising boards to the foot of the pitch.

Unfortunately (for us anyway) money talks, we haven't got £20/30m to knock down a stand and rebuild especially as a League 1 team. Bar a handful of clubs most teams bring between 300-800 fans.

I agree why wasn't it knocked down in 1989 but a different time/era where if that happened 3/4 of stands/stadia in the Football League would have been bulldozed.

Regarding tickets I am not aware we sell unreserved seating tickets so the big question is why didn't Newcastle fans just go to their allocated seat(s), again that should be down to the stewards but as we know a student on £20 a game isn't going to challenge 10 half cut football fans to tell them to move it on.

The media story doesn't look good for us though and I can see us being hit with sanctions, I can see Talksport being all over this and saying the ground should be shut, but then what?
Newcastle fans had been allocated seats which had been covered to prevent people using them. Stewards were approached and the problem was highlighted to them, they were telling people to just sit anywhere. Lots of people had the same problem and once a few take up seats which are allocated to somebody else then they have to do the same, take somebody else’s seat which is shambolic.

It didn't help that the trains were on strike so everybody had to travel by road so loads of buses arrived late and the club only had 3 stewards checking tickets which meant that people were getting in late.

Relying on stewards is a joke, no football ground should rely on people to try and gloss over a section of a football ground which is way out of date.

According to one barcode quoted in the national press, when entering the stand and asking stewards for directions, they were told 'just go where you like'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.