Overseas support

Ascetic said:
sir baconface said:
I dislike "glory hunters" as much as the next person. But let's not kid ourselves; it's a knee-jerk reaction with no real logic in the modern context.

Try a little quiz. How many of the following were born, raised or have family connections in Manc?

- The owner
- The Chairman
- The Chief Exec
- The Director of Football
- The manager
- The first team squad
- Past legends, e.g. The King, Bert Trautmann, Kinky and the Goat?

Answer: three fifths of fcuk all. Substitute England for Manchester and we might find a couple of cuckoos in the nest. Because we are just a ship sailing under a flag of convenience. The only connections with Manchester are the ground location, the traditional fan base and the leasehold on club history.

Now someone please prove me wrong because it pisses me off to make this post.

I'm Chilean and I have no shame in saying I'm a fan because of Pellegrini. As I told other blues from the forum, it's really great for to (finally!) watch the Premier League from a non-neutral point of view. I've followed Pellegrini's managerial career since the 90s and I haven't liked all of his teams (much less becoming a fan) but I plan on going to the Etihad on February and maybe even sneak at Stamford Bridge to the see the blues beat the chavs.

I hope visiting Manchester will be a great experience, I really do. My girl is coming with me (we're both huge fans of The Smiths) and it would break my heart if we don't enjoy our short time there because someone might believe we're "glory hunters" or our English is not good enough. It's short sighted. I lived in Argentina for a while (the same thing goes in Brazil believe me) and people would openly ask me which club I supported (River obviously). They expected me to follow one of their clubs, as simple as that. And the main reason is because this or that Chilean player had a connection to this or that club. These tourists described on this board might be fans of a particular player and they'll remember how they were treated and how great a time they had supporting the club.

That's why great clubs like Madrid or (gasp) Barcelona continue to be popular globally. When I visited Madrid's museum a while back they would still talk to me about Zamorano, despite the fact it was almost 20 years ago he played there. Same for Salas in River Plate. That's how you build a brand and, believe it or not, loyalty (!) outside the M60.
Astetic .you & your girl wi lllove it & be made so welcome post on here when you are coming as am sure some on here could meet up with you .there is plenty for you to see & do when you come over. stick a post on just before you come & people will give you advice on where to go what to do .Tour of the ground ,National Football Museum & Rafas El Rincon tavern are a must

Ascetic said:
Tim of the Oak said:
Ascetic said:
I'm Chilean and I have no shame in saying I'm a fan because of Pellegrini. As I told other blues from the forum, it's really great for to (finally!) watch the Premier League from a non-neutral point of view. I've followed Pellegrini's managerial career since the 90s and I haven't liked all of his teams (much less becoming a fan) but I plan on going to the Etihad on February and maybe even sneak at Stamford Bridge to the see the blues beat the chavs.

I hope visiting Manchester will be a great experience, I really do. My girl is coming with me (we're both huge fans of The Smiths) and it would break my heart if we don't enjoy our short time there because someone might believe we're "glory hunters" or our English is not good enough. It's short sighted. I lived in Argentina for a while (the same thing goes in Brazil believe me) and people would openly ask me which club I supported (River obviously). They expected me to follow one of their clubs, as simple as that. And the main reason is because this or that Chilean player had a connection to this or that club. These tourists described on this board might be fans of a particular player and they'll remember how they were treated and how great a time they had supporting the club.

That's why great clubs like Madrid or (gasp) Barcelona continue to be popular globally. When I visited Madrid's museum a while back they would still talk to me about Zamorano, despite the fact it was almost 20 years ago he played there. Same for Salas in River Plate. That's how you build a brand and, believe it or not, loyalty (!) outside the M60.

Hi Ascetic

I wouldn't worry about getting a poor reception in Manchester. Most Blues will be impressed that you have travelled such a long way to support the lads. You will be even more welcome with a Pellegrini T shirt on.

In recent weeks I have invited Italian and Dutch supporters to games and they all had a good time.

You may need to be a bit more careful if you are visiting places associated with the Smiths (such as the Salford Lads Club) where it is a bit rougher.

Cheers Tim of the Oak. I've been reading and enjoying the great advice of "Morrissey's Manchester" so I'm well aware ;)

Nevermind that living and having done business in Latin America I can tell you about rough.

And I'm well aware as well of the proud cultural heritage of Manchester. Looking forward to have a few pints with whoever wants to join us.
which part of Chile are you based?

callumcity said:
The only thing I have a problem with is all the American fans we're getting who pretend they know what they're talking about, use their own made up terms and comment on YouTube videos talking about how we should sign Ronaldo and rooney. E.g. " City should totally sign Cristiano Ronaldo, that guys awesome he's exactly what we need. Did you see his 360 flip kick the other day".

They also say shit like cleats instead of boots and steal instead of tackle. It makes my fucking blood boil. Other than this though, I have no problem with anybody supporting city as long as they don't pretend they've been a fan since we were "shit" and have no decent local team to support. Even if we take the piss out of United for all their fans coming from Asia, down South or Ireland.

Pisses me off when people don't support the team from where they're from as well. No need for twts in London to support united when they must surely have a decent local team.

Please feel free to fuck off. To judge American blues in general based on YouTube comments is ludicrous. Say what you will about keeping the nature of the club local, but if calling boots cleats rates as a problem in your life then you are a lucky man.

Instant_Offense said:
callumcity said:
The only thing I have a problem with is all the American fans we're getting who pretend they know what they're talking about, use their own made up terms and comment on YouTube videos talking about how we should sign Ronaldo and rooney. E.g. " City should totally sign Cristiano Ronaldo, that guys awesome he's exactly what we need. Did you see his 360 flip kick the other day".

They also say shit like cleats instead of boots and steal instead of tackle. It makes my fucking blood boil. Other than this though, I have no problem with anybody supporting city as long as they don't pretend they've been a fan since we were "shit" and have no decent local team to support. Even if we take the piss out of United for all their fans coming from Asia, down South or Ireland.

Pisses me off when people don't support the team from where they're from as well. No need for twts in London to support united when they must surely have a decent local team.

Please feel free to fuck off. To judge American blues in general based on YouTube comments is ludicrous. Say what you will about keeping the nature of the club local, but if calling boots cleats rates as a problem in your life then you are a lucky man.

You took quite a lot of offense there didn't ya, instant offense?

To be fair 'cleats' is a fucking shite word and deserving of ire.

twosips said:
Instant_Offense said:
callumcity said:

You took quite a lot of offense there didn't ya, instant offense?

To be fair 'cleats' is a fucking shite word and deserving of ire.

we have to give them time to learn the right terminology. I hate the word "soccer" but they'll catch up one day. soon they'll be walking round singing "we're not really here" and the locals will think wtf :)

blues are blues.

Ireland is an interesting example:
You can't take all of the best players out of a country - usually before they've even had a chance to play in their domestic league and then say "no, you piss off and support the leftovers, Paddy. You're not welcome here - only your best players are."
Life doesn't work like that and, to be fair most locals accept the situation for the way it is.

Ascetic said:
sir baconface said:
I dislike "glory hunters" as much as the next person. But let's not kid ourselves; it's a knee-jerk reaction with no real logic in the modern context.

Try a little quiz. How many of the following were born, raised or have family connections in Manc?

- The owner
- The Chairman
- The Chief Exec
- The Director of Football
- The manager
- The first team squad
- Past legends, e.g. The King, Bert Trautmann, Kinky and the Goat?

Answer: three fifths of fcuk all. Substitute England for Manchester and we might find a couple of cuckoos in the nest. Because we are just a ship sailing under a flag of convenience. The only connections with Manchester are the ground location, the traditional fan base and the leasehold on club history.

Now someone please prove me wrong because it pisses me off to make this post.

Enjoy your trip when you visit Manchester.

Take in a game (Newcastle at home maybe a good home fixture in February), maybe even a Stadium Tour and visit the CFA, Hope you have a great time and will want to come back again, and will continue to follow City.

Remember once a Blue always a Blue , you will find you can't escape following City, once hooked, even if you try, no matter what.

Wasn't David Pizarro who we had on loan in Jan 2012 - June 2012 from Roma also a Chilean (Think he scored for us in a 2nd Leg Europa League tie v Porto at the Etihad)?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.