Overseas support

mancity2012_eamo said:
BongoBlue said:
mancity2012_eamo said:
Nice one Bingo. You have to educate the young uns.
Can't have them going over to the darkside. It must have been a nightmare in Cork during the Keane years.

Very true... t'was grim all right. I got into many an argument but of course I was well over here by the time Saipan happened. So I just took the opportunity to give it large about him any time I went home. ("He's nothing but a fuckin' traitor...etc. etc".) Well I felt it was my duty you know.

Strangely enough, I actually played against him many moons ago in a challenge (friendly - yeah...) match when he was only a young lad. Didn't realize it at the time. He was a cranky little fucker back then too. And when he joined United years later and I realized who he was, it only justified my decision to follow City all the more.

Too many people in Cork took the easy way out - red jersey for Cork and United - yeah it's only natural and all that shite. Bollocks; I wasn't having any of it. I only wear red if Cork are playing in an All-Ireland. No other time.

Once a Blue I guess...;)

gordondaviesmoustache said:
People may not like it, but the concept of supporting your local club being the default setting for the rump of football fans is as anachronistic as Panini Stickers and Gola Boots.

Changes in football mirror and encompass those in wider society. The world is getting smaller and smaller. Why should the same value system apply to every supporter following a football club as thirty years ago? It simply makes no sense.

You may as well rail at the loss of British countryside brought about as a result of the construction of motorways.

The world that spawned footballing support comprised almost exclusively from its own local community simply is no more.

odd though that when not supporting the local side they pick the team at the top of the league. rag cunts.

Corky said:
People may not like it, but the concept of supporting your local club being the default setting for the rump of football fans is as anachronistic as Panini Stickers and Gola Boots.

Changes in football mirror and encompass those in wider society. The world is getting smaller and smaller. Why should the same value system apply to every supporter following a football club as thirty years ago? It simply makes no sense.

You may as well rail at the loss of British countryside brought about as a result of the construction of motorways.

The world that spawned footballing support comprised almost exclusively from its own local community simply is no more.

This does not apply to the lower leagues though does it? Just the top 30 clubs or so in Europe.

The rest remain real football clubs.
What do you mean by 'real'?

Corky said:

This does not apply to the lower leagues though does it? Just the top 30 clubs or so in Europe.

you know, real fans. not posh fucks. them that swear and that.

Well I for one don't want any foreign flowers spoiling our British countryside. Bloody daffodils should clear off home. Green and yellow twats.

de niro said:
Corky said:

you know, real fans. not posh fucks. them that swear and that.
That's the first time someone's ever accused me of not swearing!

Make sure you mention that to my mum next time you see her ;-)

KansasCityBlue said:
I'm American and follow City as much as any of my favorite sports teams in the states. Been following and supporting the club since I got into the sport.

Like another post I saw on this thread, a lot of my friends give me shit for following the sport, because here in the states, sports like American football, basketball, baseball, etc reign supreme. However, I find football just as enjoyable, if not more than any of those sports. It's funny to see the bandwagon support of it that comes with every World Cup, but I welcome more supporters to the sport over here.

For any of you who watched some of the preseason in the states in the last few years, you may have noticed the crowds are much more supporting of the rags, pool, Chelsea and the Spanish giants. This is one of the main reasons I started following City. A lot of my friends were supporters of the aforementioned clubs and I, myself wanted to break the norm. I'll admit I didn't start following the sport until the World Cup in 2006, but I've seen City play a couple times in the states and am saving up (currently a broke college student) and can't wait for the day to see them play live at the Etihad.

I think the great thing about this sport, as opposed to those more popular in my homeland, is that the support for it comes from all around the world. Anytime I spot someone wearing a City shirt all over America I always try to strike up a conversation. Looking forward to the day I can do the same with some of you in Manchester!

Hopefully if City continue to win trophies for the next decade +, the support around the world for us will grow. Liverpool and Trafford have some 25-30 years start on us, hence their popularity around various parts of the world. I also suspect that in places like Boston, New York etc with a large Irish population that explains why Liverpool and Trafford are\have been popular. Madrid and Barca have popularity in the sates due to their recent Champions Laegue success and possibly a large Spanish population contingent in certain cities.

Keep supporting City, we will get there, despite the best attempts of elements within the media keen for us to fail.

Best wishes and hopefully you will get to go to see City at the Etihad or maybe even at a Wembley Cup Final or at a European Cup Final at some point.

BongoBlue said:

Very true... t'was grim all right. I got into many an argument but of course I was well over here by the time Saipan happened. So I just took the opportunity to give it large about him any time I went home. ("He's nothing but a fuckin' traitor...etc. etc".) Well I felt it was my duty you know.

Strangely enough, I actually played against him many moons ago in a challenge (friendly - yeah...) match when he was only a young lad. Didn't realize it at the time. He was a cranky little fucker back then too. And when he joined United years later and I realized who he was, it only justified my decision to follow City all the more.

Too many people in Cork took the easy way out - red jersey for Cork and United - yeah it's only natural and all that shite. Bollocks; I wasn't having any of it. I only wear red if Cork are playing in an All-Ireland. No other time.

Once a Blue I guess...;)

Very admirable. It was bad enough in Dublin but at least you had the ABU's (Anyone But United). Saying anything against Keane in Cork was a definite no-no. Sorry about calling you Bingo....that's the bloody predictive text on my phone.

There was about 8 German lads sat infront of me at the Everton game who were quite amusing. Tried taking about 6 pints each to their seats and sneaked endless amounts of beer in with them. All pissed out of their heads but pretty harmless. Definitely attracting a wider market of fan these days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.