Overseas support

I'm American and follow City as much as any of my favorite sports teams in the states. Been following and supporting the club since I got into the sport.

Like another post I saw on this thread, a lot of my friends give me shit for following the sport, because here in the states, sports like American football, basketball, baseball, etc reign supreme. However, I find football just as enjoyable, if not more than any of those sports. It's funny to see the bandwagon support of it that comes with every World Cup, but I welcome more supporters to the sport over here.

For any of you who watched some of the preseason in the states in the last few years, you may have noticed the crowds are much more supporting of the rags, pool, Chelsea and the Spanish giants. This is one of the main reasons I started following City. A lot of my friends were supporters of the aforementioned clubs and I, myself wanted to break the norm. I'll admit I didn't start following the sport until the World Cup in 2006, but I've seen City play a couple times in the states and am saving up (currently a broke college student) and can't wait for the day to see them play live at the Etihad.

I think the great thing about this sport, as opposed to those more popular in my homeland, is that the support for it comes from all around the world. Anytime I spot someone wearing a City shirt all over America I always try to strike up a conversation. Looking forward to the day I can do the same with some of you in Manchester!

KansasCityBlue said:
I'm American and follow City as much as any of my favorite sports teams in the states. Been following and supporting the club since I got into the sport.

Like another post I saw on this thread, a lot of my friends give me shit for following the sport, because here in the states, sports like American football, basketball, baseball, etc reign supreme. However, I find football just as enjoyable, if not more than any of those sports. It's funny to see the bandwagon support of it that comes with every World Cup, but I welcome more supporters to the sport over here.

For any of you who watched some of the preseason in the states in the last few years, you may have noticed the crowds are much more supporting of the rags, pool, Chelsea and the spanish giants. This is one of the main reasons I started following City. A lot of my friends were supporters of the aforementioned clubs and I, myself wanted to break the norm. I'll admit I didn't start following the sport until the World Cup until 2006, but I've seen City play a couple times in the states and am saving up (currently a broke college student) and can't wait for the day to see them play live at the Etihad.

I think the great thing about this sport, as opposed to those more popular in my homeland, is that the support for it comes from all around the world. Anytime I spot someone wearing a City shirt all over America I always try to strike up a conversation. Looking forward to the day I can do the same with some of you in Manchester!

You will be welcomed mate

Manchester is a fantastic City to visit in it's own right, and not that expensive when compared to London plus with the UK not being that big of a place (in comparison to North America) you can get around quite easily

KansasCityBlue said:

For any of you who watched some of the preseason in the states in the last few years, you may have noticed the crowds are much more supporting of the rags, pool, Chelsea and the spanish giants. This is one of the main reasons I started following City. A lot of my friends were supporters of the aforementioned clubs and I, myself wanted to break the norm. I'll admit I didn't start following the sport until the World Cup until 2006, but I've seen City play a couple times in the states and am saving up (currently a broke college student) and can't wait for the day to see them play live at the Etihad.

I'm similar to you mate. I didn't really have an interest in 'soccer' until the 2006 world cup when Australia were involved. Most people support utd, liverpool and arsenal here in Aus.

You'll make it to Manchester one day! I finally made it to Eastlands early last year after travelling to the UK after completing uni. It was freezing! haha

People may not like it, but the concept of supporting your local club being the default setting for the rump of football fans is as anachronistic as Panini Stickers and Gola Boots.

Changes in football mirror and encompass those in wider society. The world is getting smaller and smaller. Why should the same value system apply to every supporter following a football club as thirty years ago? It simply makes no sense.

You may as well rail at the loss of British countryside brought about as a result of the construction of motorways.

The world that spawned footballing support comprised almost exclusively from its own local community simply is no more.

lazza said:
Ascetic said:
I'm Chilean and I have no shame in saying I'm a fan because of Pellegrini. As I told other blues from the forum, it's really great for to (finally!) watch the Premier League from a non-neutral point of view. I've followed Pellegrini's managerial career since the 90s and I haven't liked all of his teams (much less becoming a fan) but I plan on going to the Etihad on February and maybe even sneak at Stamford Bridge to the see the blues beat the chavs.

I hope visiting Manchester will be a great experience, I really do. My girl is coming with me (we're both huge fans of The Smiths) and it would break my heart if we don't enjoy our short time there because someone might believe we're "glory hunters" or our English is not good enough. It's short sighted. I lived in Argentina for a while (the same thing goes in Brazil believe me) and people would openly ask me which club I supported (River obviously). They expected me to follow one of their clubs, as simple as that. And the main reason is because this or that Chilean player had a connection to this or that club. These tourists described on this board might be fans of a particular player and they'll remember how they were treated and how great a time they had supporting the club.

That's why great clubs like Madrid or (gasp) Barcelona continue to be popular globally. When I visited Madrid's museum a while back they would still talk to me about Zamorano, despite the fact it was almost 20 years ago he played there. Same for Salas in River Plate. That's how you build a brand and, believe it or not, loyalty (!) outside the M60.

and...

Ascetic said:
I think I might get away with one of the museums and the game but not both. I'm not travelling alone and given the girl and I both are fans of The Smiths it'll be a negotiation over what we do.

As for the weather I'm counting on proper winter. We're heading to Edinburgh immediately afterwards and I need the break from an already scorching austral summer.

Your English, sir, is quite possibly better than mine!

Enjoy your trip.... it's one hell of a long way to come, so I hope it doesn't turn out "typical City" for you!
His taste in music is pretty awful though!

I came over to NZ with the family in 2004 shortly after the move to the Etihad. Had season tickets with my two lads from the Howard Kendall era right through us emigrating. Can't believe what's happened to City since Sheik Mansoor has taken over. I remember reading about the first days of the takeover when they had that clown of a spokesman who basically said we were going buy all the big players in the world. I thought they were just another bunch of chancers. I guess my pessimism was a direct result of everything turning to shit as far as City is concerned for 15 or so years. Couldn't have been more wrong I'm glad to say. In fact I would say our owners have more integrity than any other owners in the premiership. Very proud of the club and what has been achieved in the last few years.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
People may not like it, but the concept of supporting your local club being the default setting for the rump of football fans is as anachronistic as Panini Stickers and Gola Boots.

Changes in football mirror and encompass those in wider society. The world is getting smaller and smaller. Why should the same value system apply to every supporter following a football club as thirty years ago? It simply makes no sense.

You may as well rail at the loss of British countryside brought about as a result of the construction of motorways.

The world that spawned footballing support comprised almost exclusively from its own local community simply is no more.

This does not apply to the lower leagues though does it? Just the top 30 clubs or so in Europe.

The rest remain real football clubs.

I'm Irish and I was on the bus when that clown was singing fuck the Pope, the IRA, catholics, anti Muslim songs and just being a racist prick and yet the most offensive thing he said was to accuse those at the other end of the bus ( where I was standing) of only supporting City thru the good times. His defence was that he's been going home and away for years where as I and many others can only make it a few times a season. However pricks like that can get a defeat out of their system a lot quicker than me and many others who he claims are gloryhunters

I don't think any of us not from Manchester believe we are anything like the supporters that turn up week in week out and did so when the team or club really needed it most.
I for one distinguish between a supporter and a fan or follower. All are valid and whichever you are I believe City have a place for you.
The club have huge ambition. I agree with the locals that the heart and soul of the club has to stay with the local community and I think it is admirable that the plans for the future seem to cement this.
I hope the core support doesn't resent new supporters as I think the plans the CFG have will go way beyond Manchester.

There is a fabulous post by a guy called Petrusha on page 1283 of the City & FFP thread that I think deserves a wider audience. It's long but worth it.
I think it is a great read for New Fans and old supporters.
I agree with everything in it and it tells where this club has been and where it is going.

I'm Irish and I was on the bus when that clown was singing fuck the Pope, the IRA, catholics, anti Muslim songs and just being a racist prick and yet the most offensive thing he said was to accuse those at the other end of the bus ( where I was standing) of only supporting City thru the good times. His defence was that he's been going home and away for years where as I and many others can only make it a few times a season. However pricks like that can get a defeat out of their system a lot quicker than me and many others who he claims are gloryhunters

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.