Owning a nice watch

I wish I had seen thread a while back, I have been after a certain Omega for a few years, it’s a limited edition De Ville, only 1000 made, every time I see one for sale, it’s either got no box or papers, or the box it comes with isn’t / doesn’t look like the original, think I have only found one that looked like the complete deal. So I am now looking at a Rolex Datejust, referring back to the article posted by The Perfect Fumble a good few pages back it seems it’s not a simple process. It’s our 25 th wedding Anniversary next May, so we are buying a decent watch each, I knew there was a wait for a new Rolo, but reading that article……Jesus, it’s like you are humiliated for even having the nerve to ask, is it still like this now, say if you went in Watches of Switzerland in town?
Does anyone know if you can buy a Cartier over the counter or do you have to plead, grovel, sign off half your house for one of those as well?
Pretty much, you make an appointment with the AD. You tell them which watch you are after and they ask you all sorts of questions about yourself and they then deem if you are worthy of owning a Rolex. If you are they then "register your interest" in your chosen watch. You then wait for the call from them to say that your watch is available to buy. Depending on the model will depend on the wait. You might not have to wait that long for a Datejust as those are the ones that are made in the greatest volume.

Pretty much, you make an appointment with the AD. You tell them which watch you are after and they ask you all sorts of questions about yourself and they then deem if you are worthy of owning a Rolex. If you are they then "register your interest" in your chosen watch. You then wait for the call from them to say that your watch is available to buy. Depending on the model will depend on the wait. You might not have to wait that long for a Datejust as those are the ones that are made in the greatest volume.
Wow, cheers for the response, I wouldn’t mind as much if the watches I am after were £100’s of thousands of pounds, for the 2 it’s only around £10k, …..I think I will look at the used market for mine, they seem to be slightly more expensive, but I already don’t want to give a shop that kind of money if that’s what you have to do

Wow, cheers for the response, I wouldn’t mind as much if the watches I am after were £100’s of thousands of pounds, for the 2 it’s only around £10k, …..I think I will look at the used market for mine, they seem to be slightly more expensive, but I already don’t want to give a shop that kind of money if that’s what you have to do
Oddly, you stand more chance of getting one of the precious metal or bi metal watches quicker than the stainless models, especially the sports models. The Datejust is a great watch and it's worth trying at an AD first before going to the grey market.

If I spent that much on a watch, I'd be terrified to wear it out in public among the plebs. Which, I suppose, kind of defeats the purpose of owning such an item. Not much point owning such a watch if you can't show it off in public.
Why would you be terrified ?

My son wears his expensive watch every day 24/7 it's still in perfect nick, obviously takes it off if playing footie or gardening jobs, things like that.

I had the white dial explorer and i traded it in against a Rolex deep sea ( blue/black dial ) 2 years ago,i paid £7,000 for the explorer and got £10,000 for the trade in,but prices have dropped this last 18 months and you would not get anything near £10,000 now,i paid a total of £15,000 ( minus the trade in ) for the deep sea but now they are going for about £12,000,i would advise buy now while the prices are down and sit on it as in the long run you wont lose on a Rolex.
Just got mine from AD, waited 12 months, treated myself for my 60th.

Attachments

• IMG_6546.jpeg
    IMG_6546.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.