Owning a nice watch

I've had one since our house was burgled about 10 years ago - the insurance company were insistent on giving me vouchers to use at a jewellers, as they get massive incentives. It worked in my favour, as they were pretty generous, so was able to get a much more expensive watch than the one that got nicked!
Mine is 45.5mm though, so a real beast. I do still wear it quite often, but these days I tend to buy watches from AliExpress that cost peanuts in comparison and I enjoy owning them just as much, because I can buy more of them!
Hope you enjoy yours!

View attachment 126489
I have a professional sea master with blue dial which looks great but that one you have there is very,very nice as well

I've had one since our house was burgled about 10 years ago - the insurance company were insistent on giving me vouchers to use at a jewellers, as they get massive incentives. It worked in my favour, as they were pretty generous, so was able to get a much more expensive watch than the one that got nicked!
Mine is 45.5mm though, so a real beast. I do still wear it quite often, but these days I tend to buy watches from AliExpress that cost peanuts in comparison and I enjoy owning them just as much, because I can buy more of them!
Hope you enjoy yours!

View attachment 126489
Love your Omega mate. I love that style.

Do you mind telling me which watches you get from Ali as I'm thinking of trying a couple.

Not sure about that one mate,i think with money being tight Rolex owners are selling now as they think prices will fall further,i'm certainly not selling my SUB or my Deep Sea as prices will recover big time in my humble opinion in the not to distance future
It's a combination of things. Sales of cheap watches are well down. People use phones. Smart watches have also changed the market as they can be expensive but no investment value. So watches generally are not selling.

Except the most expensive ones where people see them as investments. But the value of old high end watches is linked to how rare they were. They were only sold in small numbers in limited places. Now they are mass produced and sold everywhere. So they aren't ever going to be rare.

I'm slightly worried about the strap now with water as many online are saying it's no good for water use but why would Omega sell a Planet Ocean with a strap like this if its not meant to be used in the water?

Primarily it's a dress watch but I'd still like to take it on holiday and not worry about the pool etc and I'm just thinking get another rubber strap but it's another £260 without a clasp.
Don’t worry. The leather bit is treated and is fine with water.
I’d maybe not do a full dive with it but you can absolutely swim in it on holiday.

Quick addition to my comments about my Citizen CZ Gen-2 hybrid: The watch is not waterproof.
It's OK for wearing in the rain, it will resist sweat while exercising, and it's OK if it gets wet when washing the car (or even the pots).
There's a lot of stuff online explaining the true meaning of the water resistant claims for watches.

Love your Omega mate. I love that style.

Do you mind telling me which watches you get from Ali as I'm thinking of trying a couple.
In order, I'd say San Martin are the best quality, followed closely by Cronos - but these are also more expensive, anything from £150-£300 depending on model. Then you've got Seagull at about £100, who have been making watches for the Chinese military since the 50s. Between £40-£100 you've got brands like SteelDive and Pagani Design.

I would start with something like this from Steeldive - it's based on a '70s Seiko made famous by the character Captain Willard in Apocalypse Now. It's also known as the 'turtle', after the shape of the case and is very comfortable to wear. The movement is an automatic Seiko NH35 and it has a stainless steel case and sapphire crystal glass. For £48 delivered to the UK, it is a bargain!

AliExpress have sales every few months, so sometimes it's worth waiting to get good discounts.

Last edited:
In order, I'd say San Martin are the best quality, followed closely by Cronos - but these are also more expensive, anything from £150-£300 depending on model. Then you've got Seagull at about £100, who have been making watches for the Chinese military since the 50s. Between £40-£100 you've got brands like SteelDive and Pagani Design.

I would start with something like this from Steeldive - it's based on a '70s Seiko made famous by the character Captain Willard in Apocalypse Now. It's also known as the 'turtle', after the shape of the case and is very comfortable to wear. The movement is an automatic Seiko NH35 and it has a stainless steel case and sapphire crystal glass. For £48 delivered to the UK, it is a bargain!

AliExpress have sales every few months, so sometimes it's worth waiting to get good discounts.

Love posts like this.

Treated myself to this watch last Xmas.
Kept coming up on Facebook adverts, watches with woman with their pet dog or couples together etc. Just send in the picture and then have a free engravement on the back.
Sent in the City badge and the words for the engravement all for $79.99.
The strap is all wood apart from the metal link on each side that join together
Love it
20240727_103838.jpg20240727_103947.jpg

If anyone has any specific questions about AliExpress watches, I'll be happy to try and help - I've bought enough of the bloody things!

It's amazing just how much of a nice/quality watch you can get and sure, they are just daily beaters but it's a great way to start collecting.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.