P & O

The For Sale signs went up in the 70's for overseas "investors" - if we don't take action now we will be exactly what the Tories want us to be - enriching their buddies and always in hock - I have kids and am concerned for their futures. A label is just a label - look behind any "British" label and there is no need for loyalty to its overseas owners.

Vauxhall - a great old British name - formerly American owned now French - traded internationally in 2019 and there was nothing that could be done
Ford - UK arm just about closed years ago - now just makes some engines.
Land Rover -Indian owned
Jaguar - same
ASDA - American
BA - 50% Spanish owned
Lotus - and a number of famous British car brands Chinese owns
MINI - German
Hotpoint - American and Chinese owned

There is no need to hang on to good old Blighty brand loyalty because the sticker on the bonnet/Grille/fridge door that looks familiar is just to sucker you in left there by a foreign owner
It's too late because all of this took place decades ago. UK manufacturing has remained thanks to foreign investment but the lucrative design and R&D type jobs have long gone. All of those jobs are back in the home countries of the foreign ownership of the companies based here.

The reality is this is happening because of the lip service made to the finance industry over the last 20 years. We're now a service economy and where we once made things instead the greatest British industry now is finance. That finance isn't good finance though, it's shark finance and in many respects the deal for a foreign company to buy a British company will be brokered by British finance (and the reward banked and spent as bonuses).

I'm a big fan of Elon Musk and I read something he said a few years ago which was the biggest problem facing technological innovation for the future is the increasing domination of the finance industry. The reason why is bright kids are coming out of university and instead of getting useful jobs they're getting finance or consultancy jobs because they pay far more.

I knew a really clever girl at university on my course, she got the highest marks for her degree and masters in Aerospace Engineering, she went on to work as a tax consultant for Ernst and Young????

The funny thing is P&O ferries won't have decided to do what they've done themselves, they'll be advised because of the savings they'll make and I wonder who gets paid to provide that advice.....? I'd bet my house that it's one of the big British based consultancies.

Not really answered my point have you.
To answer your point:
It was a light hearted comment. I am not an aggressive nasty poster. Clearly they need to be aware of the damage a different company but with virtually the same name, could do to their business.
Whilst re branding would be expensive they need to consider how they can limit any damage.

Oh of course, just remembered why the nastiness. Oh well.

To answer your point:
It was a light hearted comment. I am not an aggressive nasty poster. Clearly they need to be aware of the damage a different company but with virtually the same name, could do to their business.
Whilst re branding would be expensive they need to consider how they can limit any damage.

It’s a bit like West Didsbury being a bit shitter than the real Didsbury.

I'm no fan of Barry Gardiner, in fact I've often said he is as thick as mince. But credit for this.

Ahh,..Barry Gardiner. Labour MP who took £500,000 of Chinese money to allow some one to have access to his Diary and didn’t think it was suspicious at the time. He wouldn’t be my role model.

To answer your point:

You're a bit touchy aren't you. You made what I thought was a daft comment and I made a blunt response. It wasn't like I called you a **** or anything.
Get over it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.