Panic On The Streets of Tampa! / Hurricane Milton

You would be horrified by how many people either simply don’t believe the warnings or think they can ride out the storm because they have done so in the past, especially in Florida. A neighbour’s father was actually among those that were sadly killed by Hurricane Irma when he refused to live his beach house and then decided to go check on his boat.

Whilst some people could be missed, that is always possible with responses this broad and complex in scope, emergency services always prioritise those people that are known to be unable to evacuate on their own (or would have extreme difficulty doing so), and they are usually the first to be assisted well before the storm arrives.

Barring some truly dumbfounding incompetence—and this is Florida we are talking about, so that definitely cannot be ruled out—the vast majority that will have remained as the hurricane hits will have done so of their own accord, and should know the risk they are taking on (many emergency services have said, unequivocally, that if you remain in mandatory evacuation zones you will not be rescued).
I saw on this morning's news a older bloke saying they had x amount of days food and 2 generators so will ride the storm out......reminded me of

Mind your car Sir?

I don't need it minding there's an Alsatian inside.

Ah but can he put out fires?

I saw on this morning's news a older bloke saying they had x amount of days food and 2 generators so will ride the storm out......reminded me of

Mind your car Sir?

There are some absolute nutters...

Mind your car Sir?

There are some absolute nutters...

This is Florida we’re talking about.

Just a reminder of the official guidance from the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale, for the forecasted category of Milton when it makes landfall later today (which does not even mention storm surge and flooding danger, which is a critique of the scale):

Category Four Hurricane

Winds 130-156 mph (113-136 kt or 209-251 km/hr).

Catastrophic damage will occur: Well-built framed homes can sustain severe damage with loss of most of the roof structure and/or some exterior walls. Most trees will be snapped or uprooted and power poles downed. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months. The 1888, 1900, 1919, 1926 Great Miami, 1928 Lake Okeechobee/Palm Beach, 1947, Donna of 1960 made landfall in South Florida as Category Four hurricanes.

“If you are in a single story home that is hit by a 15ft storm surge, which means that water comes in immediately, there’s nowhere to go,” said the mayor of Tampa, Jane Castor.

“So if you’re in it, basically that’s the coffin that you’re in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.