Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

Sorry but I don’t agree (with respect, as you’ve been the top expert in the Olympics thread), for me the Olympics is about golds, as important as valiant second and third places are

Whilst being Olympic champion is great and absolutely what the individual athletes should be striving for, I think for the countries, the medal count is a better reflection of the 4 years of hard work.

There are multiple people at this Olympic Games who are the best in the world but haven't won gold. Gold medals are only a small window and some require a lot of luck.

Bethany Shriever didn't medal due to a slight error in the final but won every race up until that point. The women's windsurfer was miles ahead won nearly every race all week, then the scores reset and 1 misjudgement got her nowhere near gold. Noah Lyles won the 100m by 0.005, on another day he wouldn't have medalled. All golds require talent and skill but some of them have had a lot of luck as well.

Look at Tom Pidcock, brilliant Olympic champion but a puncture nearly cost him.

UK Sport judge it on medal count for a reason and that's the uncontrollables. Getting medals is less lucky than getting gold.

There go the Dutch above us in the medal table. Fantastic for them, especially cycling, rowing and hockey. For their population that’s a tremendous Olympics. China now ahead of USA

Dutch and Aussies have had a great Olympics. Massively helped out by Individual outliers, same with France.

That's the only thing we've been missing at this Olympics. Our athletic outliers are is sports where our dominant athlete can't pick up multiple golds.

About 1 in 4 of us being thick as fuck. The true answer is <1%. 1 in 16 think they could make the 100m in LA or the Cycling team haha.

I wonder what sports you'd get closest in, I imagine a lot of the non-physical sports, Archery, Shooting are your best chances.

Our gold medallist in kite surfing basically decided to try it because she saw it on television. Some of these sports are niche as fuck. An athletically gifted person could definitely make the Olympics with 4 years dedicated training in certain sports. Track and field cycling and swimming no chance unless you are a freak athlete.

It’s golds that really count. The analogy for me is silvers are for arsenal, united might scrap for bronze every other year, but we go for gold. Second means nothing when you’re dining at they top table

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.