Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

Came out in the last couple of days that the USADA broke the global code by not suspending drugged up athletes between 2011-2014. Certainly doesn't fill you with confidence of what you're seeing.

And of course the USADA had a response to the WADA. Including that below for completeness only:

Whilst being Olympic champion is great and absolutely what the individual athletes should be striving for, I think for the countries, the medal count is a better reflection of the 4 years of hard work.

There are multiple people at this Olympic Games who are the best in the world but haven't won gold. Gold medals are only a small window and some require a lot of luck.

Bethany Shriever didn't medal due to a slight error in the final but won every race up until that point. The women's windsurfer was miles ahead won nearly every race all week, then the scores reset and 1 misjudgement got her nowhere near gold. Noah Lyles won the 100m by 0.005, on another day he wouldn't have medalled. All golds require talent and skill but some of them have had a lot of luck as well.

Look at Tom Pidcock, brilliant Olympic champion but a puncture nearly cost him.

UK Sport judge it on medal count for a reason and that's the uncontrollables. Getting medals is less lucky than getting gold.

I'm with you on this one. Another interesting thing is the breadth of sports we've medalled in which is significantly more than the likes of China and Japan. The French (homes games programmes) and the US have medalled more broadly but apart from them our breadth is greater than everyone else including the Aussies and the Dutch etc. Currently we don't dominate a single sport like others do and we have done in that past and that's impacted our placing in the table, the advantage of a broad base is that if we underperform in a sport or two we are still competitive. If the Japanese wrestling team had caught covid they'd have plunged down the table. Ignoring the bragging rights of Golds, I'd say that was a fairly healthy Olympics despite the many close but no cigar moments..

I'm with you on this one. Another interesting thing is the breadth of sports we've medalled in which is significantly more than the likes of China and Japan. The French (homes games programmes) and the US have medalled more broadly but apart from them our breadth is greater than everyone else including the Aussies and the Dutch etc. Currently we don't dominate a single sport like others do and we have done in that past and that's impacted our placing in the table, the advantage of a broad base is that if we underperform in a sport or two we are still competitive. If the Japanese wrestling team had caught covid they'd have plunged down the table. Ignoring the bragging rights of Golds, I'd say that was a fairly healthy Olympics despite the many close but no cigar moments..
Not a bad Olympics for GB but far from great also.

Why can’t we compete in the field events you don’t need a big area to practice them. Just do not seem to put any effort into finding people who have the necessary attributes.

I read Joanna Rowsell’s autobiography and she joined the GB cycling development squad after a visit to her school from scouts looking for potential talent. Surely the people running athletics could go round all the schools in the country and grab some kids with potential.

Last edited:
I am thinking we have definitely deteriorated from the last 4 Olympic Games and I think I have found the reason. The CEO of the British Olympic Association is Andy Anson, who is also the Chair of Lancashire County Cricket Club, who are having a garbage season. And I can prove it’s his fault, he is a fucking rag

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.