Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

One more medal overall though. UK Sport measure performance on raw medal count, they don't care much for the colour given there can be such a fine line between gold and silver. They targeted 50-70 medals so we're on the stronger end of the performance scale with 65.

Also, really important is they wanted a broader coverage in medals across different sports, and they have achieved that in a big way. By my count, Team GB have medals in 23 different sporting categories, the broadest spread of any nation ever. In Tokyo they had medals in 18 different sports. We compete at a high level in nearly everything, and I think that diversity is the best thing about our performance.
Yes the diversification of sports is impressive, we've come a long way in that regard. People realising that you can follow multiple sports at the same time and that there are more than just a handful of sports.

I think that's the legacy of London 2012 and the Olympics in general in this country. People realising that there is more out there that anyone can do.

I said earlier in the thread that Individual athletes should strive for gold but total medal count is a better indicator of competitiveness for countries. I anticipate a strong LA 2028 for us, UK Sport know how big the exposure will be for those games.

The IOC has absolutely made a mess of this gymnastics medal fiasco. Feel bad for everyone involved

So in LA we will see the return of cricket , baseball, softball & the inclusion of squash . Breaking will not feature , boxing might yet be ditched .

What was everyone's highlight then? Mine is undoubtedly Tom Pidcock coming back after the puncture to win the gold medal. It was already a phenomenal effort just to get back near the front, but the drama at the end and that last minute overtake was incredible.
Probably the best GB moment but Hassan this morning was absolutely incredible. Such a monumental feat considering she finished the 10k on Friday night!!

How can they drop boxing and who wants fucking cricket in it?

IBA and IOC don't get along, IOC ran the boxing this time around but.

I assume cricket has been included because some nations are massively underrepresented at the Olympics. India, Pakistan, Bangladesh usually always have the worst medal to population ratios.

What was everyone's highlight then? Mine is undoubtedly Tom Pidcock coming back after the puncture to win the gold medal. It was already a phenomenal effort just to get back near the front, but the drama at the end and that last minute overtake was incredible.
Best GB moment is either Tom Pidcock or Alex Yee's golds. Keely's gold was also phenomenal. Toby Roberts as well.

Georgia Bell's bronze was fantastic, Josh Kerr was brilliant and agonisingly close.

I'm torn between Yee and Pidcock for the best moment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.