Paris Saint-Germain (A) - CL SF | Post-Match Thread

Marvin that post is a load of shite and you know it. Are you even a blue?

Things changed in the second half for us due to the fact we played OUR game instead of trying to nullify Mbappe and the cheating ****. Pep asked them to be more aggressive in the second half and to play 10-15 metres further up the pitch.
He moved Foden more inside when the naturally left footed Zin came on (was a revelation) and dropped Kev deeper. The fact that we made them look ordinary second half wasn't luck, wasn't by chance it was the fact WE played OUR usual game and PSG couldn't handle it. Someone said very early on in the pre match thread that PSG tire in the last 20/30 minutes as they aren't used to the speed and stamina of the Premier League and don't need it for 90 minutes in their farmers league. We made 2 of the best strikers in World football look hugely ordinary, it wasn't a fluke, it wasn't luck it was the fact we have better players all over the pitch than them bar striker which we don't even play with.
I couldn't be prouder this morning of the blues and I don't think I ever have been. From Ederson to Foden, right through the team you could see the hunger and fight. Do this again in the second leg and we go to the final.
On a side note theyre diving and play acting and moaning and whinging was the worst I've ever seen. Rile them early doors at the Etihad and I could see them getting another red.
I have to say Neymar is the single most horrible footballer I've ever seen attempt the dark arts of football as its all he ever seems to do. Touch him he rolls round like he's been shot, he fouls you (dias tackle) and he trys to insist he did nothing wrong. I couldn't hate a footballer more than him I don't think. He tried to ref the game all night too. So so so glad we have no one of his ilk at the football club and hope we never do.

I think we were massively fortunate in this game, and we should be aware of this. Against Spurs we dominated the ball but scored through a set-piece. Today, again we dominated the ball for long periods in the 2nd half and were able to create some very fluid passages of play on the outside of their box, but rarely did we threaten their goal. There was one must score moment from a PSG error in the 1st half when Bernardo passed to Foden and he struck it too centrally.

PSG are in a way the counter-opposite to City. Their threat are their forwards in Mbappe and Neymar, whereas our offensive talent is that we have 5 fantastic midfielders in Foden, GUndogan, Bernardo, Mahrez and KDB but we are forever massed against their defence outside their penalty box free-wheeling forever. It is beautiful to watch when we have a lead but frustrating if we need a goal. Nothing came of all our midfield play at Wembley, and nothing came from it last night either. You could say the same about PSG too (took a corner).

Our free-kick was incredibly fortunate. Mahrez can try that a 100 times and will never be able to do that again. What was he trying to do? GO round it, go over it? poor execution that came off simply because he hit it hard and on target.

We got lucky. Same as Spurs did when they came to City in that Q/F. But you need luck.

I think we have make a virtue from a fundamental weakness in our side...the lack of a centre-forward. Our ability to control the ball prevents Mbappe and Neymars from hurting us because it means we dominate the ball but we don't carry the same lethal threat in the penalty area that PSG have.

When PSG have Neymar and Mbappe on the edge of our penalty area, then they have the capacity to shift the ball really quick and get a runner in on the end of a cross e.g., Mbappe to Veratti that he missed by inches. I don't see this City side carrying this kind of threat.

The ability though to suffocate a side by preventing them from building up play, and to monopolise the ball though are huge pluses.

If Foden and/other players develop the Neymar/Ronaldo/Lampard ability to carry a real goal threat without being an out and out centre-forward then this absence of a central stiker does not matter.

In the Summer we have a crucial decision to make. Do we continue as we are, or do we sacrifice a forward to carry more threat in the box but at the same time lose control over possession? How many times do Bernardo and Mahrez cut back inside and float lovely balls in but rarely do these crosses have much threat. Against Villa that's how Rodri scored (from a Bernardo ball).

The plus side is though that most games end up 30:70 possession for City and what can an opponen do with so little possession? PSG are very dangeorous because they are more clinical, or efficient with their 30% possession.
Wum

I think we were massively fortunate in this game, and we should be aware of this. Against Spurs we dominated the ball but scored through a set-piece. Today, again we dominated the ball for long periods in the 2nd half and were able to create some very fluid passages of play on the outside of their box, but rarely did we threaten their goal. There was one must score moment from a PSG error in the 1st half when Bernardo passed to Foden and he struck it too centrally.

PSG are in a way the counter-opposite to City. Their threat are their forwards in Mbappe and Neymar, whereas our offensive talent is that we have 5 fantastic midfielders in Foden, GUndogan, Bernardo, Mahrez and KDB but we are forever massed against their defence outside their penalty box free-wheeling forever. It is beautiful to watch when we have a lead but frustrating if we need a goal. Nothing came of all our midfield play at Wembley, and nothing came from it last night either. You could say the same about PSG too (took a corner).

Our free-kick was incredibly fortunate. Mahrez can try that a 100 times and will never be able to do that again. What was he trying to do? GO round it, go over it? poor execution that came off simply because he hit it hard and on target.

We got lucky. Same as Spurs did when they came to City in that Q/F. But you need luck.

I think we have make a virtue from a fundamental weakness in our side...the lack of a centre-forward. Our ability to control the ball prevents Mbappe and Neymars from hurting us because it means we dominate the ball but we don't carry the same lethal threat in the penalty area that PSG have.

When PSG have Neymar and Mbappe on the edge of our penalty area, then they have the capacity to shift the ball really quick and get a runner in on the end of a cross e.g., Mbappe to Veratti that he missed by inches. I don't see this City side carrying this kind of threat.

The ability though to suffocate a side by preventing them from building up play, and to monopolise the ball though are huge pluses.

If Foden and/other players develop the Neymar/Ronaldo/Lampard ability to carry a real goal threat without being an out and out centre-forward then this absence of a central stiker does not matter.

In the Summer we have a crucial decision to make. Do we continue as we are, or do we sacrifice a forward to carry more threat in the box but at the same time lose control over possession? How many times do Bernardo and Mahrez cut back inside and float lovely balls in but rarely do these crosses have much threat. Against Villa that's how Rodri scored (from a Bernardo ball).

The plus side is though that most games end up 30:70 possession for City and what can an opponen do with so little possession? PSG are very dangeorous because they are more clinical, or efficient with their 30% possession.
But they also got lucky with their goal and apart from that created next to nothing

I kind of see where you’re coming from, but “massively fortunate”?? On the back of that stifling second half performance? The only fortunate aspect was that PSG were fortunate to only end up 2-1 down.

if theres someone in world football who knows that you have to keep changing and evolving to keep winning is pep. Won everything in the first season at barcelona but brought in ibra to give them more options against parked buses, it didnt work out. Then backtracked with David Villa doing Etoo's role as a wide forward, Messi as a false nine and ended with the midfield blitz, similar to what city is doing now, with busquets, xavi, iniesta, fabregas and messi, brought alexis sanchez too, a dynamic winger to take pedros place. In between those years mascherano replaced puyol as the fiery center back.

Then left cause he was too close to the guys in a squad he felt needed big changes.

He knows playing with all his available midfielders at the same time is not sustainable in the long run but now they're the guys he trusts the most, as Jesus and Kun are out of form

lucky you are having a laugh mate, that 11 worked their bollocks off to get that result, through sheer hard work,skill and endevour
if anything by the end a 3rd wouldn't have flattered us
mbappe was reduced to a relative spectator in the game, i don't think he had a chance which showed how well dias and stones marshaled him
dont get me wrong psg are now mugs as the first half hour showed but we dug in and got the result we deserved

Jenas was a twat tonight. But one of the only things he got right was when Walker beat Neymar on a dead sprint to the ball and casually passed it to Dias. Mrs and I looked at each other and said Walker has been waiting for that moment...

Looking forward to the alternative commentary of that one. I’m thinking the Sheffield Shergar will get a mention, before the pale Pele and the Algerian Robben come up with a couple of thunderbastards

As much as people paint the two goals as lucky that's what we've been told repeatedly about this competition, you need luck and you need to capitalise on mistakes. PSG couldn't respond to the tactical change at all so they got frustrated. The pressure they put city under first half is hard for anyone to maintain for 90 mins thank God our defence road that out. Ties not over and City have been guilty of a few brain farts at home themselves but I'd back the team to score at least one and concede no more than two in the return leg.

It's rare for us to be beaten by a two goal margin this season isn't it. I mean it's happened but I have faith that if we score that crucial early goal then PSG will crumble knowing they will struggle to get 3 past us.

How many blues went to bed last night witnessing that and not being able to sleep because of the result? The champions league has been a kick in the bollocks year after year going out in the quarters, we’ve played two away ties in Dortmund and PSG and experienced going behind on the night in the first half. Once again they came out in the second half and strangled another team to death. Neymar looked a broken man towards the end, I hope our lads give it him again for being so snide.

It’s only half time at the moment and these champions league ties can ebb and flow over two legs. We cannot give them a sniff next week, they are still a very dangerous side when their tale is up and play some very good football. At the same time they can be made to fall to pieces and our lads made them do that last night.

Hopefully that knocks the confidence out of them for second leg they are not as invincible as they think. Get two goals in early and it should be game over

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.