Paris Saint-Germain (A) - CL SF | Post-Match Thread

A lot has already been said about how well we played 2nd half, and rightly so.
When they went down to 10, we didn’t force the game for more, we passed them to death and tired them out even more, while we conserved a bit in the tank.
They have a tough game at the weekend, which they know they must win.
We MUST put the chances away against them when we get them. Anywhere on target, but NOT straight at the keeper!!

FANTASTIC performance from them all. The whole team must be buzzing. Totally deserved.

Bitterness and pots of boiling piss in diaperland and raggyville. Priceless.

A case of the morning after the night before.

Superb defensive first half and extraordinary attacking second. Credit to Pep, picked a team without surprises and managed the game leaving Poch in knots.

Once behind PSG showed their true colours. They really are a petulant bunch of dirty bastards. But what they also are is very dangerous and we have to repeat the first half again next week.

Don't forget PSG had just 6 shots against Bayern, 5 were on target and they scored 3.

Bayern had 31 shots in that game... and lost.

I’m just gutted we didn’t get a third then I could truly relax, they are more than capable of scoring two especially if they start diving again, we definitely have to start Zinchenko, he gives us far more balance, Cancelo is better on the right but he ain’t shifting Walker for the rest of the season in the big games. Go at them from the off on Tuesday get a couple of early goals and I can see them folding and we will run riot, PSG showed what a bunch of mard arses they were when KDB got booked, surrounding the ref, twats.

Great Performance from a confident City!! I wonder if Pep should have sent in Aguero in the last 20 minutes. He could have scored 2!!! We really missed a striker in the final third to finish some of those crosses!

But we are maturing as a team. Fantastic performance

Excellent turnaround. Excellent result. A real switch of emotions from wanting anything out of the game at half time, even just an away goal, to wondering at the end if we should have forced the issue for a 3rd. How the situation changes. But i echo other's sentiments in that our 2nd goal had plenty of fortune, their wall folded and the very average free kick was allowed through to an unsighted Navas. I'd be fucking livid if City players had shitted out of the way like that and we conceded, so so soft.

i enjoyed the changes made, a game in which tactics really seemed to come to the fore. Phil playing more centrally was a risk that worked and the higher press certainly paid off too.

i am wondering how we strengthen this side? Allow Jesus to be principal number 9 with Delap as backup and continue to play no front man? in which case another very adept goalscorer in the middle, or perhaps right central, would be a good addition. Or buy a top striker who will require playing and therefore switch back to a more traditional 4-5-1? dunno. Pep's choice of the summer....

Zinchenko is now not just a average/decent player who is excellent at sticking to his task but he's improving as a footballer too. I've said this in the past, pounds spent for ability ratio, he's one of the best signings of recent years.

We need to stay calm, this tie is far far from over. Mpabbe has terrifying feet.

I think we were massively fortunate in this game, and we should be aware of this. Against Spurs we dominated the ball but scored through a set-piece. Today, again we dominated the ball for long periods in the 2nd half and were able to create some very fluid passages of play on the outside of their box, but rarely did we threaten their goal. There was one must score moment from a PSG error in the 1st half when Bernardo passed to Foden and he struck it too centrally.

PSG are in a way the counter-opposite to City. Their threat are their forwards in Mbappe and Neymar, whereas our offensive talent is that we have 5 fantastic midfielders in Foden, GUndogan, Bernardo, Mahrez and KDB but we are forever massed against their defence outside their penalty box free-wheeling forever. It is beautiful to watch when we have a lead but frustrating if we need a goal. Nothing came of all our midfield play at Wembley, and nothing came from it last night either. You could say the same about PSG too (took a corner).

Our free-kick was incredibly fortunate. Mahrez can try that a 100 times and will never be able to do that again. What was he trying to do? GO round it, go over it? poor execution that came off simply because he hit it hard and on target.

We got lucky. Same as Spurs did when they came to City in that Q/F. But you need luck.

I think we have make a virtue from a fundamental weakness in our side...the lack of a centre-forward. Our ability to control the ball prevents Mbappe and Neymars from hurting us because it means we dominate the ball but we don't carry the same lethal threat in the penalty area that PSG have.

When PSG have Neymar and Mbappe on the edge of our penalty area, then they have the capacity to shift the ball really quick and get a runner in on the end of a cross e.g., Mbappe to Veratti that he missed by inches. I don't see this City side carrying this kind of threat.

The ability though to suffocate a side by preventing them from building up play, and to monopolise the ball though are huge pluses.

If Foden and/other players develop the Neymar/Ronaldo/Lampard ability to carry a real goal threat without being an out and out centre-forward then this absence of a central stiker does not matter.

In the Summer we have a crucial decision to make. Do we continue as we are, or do we sacrifice a forward to carry more threat in the box but at the same time lose control over possession? How many times do Bernardo and Mahrez cut back inside and float lovely balls in but rarely do these crosses have much threat. Against Villa that's how Rodri scored (from a Bernardo ball).

The plus side is though that most games end up 30:70 possession for City and what can an opponen do with so little possession? PSG are very dangeorous because they are more clinical, or efficient with their 30% possession.
Aye there’s the rub as someone once wrote. Very good summing up of the dilemma.

I hope someone told the kitman to check Diaz and Stones pockets before washing the kits, don't want Mbappe breaking the washing machine.

I think we were massively fortunate in this game, and we should be aware of this. Against Spurs we dominated the ball but scored through a set-piece. Today, again we dominated the ball for long periods in the 2nd half and were able to create some very fluid passages of play on the outside of their box, but rarely did we threaten their goal. There was one must score moment from a PSG error in the 1st half when Bernardo passed to Foden and he struck it too centrally.

PSG are in a way the counter-opposite to City. Their threat are their forwards in Mbappe and Neymar, whereas our offensive talent is that we have 5 fantastic midfielders in Foden, GUndogan, Bernardo, Mahrez and KDB but we are forever massed against their defence outside their penalty box free-wheeling forever. It is beautiful to watch when we have a lead but frustrating if we need a goal. Nothing came of all our midfield play at Wembley, and nothing came from it last night either. You could say the same about PSG too (took a corner).

Our free-kick was incredibly fortunate. Mahrez can try that a 100 times and will never be able to do that again. What was he trying to do? GO round it, go over it? poor execution that came off simply because he hit it hard and on target.

We got lucky. Same as Spurs did when they came to City in that Q/F. But you need luck.

I think we have make a virtue from a fundamental weakness in our side...the lack of a centre-forward. Our ability to control the ball prevents Mbappe and Neymars from hurting us because it means we dominate the ball but we don't carry the same lethal threat in the penalty area that PSG have.

When PSG have Neymar and Mbappe on the edge of our penalty area, then they have the capacity to shift the ball really quick and get a runner in on the end of a cross e.g., Mbappe to Veratti that he missed by inches. I don't see this City side carrying this kind of threat.

The ability though to suffocate a side by preventing them from building up play, and to monopolise the ball though are huge pluses.

If Foden and/other players develop the Neymar/Ronaldo/Lampard ability to carry a real goal threat without being an out and out centre-forward then this absence of a central stiker does not matter.

In the Summer we have a crucial decision to make. Do we continue as we are, or do we sacrifice a forward to carry more threat in the box but at the same time lose control over possession? How many times do Bernardo and Mahrez cut back inside and float lovely balls in but rarely do these crosses have much threat. Against Villa that's how Rodri scored (from a Bernardo ball).

The plus side is though that most games end up 30:70 possession for City and what can an opponen do with so little possession? PSG are very dangeorous because they are more clinical, or efficient with their 30% possession.

Another great post.

I disagree with your assessment that this was the ‘same as the Spurs game’ at our place from the Spurs perspective.

At no point in the game did Spurs outplay us during the whole 90 mins, where as we completely dominated PSG for the entire 2nd half. They were on the ropes for a long while and they were arguably lucky we didn’t score more than 2 in the end.

We had chances galore against Spurs also whereas PSG didn’t actually have that many clear chances and Mbappe had one of the toughest games of his whole career in terms of trying to get a shot off.

Yeah, a couple of things went our way for the goals but I’d argue scoring from a corner also has an element of chance about it as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.