Patrick Roberts - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he looked useful when he played against us for Celtic at the Etihad last year. Still only 21 so arguably playing for Celtic is better for his development than sitting on the bench at City and playing the occasional League Cup game.

I doubt whether he will ever be a first choice for us but think he could play for a second tier Premier League team.

I thought he looked useful when he played against us for Celtic at the Etihad last year. Still only 21 so arguably playing for Celtic is better for his development than sitting on the bench at City and playing the occasional League Cup game.

I doubt whether he will ever be a first choice for us but think he could play for a second tier Premier League team.

I'm sure he could but he's made it clear he'd prefer an easy ride at Celtic. It's a shame but we need to offload him.

The problem will be, Celtic will not pay a reasonable fee for him. I can see any move being protracted as they plead poverty and Roberts makes it clear he wants to stay there.

The problem will be, Celtic will not pay a reasonable fee for him. I can see any move being protracted as they plead poverty and Roberts makes it clear he wants to stay there.

hopefully we can be clever and accept a lower fee, but have bonuses paid each year based on their CL group stage qualification (so part of their CL Income comes to us first) and a first-option agreement on Tierney and any other prospects. I know we'd want £15-20m for him, but if we took £6-8m + £2/4m per season for the next 3-5 years depending on how far Celtic get in the CL, with a 20/25% sell-on clause and first option agreement on their players, then that would be a reasonable deal I think. They can be cheap and get their player, but have to pay contributions to bump up the fee, Roberts gets his move and we get our fee in the books and a talent pool to pick from.

The figure being quoted, by people who love to quote figures is £7-8m and if that’s the case and he wants to stay a deal will be done. He knows he’s not going to hold down a place in your team and he might not fancy a couple of seasons on the bench before being punted.

The figure being quoted, by people who love to quote figures is £7-8m and if that’s the case and he wants to stay a deal will be done. He knows he’s not going to hold down a place in your team and he might not fancy a couple of seasons on the bench before being punted.
If I remember last season he was being valued at £15+. I don’t have a problem with him wanting a permanent move. Historic big club with guaranteed champions league football. I just think we should get fair value wherever he goes.

Just as a means of comparison, PSV apparently enquired about Angelino in the winter break and balked when told he would be valued at 12-15m. Last summer we took 25m for Iheanacho, so I really cannot see us taking a hit on Roberts, irrespective of where he reputedly wants to play. Indeed, I really don't expect us to lose on any young player sales henceforward.

he's made it clear he'd prefer an easy ride at Celtic. It's a shame but we need to offload him.

This is such a shit line, I don't know how anyone can actually write it.

He chose to continue his development at a champions league team, under a good coach, at a club where any dropped points is treated as underperforming. It's an absolutely great environment for players to develop and learn, which is why we keep sending players there.

The idea that leaving an environment in which you're making progress, where you'll see game time against the best clubs in Europe, and get experience of winning trophies, is somehow worse than getting into a relegation battle with Southampton would be laughed out of the room by any player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.