Patrick Roberts - signing confirmed 19/07

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not a small speedster either, he's much bigger and stronger than Roberts. He's built more like Bale than SWP for instance.

That's another strange one I keep reading, how Barker isn't physically well built enough. Bizarre.

I think perhaps the reason some people think he is lacking pace, is because he gets on the ball without having to run flat out. & has such an easy running style. Wheras Angelino would be sprinting flat out, like the Mighty Atom, Barker would just stroll past him easily looking like he's jogging.

But I don't get the one about his build at all. That's just weird.

That's another strange one I keep reading, how Barker isn't physically well built enough. Bizarre.

I think perhaps the reason some people think he is lacking pace, is because he gets on the ball without having to run flat out. & has such an easy running style. Wheras Angelino would be sprinting flat out, like the Mighty Atom, Barker would just stroll past him easily looking like he's jogging.

But I don't get the one about his build at all. That's just weird.
I don't really want to make the comparison, but he has the build that giggs had we he first broke into the scum team. I wouldn't say he was well built, he's quite wiry though, but he's only 18 and still a boy really.
We don't want him body building but we do need him to fill out as an adult, which he will do naturally without resorting to 'pumping it up' and will be more difficult to knock off the ball. Allied to his skill and speed hopefully he'll turn out to be our Giggs, whilst not sticking it to his family

Going to have to be some keeper to dislodge Hart. I would reckon we won't have anyone near good enough to replace him for about 8 years

I think he's got what it takes, his distribution is already better than Harts.

Something this lad has which barely any English or British player for that matter has, spacial awareness, he doesn't just turn the ball over when under pressure or try boot the ball and chase after it, he'll happily draw in a few players and either beat them with close control or play a pass into the space he's created. To me he looks much better than Barker, he reminds me more of a South American/Spanish player than an English one. Sign him up pronto.

I don't really want to make the comparison, but he has the build that giggs had we he first broke into the scum team. I wouldn't say he was well built, he's quite wiry though, but he's only 18 and still a boy really.
We don't want him body building but we do need him to fill out as an adult, which he will do naturally without resorting to 'pumping it up' and will be more difficult to knock off the ball. Allied to his skill and speed hopefully he'll turn out to be our Giggs, whilst not sticking it to his family

He just looks like a footballer shaped footballer to me. Nowhere near the biggest build, nowhere near the smallest build.

Rather than being protected from blokes knocking him off the ball, I think he absolutely needs knocking off the ball, a lot, & to learn how to cope with the challenge. That's the biggest difference between Sterling & Barker imo. Sterling has been playing 'men's' football for years.

The sooner Barker gets it, the sooner he copes with it, or alternatively, we find out he hasn't got the right stuff & move on. He has enough build & body strength to hold his own. As Giggs learned to do. Roberts may need something in between for a year or two, as he is a lot smaller than Barker.

You never know how a young player's going to develop. That's why you need to get as many talented ones as possible. Law of averages suggests that one of them will never get to the level we want. Actually, the law of averages says that neither of them will. Maybe we'll get lucky and both of them will. And then that'll be perfect, because we've got 2 wings.
I agree with you that you need as many good young player's you can get but for the money they're asking for this lad it seems a big risk.
And considering we have Barker already who looks a similar quality player, do we need to splash the cash on this lad Roberts.

He's not a small speedster either, he's much bigger and stronger than Roberts. He's built more like Bale than SWP for instance.
A lot on here have probably watched barker more than I have but in the games I've watched especially against Chelsea he looked average in terms of pace and was out muscled in both legs. Roberts looks like he can trick his way past an opponent or dart past with a bit of pace. His finishing also looks impressive. Surely he's a decent option to have in our set up.

For me the key is, who's a more intelligent player? Barker or Roberts? That's what I'd be looking for at this level, size doesn't matter, even pace isn't necessary if the player is good enough on the ball, which by the looks of things Roberts is, Roberts could probably play right across the midfield, I don't think the same could be said for Barker. Hopefully Roberts is signed and both make it though!

A lot on here have probably watched barker more than I have but in the games I've watched especially against Chelsea he looked average in terms of pace and was out muscled in both legs. Roberts looks like he can trick his way past an opponent or dart past with a bit of pace. His finishing also looks impressive. Surely he's a decent option to have in our set up.
I have watched Barker at least 20 times and the lad is fucking fast and i think he could have a great chance of making it at City.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.