Patrick Roberts

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't know the veracity of the poster, however he did say that he would not be loaned out.
I have no reason to doubt the relationship of the poster, but as much as most of us want young players to make it with City, there is a huge difference between being ready for Celtic and being ready for City. From memory he wasn't even a first choice starter for Celtic earlier this season? If he craves first team football with immediate effect, it is probably better he moves on, but at a realistic price, which I don't think is £5M (but it's Maddocks and the Mirror)

Two things (1) I would imagine any such commitment in advance is extremely unlikely at a major PL club, for a relatively young lad (2) things change, and expectations of development, be it personal, emotional, physical or skill, may not have been met. Personally I hope he stays and makes it, but I think there have to be serious doubts as to whether he is THAT good

How good is 'THAT good'? Like I've stated, I don't see why he couldn't have taken Navas' spot. I had a lot of time for Jesus but he was nothing other than effort.

But I too find it hard to believe that a teenager would be made such promises by a top flight club. Maybe in exceptional circumstances like for Gabriel Jesus but, as highly as I rate Roberts, he certainly isn't anywhere near his level.

Still, if someone from our club did tell him that then that person was a fucking tit to say so.

I have no reason to doubt the relationship of the poster, but as much as most of us want young players to make it with City, there is a huge difference between being ready for Celtic and being ready for City. From memory he wasn't even a first choice starter for Celtic earlier this season? If he craves first team football with immediate effect, it is probably better he moves on, but at a realistic price, which I don't think is £5M (but it's Maddocks and the Mirror)
I live near Glasgow, as far the early season is concerned, he started really well and then suffered a muscle strain and his progress was knocked back a bit.
I agree there is a big difference between the SPL and top level EPL. I hope he does make it at the top level for whoever , it would be great if it was for us he is a skilled and entertaining footballer but I agree it ain't easy.

No way Celtic get away with paying £5m for him! For the record I think he would struggle to get in our match day squad if the new signings come in and we have sane, sterling, b silva, Sanchez, all there already? Someone like Newcastle though would at least pay £10m plus for someone like Roberts

How good is 'THAT good'? Like I've stated, I don't see why he couldn't have taken Navas' spot. I had a lot of time for Jesus but he was nothing other than effort.

But I too find it hard to believe that a teenager would be made such promises by a top flight club. Maybe in exceptional circumstances like for Gabriel Jesus but, as highly as I rate Roberts, he certainly isn't anywhere near his level.

Still, if someone from our club did tell him that then that person was a fucking tit to say so.
I haven't seen enough of him to know if he is THAT good. I saw the Scottish cup final and didn't think he was outstanding and in the CL v us I thought he scored a stunner but was good rather than great overall. In any event I thought we were committed to a 2 year (18 month?) deal and so we couldn't have brought him back?

So it's ok for the club to promise him the world to tempt him to sign for us then immediately go back on that & do what they said they wouldn't? Isn't that what we all complain about when UEFA try it with us?

Maybe once we'd got him and he was trainingvwe realised he wasn't up to it yet. As far as I recall he was in and out of their side last season. If that was the case he was hardly ready for the premier league.

I reckon I could tear it up in Scotland and I haven't played for 20 years. Loan him out to a better team in a better league and see how he adapts. Is he really a better bet than Sane, Jesus, KDB etc at the moment? Did we really tell him he would be involved with the 1st team?

I hope we don't sell but even if we do, who cares if we lose £5m on him. I'm sure the chairman doesn't. That's about one weeks worth of players wages. We'll win some and lose some. We lost money on bony but we'll make plenty of profit with kelechi

If this happens without a buy back clause then it will be very disappointing. We need to have some homegrown players and this will be a blow to the others at the academy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.