Patrick Viera - really starting to look the part

stonerblue said:
you must be fekkin joking ??

If his 'craft' is a lob down the centre for someone to chase then we're fucked. He is bobbins and i can't think of one good reason why we play him.
Is this for Vieira or Ireland? ;)

Paulmcfc2703 said:
stonerblue said:
you must be fekkin joking ??

If his 'craft' is a lob down the centre for someone to chase then we're fucked. He is bobbins and i can't think of one good reason why we play him.

You actually make a very good point and offer an interesting perspective.

If it was Stevie who had made the defence splitting pass that led to our crucial breakthrough goal it would have cemented his legendary cult status and he could have lived off it until the end of the season.

As it was Vieira it becomes a 'lob down the centre' and is ridiculed.

Vieira was also stitched up bigtime by de-jong who gave him fuck-all back up and let him carry the can for midfield being overrun.

Lucas North said:
Paulmcfc2703 said:

If it was Stevie who had made the defence splitting pass that led to our crucial breakthrough goal it would have cemented his legendary cult status and he could have lived off it until the end of the season.

Vieira was also stitched up bigtime by de-jong who gave him fuck-all back up and let him carry the can for midfield being overrun.
That is a top post!

masterwig said:
Seriously? I thought he was fucking shit. Gave the ball away cheaply far too often and was slow to react to the loose ball. A great player in his day but not any more. I heard someone booing him too, bit out of order that.

He's only on loan but I think his contract runs out at Inter come the summer so he'd be avaiable on a free. I wouldn't want us to sign him though. We need more pace and drive in the middle.

THIS ENTIRELY.

I think Vieira offers us 'some' guile in midfield when he gets it right. His overall distribution was poor though on Monday and you could it affecting him. He is slow on the second ball but as the game went on he did seem to be more involved in the good stuff we did, especially spreading the ball the Bellers and Johnno. I wouldnt sign him in the summer either, but we need someone with his calibre in the middle.

Anyone know of a 'Vieira' who is 10 years younger!!??

The OP has to be taking the piss. Why would the MEN run a story today with Mancini saying he has to improve after the Wigan game?

That is all.

I actually thought he had a reasonable game. OK, he has no pace but his distribution is outstanding and his tackling is good too. Plus he adds a bit of height and muscle to what I would consider a short team with next to no presence in dead ball situations.

(Puts on tin hat)

He has slowed down a little but the main problem isn't him.

We set up as a 4-4-2 against Wigan. 2 wingers and 1 central midfielder and 1 anchorman.

Immediately that causes a problem, as the wingers push out wide. This leaves Vieira on his own in the middle with De Jong pretty much sitting in behind him. Wigan played quite narrowly which meant Vieira was up against at least 2 midfielders, sometimes 3 and even 4.

That's why there was a massive gap in the middle (for us) and this is why Vieira looked even slower than normal. He's chasing 2 or 3 players and constantly getting to the ball a little too late. This is also leaving De Jong exposed as his area of the pitch becomes packed with opposition players, as it's too easy for teams to break against us.

It's no fluke that Vieira's best game and one of our most assured performances was against Fulham (when he played with Barry), and the last two performances (when we've used an anchorman & wide players) have been pretty poor.

It's a very simple problem, but the blame shouldn't be totally laid on Vieira. He's essentially trying to do the work of 2 or 3 players. How other people can't see this is beyond me.

Lucas North said:
Paulmcfc2703 said:

you are a brave, brave boy having the audacity to critisize de jong on here!!

by the way i agree he's not all he's cracked up to be

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.