Peaky Blinders

fbloke said:
Bilston Blue said:
ONTHERUNWITHTHAKSIN said:
He reckons it was originaly to be called Pikey Blinders as it was travellers who were in the gang. In the programme their is a gang of travellers but not the main characters.

Your *ahem* mate obviously isn't paying much attention then, is he? It's very plain for even the casual observer to figure the gypsy's aren't part of the Peaky Blinders gang, until last night when the two clans became linked by marriage.

If your comments are a snide dig at the Birmingham accents on the show then you're way wide of the mark. Your veiled allusion that "peaky" could, in a Brummie accent, sound like "pikey", is wrong. In a heavy, almost now unheard Black Country diction, the two words could easily sound very similar, but Black Country and Birmingham tongues are so different.

Possibly one of the subtlest wind ups on here, ever, but foiled nonetheless.

I doubt it was a wind up or even a joke of the subtlest kind.

Its more about people who can't see the wood for the trays.

I say what you did there.

Bilston Blue said:
ONTHERUNWITHTHAKSIN said:
SteWadda said:
Does your mate know that the Peaky Blinders were a real gang? Why would they change it to something offensive

He reckons it was originaly to be called Pikey Blinders as it was travellers who were in the gang. In the programme their is a gang of travellers but not the main characters.

Your *ahem* mate obviously isn't paying much attention then, is he? It's very plain for even the casual observer to figure the gypsy's aren't part of the Peaky Blinders gang, until last night when the two clans became linked by marriage.

If your comments are a snide dig at the Birmingham accents on the show then you're way wide of the mark. Your veiled allusion that "peaky" could, in a Brummie accent, sound like "pikey", is wrong. In a heavy, almost now unheard Black Country diction, the two words could easily sound very similar, but Black Country and Birmingham tongues are so different.

Possibly one of the subtlest wind ups on here, ever, but foiled nonetheless.

It's not a sly dig about the brummie accent and it's not me who said it sounded like Pikey, it's me enquiring if anyone could back up my mates claim that it was supposed to be called Pikey.

As it is he is convinced what he says is right and no one will change is mind.

Another lad told him it was originally about Scroates who took the piss and it was originally called Cheeky Blinders, but it went right over his head.<br /><br />-- Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:41 pm --<br /><br />
Didsbury Dave said:
Right,

My friend has just texted back "Was that a joke? Peaky blinders is the name of a real gang".

So, as suspected, your mate was bullshitting.

cheers for the confirmation but my mate really does believe what he says and no helping him.

Either way I love the programme.

G-Star Medium Rare said:
Took me a couple of episodes to get over the mainly rubbish attempts at the Brummy accent coming out as Scouse, but yes, its a brilliant watch and well worth a second series.

It's been a really good programme but I agree with the accent bit. Pity it's based on fact as the Brummie accent is difficult for actors to do but also a comedy one.

After the first episode, I thought it had the potential to be a good series, but it's exceeded my expectations. I find it the best drama the BBC have done in many years. In fact, I can't remember being so into a drama series since the first airing of Band of Brothers.

Last night's hanging scene was a well-timed moment of comedy. Somehow, when the camera focused on the hook, I knew the rope would snap.

I take back what I said initially about Sam Neill's Irish accent. A great cameo last night, too, from Tommy Flanagan as the missing father.

Mike N said:
G-Star Medium Rare said:
Took me a couple of episodes to get over the mainly rubbish attempts at the Brummy accent coming out as Scouse, but yes, its a brilliant watch and well worth a second series.

It's been a really good programme but I agree with the accent bit. Pity it's based on fact as the Brummie accent is difficult for actors to do but also a comedy one.

Yam not wrong there, mike N. I have been exiled from Manchester and living in the Black Country for 25 years, and couldn't imitate a Brum accent and struggle to do a Dudley one.

("By Any Means" is also filmed around Brum and is top stuff too IMHO)

FantasyIreland said:
I am really enjoying this show now,it gets better with each passing episode.The acting is great and the story lines fascinating.

Sam Neil's cop is very menacing but Cillian Murphy is particularly superb,for a 'pretty boy' he manages to pull off the complex hard man character brilliantly.

As previously said,the soundtrack is also great - The White stripes and Nick Cave amongst the talent.

Hopefully it will get a second series,it certainly deserves one.

I agree with everything you said Fantasy. I thought that day would never come!

Tim of the Oak said:
I agree with everything you said Fantasy. I thought that day would never come!

Ah well football does have a nasty habit of bringing out my 'colourful' side......

Glad you enjoyed Peaky as much as me Tim.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.