Pellegrini to give youth a chance, but who

Akai said:
I'd like to see Suarez, Rekik and Razak.
None of those three are currently good enough to get into the first team. With Navas coming in and possibly Isco I can't ever see Suarez getting near the first team; for me he's not improved at all really from when he first signed for us. With Rodwell last yet and Fernandinho this year coming in I can't see Razak ever getting in our first team. He's not that good to be honest. And although I've been fairly impressed (not overly) with Rekik when I've seen him, he couldn't get a game at Blackburn in the Championship.

Lopez and Pozo look most likely but how good are they, even? Not bad for their age I'd say, but nothing really special yet. But they may improve enough if coached properly and have enough games to play during their development.

This is something we need to target with 14 year olds now. So within three or four years we have quality coming through. I think our Academy has produced a hell of a lot of very average players and in recent years has been a bit of a failure. Compare ours to Villa's in the time Sheikh Mansour has been with us and we're miles off.

Caveman said:
Akai said:
I'd like to see Suarez, Rekik and Razak.
None of those three are currently good enough to get into the first team. With Navas coming in and possibly Isco I can't ever see Suarez getting near the first team; for me he's not improved at all really from when he first signed for us. With Rodwell last yet and Fernandinho this year coming in I can't see Razak ever getting in our first team. He's not that good to be honest. And although I've been fairly impressed (not overly) with Rekik when I've seen him, he couldn't get a game at Blackburn in the Championship.

Lopez and Pozo look most likely but how good are they, even? Not bad for their age I'd say, but nothing really special yet. But they may improve enough if coached properly and have enough games to play during their development.

This is something we need to target with 14 year olds now. So within three or four years we have quality coming through. I think our Academy has produced a hell of a lot of very average players and in recent years has been a bit of a failure. Compare ours to Villa's in the time Sheikh Mansour has been with us and we're miles off.

Our academy, has in no way been a failure, either before or since the Sheikh's takeover.

At the level we were before the takeover we had 36 academy players play for the first team a Premier League record if I recall right because we were a mid to bottom of the league club so expectations and standards were not as high. Since the takeover the bar has been raised to a world level and so it will take the academy time to adjust.

We are now getting 14/15 years from around the world who we hope to develop into first team players but there is no on, off switch. It will take time but like the first team it will get there

I don't think these players will break through and become regulars but they will certainly be given game time at some point or other next season;

Karim Rekik
Jeremy Helan
Olivier Ntcham
Emyr Huws
Abdul Razak
George Evans
Jose Pozo
John Guidetti
Jordi Hiwula

Depending on development and who we get in certain cups we could see the likes of Adam Drury, Kieran Kennedy, Shay Facey, Ellis Plummer and Alex Henshall get a run out however with the long term vision of the club I don't think these players may make the grade however I hope I'm proved wrong

Guidetti and Razak.

Razak looks very promising to me , he could turn out be a real star for both City and the Ivory Coast given time.

bluemathlady said:
Is Helan staying on loan at Sheff. Wed. next season? He seems to get a lot of playing time there

He should be back with us now ..... only on loan at Sheff Weds until the end of last season.

It was his second loan spell there.

Hard to see breaking through here next season though , and he might well end up at Hillsborough on loan again .

Rekik looked comfortable despite playing out of position when he made his single appearance last year (I forget who it was against)

Helan is being sold, he only has 1 year left on his contract and isn't good enough for City. Looks like he could go to Wednesday on a permanent.

I think Guidetti is due a place on the bench. Most of the other top prospects would benefit more from carefully chosen loan moves than sporadic appearances, especially Razak whose development has suffered from a lack of game time. Rekik could go to PSV on loan apparently.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.