Pellegrini to give youth a chance, but who

It will be the usuals.
Rekik, Suarez and Razak.

I don't see any of the others been given a chance because they are all of the age where they are best off in their age groups.

The academy could do with winning their leagues next year and putting up a proper fight in the NextGen before any of them should be given a chance in the first team tbh.

People on here say how good they are yet we were embarrassed in the Next Gen and knocked out of the top group of the U21's yet some on here were calling for them to be playing in the first league.

Prove yourself at your own level before you step up imo.

Rekik needs to go and play centre back every week for someone, not left back for us. Same for Suarez, Razak, whoever else. Players in Barcelona B or Real Madrid Castilla are playing proper full seasons against quality opposition (respective to their age and experience). It's trickier for us because we have no control over how one of our lads will play when he goes elsewhere, or how much game time they'll get.

It's obviously good that we're looking at bringing through youth but that shouldn't be confused with forcing through players who either aren't ready or just aren't good enough. Pellegrini should only be expected to play those who are worth playing.

CTID101 said:
It will be the usuals.
Rekik, Suarez and Razak.

I don't see any of the others been given a chance because they are all of the age where they are best off in their age groups.

The academy could do with winning their leagues next year and putting up a proper fight in the NextGen before any of them should be given a chance in the first team tbh.

People on here say how good they are yet we were embarrassed in the Next Gen and knocked out of the top group of the U21's yet some on here were calling for them to be playing in the first league.

You don't judge individual players on the results of the team they play fo ffs.

By that reconing, Gareth Bale isn't good enough for City as he's never won fuck all, like Isco.

chesterguy said:
Caveman said:
Akai said:
I'd like to see Suarez, Rekik and Razak.
None of those three are currently good enough to get into the first team. With Navas coming in and possibly Isco I can't ever see Suarez getting near the first team; for me he's not improved at all really from when he first signed for us. With Rodwell last yet and Fernandinho this year coming in I can't see Razak ever getting in our first team. He's not that good to be honest. And although I've been fairly impressed (not overly) with Rekik when I've seen him, he couldn't get a game at Blackburn in the Championship.

Lopez and Pozo look most likely but how good are they, even? Not bad for their age I'd say, but nothing really special yet. But they may improve enough if coached properly and have enough games to play during their development.

This is something we need to target with 14 year olds now. So within three or four years we have quality coming through. I think our Academy has produced a hell of a lot of very average players and in recent years has been a bit of a failure. Compare ours to Villa's in the time Sheikh Mansour has been with us and we're miles off.

Our academy, has in no way been a failure, either before or since the Sheikh's takeover.

At the level we were before the takeover we had 36 academy players play for the first team a Premier League record if I recall right because we were a mid to bottom of the league club so expectations and standards were not as high. Since the takeover the bar has been raised to a world level and so it will take the academy time to adjust.

We are now getting 14/15 years from around the world who we hope to develop into first team players but there is no on, off switch. It will take time but like the first team it will get there
Spot on. It's an unfortunate side effect of the jump in standard of the first team squad that the majority of the next level down players probably won't be good enough for the step up now(for us that is).
That's why they're bringing in some outstanding young talent to plug the gap that exists now. Some will still take that massive leap from the EDS to the first team but we've reached such heights that it'll take a very good player to do it. Once the new facilities are up and running and a few players moved on and some others step up from the younger age groups then you'll start to see them coming through. We just have to patient with the academy until then.

When you have Premier League/La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga/top Eredivisie teams asking for a youth player on loan, that is probably a good indication he has a chance here. Then you loan them and if they impress, they have an even better chance. Like Wilshere impressed at Bolton but Boyata didn't and look at the different career paths.

You often hear the name Wabara brought up on Twitter with people saying he has a "great future" at City - which Premier League clubs have requested the services of this near 22-year-old on loan? None. Only Championship and League One clubs and the Championship clubs didn't deem him good enough to start games. He'll never in a million years be good enough for City. Reminds of Scapuzzi who people actually thought could make it here... never in a hundred billion years, he couldn't even get off the bench much at an Italian 2nd division club.

On the other hand you have Guidetti who has attracted genuine interest from clubs across Europe's top leagues - he has probably justified a place in the weekly match day squad (if he can ever get fit). And right now he is the only one who can command such a spot I think. There are a few others who could hover on the fringe of the first team like Suarez and Rekik, but they would be better off playing for Espanyol or PSV for a year. Guidetti's development accelerated thanks to an excellent loan move.

Neville Kneville said:
CTID101 said:
It will be the usuals.
Rekik, Suarez and Razak.

You don't judge individual players on the results of the team they play fo ffs.

By that reconing, Gareth Bale isn't good enough for City as he's never won fuck all, like Isco.
So Suarez and Rekik etc all were fantastic throughout the season and it was the other players that meant the team did badly?
No is the answer, not one of the ones people on here rave about eg Suarez performed very well at all by all accounts, yet people think he should be playing in the first team!

But Bale has proven how good he is in every competition he has played in so yes he is good enough. So is Isco. I don't know why you brought them up.

If the teams within the academy are successful then the players who stand out deserve to be with the first team.
Look at other teams in Europe, their academy teams are very good and successful.
You will also notice that when the time is right a group of the best players from that team all move up together. Not just one.

Look at the team the rags had in the 90's eg Scholes, Neville's and Beckham etc. They won a lot at their own level and then moved up to the first team as a group and were successful again in the first team.
I understand you can't do this all the time but it is what the club should be striving to do.

I think it is ridiculous that next season Pellegrini would just say Suarez can be in the first team but no one else.
I would rather he stayed with the EDS and lead the team along with the other youth prospects to success in their own competitions then they can move up to the first team once they have done so.

Rekik needs a loan but he's still only 18, a year in the Eridivisie would do his development a lot of good, imo. Perhaps he could feature in the squad after that or get another loan, this time to a PL side. He's a talent but like Suarez has stagnated over the last 12/18 months. That said, both have had injuries.

A year in Spain would help Suarez a lot too.

Guidetti could feature, I like him a lot although wouldn't be fair to him to rely on him as 3rd choice after so long out.

What for the likes of Evans, Huws etc.?
Anyone after that is too young (Pozo, Lopes).

TexasBlueMoon said:
Guidetti and Suarez please. Let them lose against the bottom tier defenses
Oh dear, that wouldn't do well against their confidence, would it?

From what I have seen when watching the EDS, the really talented players are also some of the youngest; Pozo, Lopes and Ntcham are particularly talented and will become excellent players. Ready for the first team, who knows but unless you give them half an hour you will never really identify their level. Emyr Huws is another who I found consistently impressive at EDS level.

Rekik and Guidetti I would give game time to now against lesser opposition in cup games and also when games are already won. If not, release them on loan to "footballing" sides to build their experience at a higher level than EDS. These players are ready to play first team football now but possibly, at the moment, not at the level we need in the bigger games. With six months to a year premiership football behind them, I believe they will be able to assume first team squad status.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.