Pellegrini's post-Barca comments. Update P12. 2 game ban

Re: Manuel Pellegrini's post-Barca comments.

First of all, I came here to something else but seing the reaction from most of the posters here, I will write something else instead.

I don't get this referee talk at all. If anything, he was consistent on his job and Barca should be actually condemning the referee for disallowing the perfectly legit goal.

First goal incident, there is no doubt whatsoever that it is a red card. About the penalty, it looked stone wall penalty to almost everyone when it happened. Of course, after seeing it several times in slow motion, the decision was wrong. But anyway, to blame the referee for giving penalty there is small time.

Then there is the Barcelona goal which was disallowed. It kind off was a call that should settle the wrongly given penalty.

I don't remember any other major incidents from the game, which in itself shows that the referee did a good job.

Now, I understand Chelsea fans going crazy for that infamous loss to Barca in 2009/10 season, I even understand Arsenal fans complaining for that Van Persie red card and I do understand Inter Milan complaining for Motta's red card. But I don't get why City fans and their manager want to blame the loss to the ref.

The red card was the right decision and even if the penalty was not given, Barca scored 2 perfectly legit goal and thus the scoreline should have been 0-2 anyway.

If anyone wants to blame for the soft calls gone to Barca players ( which I honestly don't remember), it's better for your team to understand as soon as possible that you are not playing at the EPL, but UEFA CL. You can't be as physical as in EPL because there are teams from all over the continents which have differently perspective on how hard you can go on a tackle.

If anything you guys should be blaming, it should be your captain who played Messi on. Seriously, I think Pellegrini had his tactics spot on for this game, but that red card (correct one) ruined his tactics.

I don't blame the ref for the loss.

But the soft calls Barca got werent awarded to us. He was very inconsistent. I don't mind European style soft calls if both teams get them.

Barca were the better team anyway and deserved their win, although a draw wouldnt have been a travesty given how we played.

Dribble said:
moomba said:
Won't make much difference but an apology is the right thing to do.
Sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe in to make a difference in this world. Pellegrini has, and as a result at UEFA's next meeting the situation of the double penalty of a sending off and a penalty for a contravention in the area is to be discussed under AOB.

If anything happens it'll be too late for us, but it could change the course of the game in general for the better.

It won't though will, even The GPC had that one worked out and never criticised after a Champions league match in latter years.

moomba said:
I don't blame the ref for the loss.

But the soft calls Barca got werent awarded to us. He was very inconsistent. I don't mind European style soft calls if both teams get them.

Barca were the better team anyway and deserved their win, although a draw wouldnt have been a travesty given how we played.

Honeslty speaking, your team's inexperience was a major factor in this game (not individual players but team as a whole was inexperienced). For me, City is still in a learning process and you won't win the CL without going through it. You will need more than couple of years to win this trophy. Instead of focussing on the shortcomings and remain faithful to yourselves, your manager went on about referee as if the result was his fault (which seriously sounded like a Mourinho rant than anything else, and havind done so many good things in past years, this should not be the way forward for you guys).

I don't think he should have made the comments. He has now apologised for doing so.

UEFA will punish him as they say fit, but it's no longer a big issue for me.

moomba said:
I don't think he should have made the comments. He has now apologised for doing so.

UEFA will punish him as they say fit, but it's no longer a big issue for me.

He might need to get in Chappy's kit basket to get in the Nou Camp

CrownPointBlue said:
Unesessary,embarrassing and rather surprising. Shows a sort of weakness under pressure that isn't normally associated with Pelle. You can bet it will be highlighted time after time by opponents & the meeja!! Bet Maureen had a smile.
There are support groups for the easily embarrassed, I suggest you attend before it gets a grip of you.

Can't believe MP is so vitriolic

BBC web site said:
For the first time Manuel Pellegrini is under pressure at Manchester City - and it's showing.

The normally urbane manager's vitriolic attack on the referee after the Champions League defeat by Barcelona was totally inappropriate. The ref had every right to send off Martin Demichelis, who was once so magnificent in marshalling the mayhem created by Europe's top strikers but now is merely mayhem in the making himself.

A jouranlist who needs a lesson in English, there's a surprise. It was as far from vitriolic as it's possible to get.

He has a right to be pissed off. It wasn't just the penalty double whammy though was it? (Actually that wasn't the least bit surprising). Barca got so many soft fouls it was a joke!

ilovefotball said:
First of all, I came here to something else but seing the reaction from most of the posters here, I will write something else instead.

I don't get this referee talk at all. If anything, he was consistent on his job and Barca should be actually condemning the referee for disallowing the perfectly legit goal.

First goal incident, there is no doubt whatsoever that it is a red card. About the penalty, it looked stone wall penalty to almost everyone when it happened. Of course, after seeing it several times in slow motion, the decision was wrong. But anyway, to blame the referee for giving penalty there is small time.

Then there is the Barcelona goal which was disallowed. It kind off was a call that should settle the wrongly given penalty.

I don't remember any other major incidents from the game, which in itself shows that the referee did a good job.

Now, I understand Chelsea fans going crazy for that infamous loss to Barca in 2009/10 season, I even understand Arsenal fans complaining for that Van Persie red card and I do understand Inter Milan complaining for Motta's red card. But I don't get why City fans and their manager want to blame the loss to the ref.

The red card was the right decision and even if the penalty was not given, Barca scored 2 perfectly legit goal and thus the scoreline should have been 0-2 anyway.

If anyone wants to blame for the soft calls gone to Barca players ( which I honestly don't remember), it's better for your team to understand as soon as possible that you are not playing at the EPL, but UEFA CL. You can't be as physical as in EPL because there are teams from all over the continents which have differently perspective on how hard you can go on a tackle.

If anything you guys should be blaming, it should be your captain who played Messi on. Seriously, I think Pellegrini had his tactics spot on for this game, but that red card (correct one) ruined his tactics.
In which case why wasn´t the tackle on Navas called? This incident was solely responsible for ruining what should have been a great specatacle with everything hanging in the balance going into the second leg.
Less physical maybe but let´s have consistency on all fouls when it comes to officiating

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.