Pellegrini's post-Barca comments. Update P12. 2 game ban

Re: Manuel Pellegrini's post-Barca comments.

douglas1977 said:
You can accuse them the trouble is you could never prove it, heat of the moment comments but the ref and linesmen were bent, when alves was booked the ref pointed at about 5 intstances as if they all counted towards that 1 booking ours come from single challenges, the pen wasn't even in the box, if he can't be sure then he can't give it, the foul on navas in the lead up to the penalty decision although weak but inline with all the free kicks given to them and the foul at the end given against dzeko , it's about time that these cheating bastards are outed
Big feeling of deja vu reading this post, did you post something very similar somewhere else?

If key figures in football aren't allowed to fairly criticise referee performances then the quality of refereeing will never improve because attention won't be drawn to it. This is the biggest let down in the CL - it's an amazing competition but is hugely let down by shit referees and the integrity of EUFA which (like the blatantly corrupt FIFA) is very questionable.

Giving a free kick to Barca when Valdez jumped over Negredo (who didn't jump) to reach for a ball he was never gonna get is a prime example of simply stupid referring. Same with when Kompany/Fernandinho nearly scored. Alves should have seen 2 yellows in that game for the 4 cynical fouls in the first 10minutes as well.

I fully expect Pellegrini to get a ban just for the fact that they can't punish us over FFP so they'll take this opportunity instead. While Pelle shouldn't have mentioned Sweden and the quality of football in Sweden he doesn't warrant a ban in my eyes - he expressed his opinion on the penalty decision being outside the box and expressed concern over why this ref with history was selected (as Barca were concerned beforehand about the ref as well).

He is a fuckin shite ref....end of.

All about him right from the first minute.

A twat of the highest order and equally as bad for both teams.

I've no problem with MP's comments about the refereeing decisions on the night, even though he will get bollocked for them. I did think his comments about the ref being Swedish were out of order and unnecessary. Eriksson has refereed nearly 100 internationals and plenty of CL games, he's hardly some wet behind the ears newbie.

I think the biggest issue is his use of the word "impartial" and what exactly he meant by it i.e. did he mean deliberately biased or not fair?

He should have said a lot less about it but he was entitled to say something. I went to the game and watched a recording of the full game and the ref did not have a good game and made two poor incorrect decisions in the lead up to their penalty that may well have effectively cost us the tie. When something like that happens in such a crucial match, it is fair to ask questions.

Heard say that the ref is a muti millionare in Sweden.. why have a ref who is doing the job for fun rather than for a living?? surely he must have a dont give a shit attitude..Most people do a good job cos they know that if they dont they could lose it and their financial security.. This guy has nowt to lose at all except a bit of pride!!

Apart from Collina Ive yet to see a good UEFA ref!!

Clever from MP.

He said what fucking needed saying. He said it so it had less chance of happening again in future.

He'll get a slap on the wrist.

So what?

Well done for standing our ground Manuel.

M24 Citizen said:
If key figures in football aren't allowed to fairly criticise referee performances then the quality of refereeing will never improve because attention won't be drawn to it. This is the biggest let down in the CL - it's an amazing competition but is hugely let down by shit referees and the integrity of EUFA which (like the blatantly corrupt FIFA) is very questionable.

Giving a free kick to Barca when Valdez jumped over Negredo (who didn't jump) to reach for a ball he was never gonna get is a prime example of simply stupid referring. Same with when Kompany/Fernandinho nearly scored. Alves should have seen 2 yellows in that game for the 4 cynical fouls in the first 10minutes as well.

I fully expect Pellegrini to get a ban just for the fact that they can't punish us over FFP so they'll take this opportunity instead. While Pelle shouldn't have mentioned Sweden and the quality of football in Sweden he doesn't warrant a ban in my eyes - he expressed his opinion on the penalty decision being outside the box and expressed concern over why this ref with history was selected (as Barca were concerned beforehand about the ref as well).

(as Barca were concerned beforehand about the ref as well).
====
Which resulted in his non impartiality that Pelle is complaining about... rightly!

Was Navas fouled before the penalty? Possibly, but my first reaction was he dived and Navas hardly appealed. On replays still would have been a soft free-kick.

Was it a penalty? No but it was extremely close and in real-time I don't think we can blame the ref or linesman.

Was it a red card? Of course.

Could they have had a penalty when the ball hit Clichy's hand? Yes, clearly struck his arm and could have been given but would have been harsh. Fact is, if he had some agenda the ref had a perfectly legitimate reason to award Barcelona a penalty in the first half.

Did they have a goal incorrectly ruled out for offside? Yes.

Were the minor decisions that went against us typical of the Champions League and a result of our players too used to the accepted physicality of the Premier League (see Kompany's shoulder barge on Messi) and inexperience in Europe? Yes.

Was Pellegrini wrong to criticise the match officials? In my opinion yes and whether you feel it justified or not the way he went about it was very poor. Nationality should never be brought into it and was a pretty pathetic point to make. Pellegrini comes from Chile, they're hardly a renowned footballing nation, it clearly doesn't affect anything and is entirely irrelevant.

Any forthcoming ban is deserved and Manuel will learn from it, as should the fans always looking for scapegoats. Garcia, Kolarov, Demichellis, Hart etc. and in our manager's case the match officials. Instead, we should look closer to home and at the team as a whole for the reason we lost on Tuesday.

OB1 said:
I think the biggest issue is his use of the word "impartial" and what exactly he meant by it i.e. did he mean deliberately biased or not fair?

He should have said a lot less about it but he was entitled to say something. I went to the game and watched a recording of the full game and the ref did not have a good game and made two poor incorrect decisions in the lead up to their penalty that may well have effectively cost us the tie. When something like that happens in such a crucial match, it is fair to ask questions.

Absolutely right and I think MP could be excused for being very upset at poor UEFA officiating. A shockingly bad offside decision knocked Malaga out of the Champions League last season and this year we got a weak inept ref who was at best inconsistent in his decision making.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.