Pep Guardiola - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if there is anything applicable from what I've heard and read about other elite sportsmen dealing with pressure after being number one or dominating for long periods: that they can cope with defeat if they are hindered or unable to give their A game, weakened in some way, but became afraid to lose when they were at full capacity. Is Klopp to Pep, Borg's McEnroe, Navratilova' s Graf, Ali's Holmes, Palmer's Nicklaus? Or has he just got his number?
Navratilova especially found it difficult to cope and would do things like having her racket deliberately strung incorrectly or wearing too tight shoes just so she had an excuse to fall back on in case she lost to a fierce rival. Made her feel slightly better clinging to something as a reason.

Last edited:
Stood by his word to play his 'cup keeper' and paid the penalty. In my opinion, Steffen never looked comfortable at any point in the match.

If he'd picked Ederson, we'd probably be in the final. We could say exactly the same about last season

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Pep should have learned from it last season. There's no room for sentiment if you want to win trophies.
No room for sentiment? Yet you keep banging on about wanting Pep to play Grealish even though he isn't up to speed.

I wonder if there is anything applicable from what I've heard and read about other elite sportsmen dealing with pressure after being number one or dominating for long periods: that they can cope with defeat if they are hindered unable to give their best game, weakened in some way, but became afraid to lose when they were at full capacity. Is Klopp to Pep, Borg's McEnroe, Navratilova' s Graf, Ali's Holmes, Palmer's Nicklaus? Or has he just got his number?
Navratilova especially found it difficult to cope and would do things like having her racket deliberately strung incorrectly or wearing too tight shoes just so she had an excuse to fall back on in case she lost to a fierce rival. Made her feel slightly better clinging to something as reason.
Ok, let's look at games against Liverpool before Saturday.

This season we played them twice in the league, and on both occasions we thoroughly outplayed them, only being undone by their hyper clinical finishing and our wastefulness.

Last season, we drew at home in an even game and then tonked them away.

The season before, we were robbed at Anfield by the ref before tonking them at home.

The season before, we were a missed penalty away from beating them at Anfield before famously outmuscling them at home.

I'm not sure Klopp is inside Pep's head as much as you'd think. The only reason Klopp's record against Pep isn't bad is due to Liverpool's ability to scrape draws when they're outplayed.

Ok, let's look at games against Liverpool before Saturday.

This season we played them twice in the league, and on both occasions we thoroughly outplayed them, only being undone by their hyper clinical finishing and our wastefulness.

Last season, we drew at home in an even game and then tonked them away.

The season before, we were robbed at Anfield by the ref before tonking them at home.

The season before, we were a missed penalty away from beating them at Anfield before famously outmuscling them at home.

I'm not sure Klopp is inside Pep's head as much as you'd think. The only reason Klopp's record against Pep isn't bad is due to Liverpool's ability to scrape draws when they're outplayed.
Yep I get that and we were unlucky - but we were unlucky after fielding a team many wouldn't have. Mahrez and Grealish start last week instead of Jesus and Sterling and I reckon we walk that game.

Cue all those that have bought into "but they track back and win the ball back" - ignoring the fact they frequently lose it again and we're out of position.

Last edited:
Agree with all that but Sane is twice the player Foden is. The drop off between to two is fairly big. Even Sterling isn't where Sane was.
I wouldn't go as far as saying Sane is twice the player. I would agree that he was a better left winger for us than Foden as he had the pace and skill to beat his fullback regularly as well as being a very good crosser and a natural finisher.

Phil can also play the position very well but he doesn't have Sane's searing pace so his dribbling ability is less effective out wide when a fullback stands him up. He has other strengths that are probably more suited to being a number 10 but we rarely play with one so the front three, preferably the left, is the best place for him right now as his natural instinct is still to go forward. His energy helps us to press from the front and he's one of our best crossers of the ball.

Overall, I agree with you in that I preferred it when we had Sane on the left but disagree that he's twice the player. Foden is still a very good left winger as he proved last season and will hopefully be moved back there when we get a striker. Maybe further down the line when he learns how to play the position properly, he'll be moved in to midfield where he can showcase his creative ability a bit more.

Agree,I remember the problems and criticism at united when they went back on their word to Romero and dropped him for a final. Always see the bigger picture and long term benefit of keeping to your word.
Mancini too with Costal, although he already knew he was getting the sack at that point. Trusting in your manager is massive

He doesn’t and it came back to bite him yesterday.

He has had so many opportunities to play McAtee, Delap, Palmer and Edozie and refuse to do it because apparently it’s more important to give Fernandinho 10 minutes against Leeds when we’re 7-0 up to keep him happy than blood Lavia.

And then we get to a game like yesterday where everyone is fucking exhausted or injured but the academy kids aren’t real options.

our bench yesterday -

Dias - not fit
Gundogan - not fit enough to come on according to Pep
Laporte
Rodri
De Bruyne - not fit enough to come on according to Pep
Mahrez
Ederson
Delap - not useable
Lavia - not useable

So our 9 man bench was actually a 4 man bench - and 2 of those were being rested because they were knackered after playing 2 of the biggest games of the season back to back.

If he used the kids when he had the chance, we’d have had some options to win a very winnable game yesterday.
Yes, very much agree. Not every single player needs to be world class. LiVARpool have introduced several youngsters with no discernible drop in performance

Of course the Madrid ties both took a toll on the team. Particularly as the bulk of the team are playing one big game after another. However the lack of quality conversion of chances creates the very situation we now face. We played conservatively in the home tie with Madrid doing just enough to establish a lead and keep those core players reasonably fresh for Liverpool. We had chances to have a 2 or 3 goal lead to take to Madrid but instead spurned them whilst dominating possession. That set up a tough away leg where yet again our possession was not converted into goals to kill the tie led to the energy sapping last 25 minutes.
So to me it seems this all goes back to not replacing the strike force. Goals not possession win games.
Think there is a lot in this. There are several examples where we could kill games off much earlier and rotate players or conserve energy

I think the decision to play Steffen was due to several factors, and the back-up keeper issue is a tricky one to resolve.

I do think Guardiola wants to maintain a happy squad, and taking a step back for the minute, he probably does have to promise playing in a number of games each season (10 or more) in order to attract and keep a good backup keeper at the club. If he promised Steffen the cup games, then there he probably needs to play him, but I’m not sure this sort of arrangement really works for the team as once you get to the semis, you need to put your best team out.

I do however think that Guardiola fails to see the FA cup as a priority, and his team selections for the semi-finals over the past few years also back this up. Personally I’d rather he play a really weakened team, with lots of academy players, and risk going out in rounds 4/5 than playing four games in the competition - increasing the players’ workload - only to put a weak team out in the semi. All seems a bit pointless to me, and we also lose momentum at the sharp end of the season. Not to mention asking fans to buy expensive tickets and travel all the way to Wembley for a shit day out.

The issue on Saturday was that in a weakened team we were always going to be pressed high - we seemed to be encouraging it - and this pressure exposed Steffan’s shortcomings with his footwork, whereas Eddie would have just dealt with it. It may just be better to play the No. 2 keeper against shit teams at home in the league than in important cup games against our main rivals.
Strange logic here mate saying Pep does not see the cup as priority yet you want him to play weakened teams and possibly go out early.
The reason he does not see it as a bigger priority than PL or CL is we have no insurance left in the league and face a monumental challenge against Real in a few days time.
Pep's problem is he sees all 4 trophies as priority from the start but truth is we don't really have the depth of squad to go full in for all 4 especially with top class teams challenging so we end up with situations like Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.