Pep Guardiola - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of us need to realise that cup finals will be won and lost
The team put one hell of a shift in to win the league plus an epic tie v Madrid so no surrogate today was a bit after the Lord mayor’s parade.
Huge summer ahead now to refresh the squad with proper quality

After the year we have had he deserves a lot of slack even with final loss against the rags and the selection brain farts. And we've haven't done too badly against that lot in our recent history including last year's final. With the Law of Averages we were due to lose a major final.
At last a sensible and balanced reflection on today.

My thoughts exactly.

A genius but sticking Ake and Stones at CB today felt like some sort of sympathy selection for their lack of recent game time. Both of them have looked completely unfit for weeks/months and I found it baffling that you would choose to start them with a cup on the line, against a team that are going to stick XI behind the ball and try to break quickly. I get that we rotate more than most but it’s a final, against our biggest rivals. What other team/manager would choose to play a weakened back four in a final? Blows my mind.

genius but sticking Ake and Stones at CB today felt like some sort of sympathy selection for their lack of recent game time. Both of them have looked completely unfit for weeks/months and I found it baffling that you would choose to start them with a cup on the line, against a team that are going to stick XI behind the ball and try to break quickly. I get that we rotate more than most but it’s a final, against our biggest rivals. What other team/manager would choose to play a weakened back four in a final? Blows my mind.
The back four that started were like a tribute band
When was the last time Ake and Stones started as a starting centre back pairing?

A genius but sticking Ake and Stones at CB today felt like some sort of sympathy selection for their lack of recent game time. Both of them have looked completely unfit for weeks/months and I found it baffling that you would choose to start them with a cup on the line, against a team that are going to stick XI behind the ball and try to break quickly. I get that we rotate more than most but it’s a final, against our biggest rivals. What other team/manager would choose to play a weakened back four in a final? Blows my mind.
Pep is the best league manager ever, but he isn't as effective in cup competitions, too many bizarre selections over the years.

I’m not sure it was sympathy, it was a tactical decision that was ultimately proven wrong.

Pep must have known that Utd were going to play a false 9 which is why our two best ball playing defenders started and our two physical defenders didn’t.

As always he gets more decision correctly than not.
Showed them far too much respect today. Foden drifting in is a waste of time without a wide man to help create space. No Akanji smacked of give everyone a game. All they have is pace on the break. Anyone seriously think he’d have started that back line for the league?

Showed them far too much respect today. Foden drifting in is a waste of time without a wide man to help create space. No Akanji smacked of give everyone a game. All they have is pace on the break. Anyone seriously think he’d have started that back line for the league?
Like the Champions League defeat vs Chelsea we'll never know his reasoning for the preparation and the team selection. But our trophy haul is very impressive.

After what he’s won how can any of us complain. He knows he lost that because of his lineup today, and players should not have been out on the piss until last night. Very unlike Pep to allow that, and lost our focus. Provided the rags with their team talk. Let’s hope he finds the motivation to go again, and we get the cheque book out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.