pep guardiola

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't want him here unless he shows he can adapt at Bayern. The system that was so successful at Barca has been found out by the better clubs and Bayern have looked toothless in both legs against Real and for large periods in their other knockout ties. He doesn't treat physical strength as an asset and that's where they lost out tonight with Ramos' power at corners and the speed of Real's counter for the third.

Would much rather Pellegrini's possession with a purpose once he's completely settled. We've got a nice mix of the possession and power.

the sister-in-law shagger is apparently just as good and would be much cheaper........

Can't believe how many people are questioning his ability. Let's not forget he took a team to the bernabeu and had them pinned back in their area and if they got the first goal the whole tie would have been different. Today he got it wrong, quite clearly commited too many forward and was easily picked off on the counter as a result(and 3 goals were set pieces). His style of play( when the team is flowing) is brilliant and who could deny that they'd love to see that in blue. In my opinion he's the best manager in the world and also plays football the way it's meant to be played and I'd take him here in a heartbeat

thesilvalining said:
Can't believe how many people are questioning his ability. Let's not forget he took a team to the bernabeu and had them pinned back in their area and if they got the first goal the whole tie would have been different. Today he got it wrong, quite clearly commited too many forward and was easily picked off on the counter as a result(and 3 goals were set pieces). His style of play( when the team is flowing) is brilliant and who could deny that they'd love to see that in blue. In my opinion he's the best manager in the world and also plays football the way it's meant to be played and I'd take him here in a heartbeat

He had them pinned back ? Or maybe Real Madrid intentionally pinned themselves back ? Maybe they wanted to sit deep and hit them on the break ?

I'm not so sure if football is meant to be played in the Guardiola way. To me , tiki taka is extreme and defensive.

^ What the above poster meant to say is, he went to the bernabeu and let Ancelotti pull the rope-a-dope on him, was lucky to only lose 1-0 without ever looking like scoring and then fell for the same trick a week later and got the hiding he deserved.
For the record, I still think he's a talented manager but he needs to realise when he's gotten it wrong.
Edit: thesilvalining, not 101 numbers who replied to him :)

aguero93:20 said:
^ What the above poster meant to say is, he went to the bernabeu and let Ancelotti pull the rope-a-dope on him, was lucky to only lose 1-0 without ever looking like scoring and then fell for the same trick a week later and got the hiding he deserved.
For the record, I still think he's a talented manager but he needs to realise when he's gotten it wrong.
Edit: thesilvalining, not 101 numbers who replied to him :)
That is a way of looking at it that he played into ancelottis hands. However, if bayern went out and got an early goal I think the tie would have been very different and bayern would of gone on to win it.
Maybe the fact that he's only managed Barcelona and bayern rather than any smaller clubs has made him believe he can go to any ground and play how he wants, it'll get found out against counter attacking teams of course but I'd prefer a manager to go and try to play attacking no matter what than do what mourinho does in big games.

johnson28392 said:
thesilvalining said:

He had them pinned back ? Or maybe Real Madrid intentionally pinned themselves back ? Maybe they wanted to sit deep and hit them on the break ?

I'm not so sure if football is meant to be played in the Guardiola way. To me , tiki taka is extreme and defensive.
Tiki taka, when the team are playing well, is amazing to watch. I'd much prefer to watch us dictate the tempo than be a counter attacking team, although it is an effective method and can sometimes be entertaining aswell(like Dortmund not chelsea). I wouldn't say it's defensive but I can see where you come from and it's one step forward and 2 steps back when it's not flowing and they're going into blind ally's, but with the full backs so far forward and the defence so high up surely you don't think guardiola is intentionally being defensive and killing the game, he just has a style that If the right pass isn't on don't force it, which means they struggle to break down the opposition when not playing well.

thesilvalining said:
johnson28392 said:
thesilvalining said:

Tiki taka, when the team are playing well, is amazing to watch. I'd much prefer to watch us dictate the tempo than be a counter attacking team, although it is an effective method and can sometimes be entertaining aswell(like Dortmund not chelsea). I wouldn't say it's defensive but I can see where you come from and it's one step forward and 2 steps back when it's not flowing and they're going into blind ally's, but with the full backs so far forward and the defence so high up surely you don't think guardiola is intentionally being defensive and killing the game, he just has a style that If the right pass isn't on don't force it, which means they struggle to break down the opposition when not playing well.

I disagree with you there and if you read what Guardiola says, he actually is intentionally being defensive. If you have the ball then you cannot be attacked. Guardiola basically believes that the key to every match is the midfield. So to gain control of the midfield he plays as many midfielders as possible. Lahm and Alaba playing like midfielders or wishing to use the false 9 is an example of that.

To be fair to Guardiola Tika-taka is extremely effective in winning a league. Chelsea have the best record against the top teams, but they are likely to finish third. Tika-taka is extremely difficult for a team on the level of say Palace to cope with it. As well drilled and disciplined as our players are they lack the quality of say Cahill and Terry. Eventually if you keep probing we will make a mistake and you can score. The problem for Pep in England is that we are a very physical league. On a small pitch like Upton Park, West Ham can just hit it long to Carroll and have runners off him. Palace have to speed of Bolassie. Villa can do the same with Benteke, Gabby and Wieman etc. So more so than other leagues, Pep will find even the weakest Premiership teams have the capability to hurt Tika-taka.

Against a top team they will do what Madrid or Dortmund have done to them recently.

Another big problem Pep has had this year is his constant changing of teams and lineups. This has meant that players have not gelled or formed partnerships. Moyes made a similar mistake at United.

Still players generally love Pep, he tends to keep them highly motivated for most competitive matches and does give youth a chance. He has an unbelievable record of success and players are going to give him respect, which a lesser successful manager will struggle to get.

It seems that playing a certain style of football is very important to the board, so I think Ancelotti would be the best man for the job. Though his current Madrid team is a counter attacking one, he has made them more possession based than last season. His Chelsea and Milan teams were also very good in possession and played great football. His Chelsea team being the team with the record. A pattern I have noticed with Ancelotti is he seems to be too confident at times. It may be a coincidence, but too many of the biggest turn arounds in football have happened to his team. Juve vs United, Deportivo vs Milan, Liverpool vs Milan, almost Dortmund vs Madrid. This complacency has led to his teams slipping up against the weaker teams too often and costing him league titles, which is not going to happen with Pep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.