pep guardiola

Status
Not open for further replies.
BillyShears said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
BillyShears said:
To be fair, it hasn't really taken 2 - 3 years to implement Pep's way at Bayern. They swept the Bundesliga and got to the semi's of the CL only to be beaten by the team I expect to win the final too. This whilst playing Pep's way.

I don't see his way of playing as being anymore dogmatic than the Dutch idea of total football from which Pep took his inspirations. The key is having the right personnel and unfortunately for Pep this season he hasn't had a centre forward who can offer what they need, which IMO is why they've looked toothless at times in the CL. Stick Lewandowski in that team and I think it's unlikely they get humbled in the way they were last night.
The problem last night mostly is that once 2 pieces of awful defending put the game some distance away they had to go forward even more and inevitably the 3rd goal came which was the end of the game and the tie. The 4th was just the icing on the cake to a team that had by then jumped in the showers

That would've been the same for anyone though. Ultimately the problem for Bayern was not scoring in Madrid. It meant Madrid could sit back and play on the counter all night last night. Changed the dynamic of the game completely. And as I say, I think you stick Lewa in that team and the outcome would be much closer.

-- Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:53 am --

aguero93:20 said:
Lewandowski isn't Messi mate, he won't make that big a difference, he's best in a counter attacking team as well, if I was up against a packed defence I'd rather have Mandzukic due to his aerial ability.

We don't know if Lewa is best in a counter attacking team, we just know that he's flourished in a counter attacking side. At the same time though, there's nothing to suggest that he can't play in Pep's system.

Regarding the comparison with MM ... honestly I think Lewa is ten times the players MM is. Quicker, more agile, just as much a threat in the air, a much bigger threat with the ball at his feet, someone who's movement and overall football intelligence is world class. Pretty much on every level i'd take Lewa over MM any day of the week. To Pep that intelligence will make a world of difference.

To play those tactics he might be better to make Gotze a false 9. Ready made Messi-lite.

CityStu said:
MCFCinUSA said:
CityStu said:
Could see this happening too. More so than motivating the Bayern players, Pep himself looked utterly defeated after Ramos opened the scoring yesterday.

you might be better at reading the body language and subtleties in human behaviour, but I'm going off a conversation I had in NYC over a year ago.. Pep's a spent force (I was told) and I was led to believe is probably on a very short fuse

Have you read Zlatan's autobiography? Whilst obviously only telling one side of a story, it gave quite an insight into the type of manager Pep was/is.

no, it wasn't anything I read, only a conversation with an informed source.

dobobobo said:
Fuck Pep! I want Diego Simeone!

Sort it out City!

Simeone's achievements better Guardiola's in my opinion. He came into a club he knew from his playing days but built a new team that has won the Europa League, Copa del rey and now looks like winning La Liga and has got them to the final of this all with a group of players that would by and large not get into either of the more illustrious spanish clubs.

Guardiola knew the way Barca played, he played it, managed the reserves and then when he got the first team job he had Iniesta, Messi and Xavi, 3 of the best players ever to grace a football pitch. Not dissing his achievements which are great in their own right.

Plaything of the gods said:
Mr. Aguia said:
herrock said:
Not looking so good a manager now is he!

They did win the league. They are in the final of the domestic cup. Final 4 of UCL. Would tear my own arm off for that level of success. No team has ever won back to back UCL. Toughest competition in the world of club football to win.

That being said in both games vs Madrid his big move to change the game is to bring in Martinez. Puzzling. Needed a goal yet brought in a DM. Not like they weren't already dominating possession so I don't get that move at all. IMO Goetze should have started or at the very least he should have come on instead of Martinez. Play Schweinstiger as the DM and Kroos and Goetze as the attacking mids with Muller as the false 9.
And when was the last time City got beat by more than 2 goals (HOME or away)?

Defiantly against us at home, where they played the false 9 and battered us. Also didn't Barca beat us by 2 away?

robbieh said:
dobobobo said:

Sort it out City!

Simeone's achievements better Guardiola's in my opinion. He came into a club he knew from his playing days but built a new team that has won the Europa League, Copa del rey and now looks like winning La Liga and has got them to the final of this all with a group of players that would by and large not get into either of the more illustrious spanish clubs.

Guardiola knew the way Barca played, he played it, managed the reserves and then when he got the first team job he had Iniesta, Messi and Xavi, 3 of the best players ever to grace a football pitch. Not dissing his achievements which are great in their own right.

Totally agree. Not forgetting though that they were fourth from bottom when he took over in late 2011.

As I've said before in this thread, I like Pellegrini, but if he was not at City i'd want Pep to bring stability. I wouldn't want his style forever though. When i've been able to watch Atletico Madrid this season i've seen football at it's finest and it's all down to Simeone.

dobobobo said:
robbieh said:
dobobobo said:

Sort it out City!

Totally agree. Not forgetting though that they were fourth from bottom when he took over in late 2011.

As I've said before in this thread, I like Pellegrini, but if he was not at City i'd want Pep to bring stability. I wouldn't want his style forever though. When i've been able to watch Atletico Madrid this season i've seen football at it's finest and it's all down to Simeone.

Pep may be about to be all burned out, so that wouldn't gel well with stability (mental or otherwise)

MCFCinUSA said:
dobobobo said:
robbieh said:

Pep may be about to be all burned out, so that wouldn't gel well with stability (mental or otherwise)

We shall see. But anything can happen in the knock out stages of a cup.<br /><br />-- Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:17 pm --<br /><br />P.S. I wouldn't mind seeing City win the league in record time.

Manager's extend their personality, intelligence, organisation, passion and confidence into their teams.

The best managers can lift good players to be excellent players.

There is no question Pep is a very good manager, but his inflexibility to adjust his tactics seems a weakness.

Pep at the moment seems second best to Simeone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.