pep guardiola

Status
Not open for further replies.
BillyShears said:
Dubai Blue said:
Why take a system that is is perfectly suited to the players on hand and is sweeping all before it, and replace it root and branch with a system that will require at least 2-3 years to implement properly?

Pep needs to be more flexible in his approach - the circumstances that enabled him to dominate with pure tika-taka at Barcelona are unlikely to ever be recreated, so he needs to become a bit more creative rather than simply trying to re-invent the wheel. He's a top manager and I hope he doesn't become bogged down with his tika-taka obsession for the whole of his career.

To be fair, it hasn't really taken 2 - 3 years to implement Pep's way at Bayern. They swept the Bundesliga and got to the semi's of the CL only to be beaten by the team I expect to win the final too. This whilst playing Pep's way.

I don't see his way of playing as being anymore dogmatic than the Dutch idea of total football from which Pep took his inspirations. The key is having the right personnel and unfortunately for Pep this season he hasn't had a centre forward who can offer what they need, which IMO is why they've looked toothless at times in the CL. Stick Lewandowski in that team and I think it's unlikely they get humbled in the way they were last night.
The problem last night mostly is that once 2 pieces of awful defending put the game some distance away they had to go forward even more and inevitably the 3rd goal came which was the end of the game and the tie. The 4th was just the icing on the cake to a team that had by then jumped in the showers

BillyShears said:
Dubai Blue said:
Why take a system that is is perfectly suited to the players on hand and is sweeping all before it, and replace it root and branch with a system that will require at least 2-3 years to implement properly?

Pep needs to be more flexible in his approach - the circumstances that enabled him to dominate with pure tika-taka at Barcelona are unlikely to ever be recreated, so he needs to become a bit more creative rather than simply trying to re-invent the wheel. He's a top manager and I hope he doesn't become bogged down with his tika-taka obsession for the whole of his career.

To be fair, it hasn't really taken 2 - 3 years to implement Pep's way at Bayern. They swept the Bundesliga and got to the semi's of the CL only to be beaten by the team I expect to win the final too. This whilst playing Pep's way.

I don't see his way of playing as being anymore dogmatic than the Dutch idea of total football from which Pep took his inspirations. The key is having the right personnel and unfortunately for Pep this season he hasn't had a centre forward who can offer what they need, which IMO is why they've looked toothless at times in the CL. Stick Lewandowski in that team and I think it's unlikely they get humbled in the way they were last night.
Lewandowski isn't Messi mate, he won't make that big a difference, he's best in a counter attacking team as well, if I was up against a packed defence I'd rather have Mandzukic due to his aerial ability.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
BillyShears said:
Dubai Blue said:

The problem last night mostly is that once 2 pieces of awful defending put the game some distance away they had to go forward even more and inevitably the 3rd goal came which was the end of the game and the tie. The 4th was just the icing on the cake to a team that had by then jumped in the showers

That would've been the same for anyone though. Ultimately the problem for Bayern was not scoring in Madrid. It meant Madrid could sit back and play on the counter all night last night. Changed the dynamic of the game completely. And as I say, I think you stick Lewa in that team and the outcome would be much closer.<br /><br />-- Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:53 am --<br /><br />
aguero93:20 said:
Lewandowski isn't Messi mate, he won't make that big a difference, he's best in a counter attacking team as well, if I was up against a packed defence I'd rather have Mandzukic due to his aerial ability.

We don't know if Lewa is best in a counter attacking team, we just know that he's flourished in a counter attacking side. At the same time though, there's nothing to suggest that he can't play in Pep's system.

Regarding the comparison with MM ... honestly I think Lewa is ten times the players MM is. Quicker, more agile, just as much a threat in the air, a much bigger threat with the ball at his feet, someone who's movement and overall football intelligence is world class. Pretty much on every level i'd take Lewa over MM any day of the week. To Pep that intelligence will make a world of difference.

Lewandowski is just all around better than Mandzukic and a world class striker. I don't think there is any situation I would rather have Mandzukic than Lewandowski. That being said, he would not have made a difference next year. Lewandowski is probably the most complete striker under 30 and can fit in many styles of football, but Tika-taka will be a waste for him.

Pep now wants to get rid of half the team and has starting his summer campaign. It's unbelievable how the media let him get away with some of the things he says. After the game in Madrid he dared to say Bayern don't have the players to counter attack quickly and so have to play in a different style.

supercrystal7 said:
Lewandowski is just all around better than Mandzukic and a world class striker. I don't think there is any situation I would rather have Mandzukic than Lewandowski. That being said, he would not have made a difference next year. Lewandowski is probably the most complete striker under 30 and can fit in many styles of football, but Tika-taka will be a waste for him.

Pep now wants to get rid of half the team and has starting his summer campaign. It's unbelievable how the media let him get away with some of the things he says. After the game in Madrid he dared to say Bayern don't have the players to counter attack quickly and so have to play in a different style.
Mandzukic is a target man, Lewandowski isn't and therefore he's more effective against a packed defence.
If he's said the highlighted part then he truly is blinkered, hope he never comes here if he said that (although our players would suit him better than Bayern's)

thesilvalining said:
johnson28392 said:
thesilvalining said:
Can't believe how many people are questioning his ability. Let's not forget he took a team to the bernabeu and had them pinned back in their area and if they got the first goal the whole tie would have been different. Today he got it wrong, quite clearly commited too many forward and was easily picked off on the counter as a result(and 3 goals were set pieces). His style of play( when the team is flowing) is brilliant and who could deny that they'd love to see that in blue. In my opinion he's the best manager in the world and also plays football the way it's meant to be played and I'd take him here in a heartbeat

He had them pinned back ? Or maybe Real Madrid intentionally pinned themselves back ? Maybe they wanted to sit deep and hit them on the break ?

I'm not so sure if football is meant to be played in the Guardiola way. To me , tiki taka is extreme and defensive.
Tiki taka, when the team are playing well, is amazing to watch. I'd much prefer to watch us dictate the tempo than be a counter attacking team, although it is an effective method and can sometimes be entertaining aswell(like Dortmund not chelsea). I wouldn't say it's defensive but I can see where you come from and it's one step forward and 2 steps back when it's not flowing and they're going into blind ally's, but with the full backs so far forward and the defence so high up surely you don't think guardiola is intentionally being defensive and killing the game, he just has a style that If the right pass isn't on don't force it, which means they struggle to break down the opposition when not playing well.

Too many long balls is extreme, too many short balls is extreme too.

supercrystal7 said:

Mandzukic is a target man, Lewandowski isn't and therefore he's more effective against a packed defence.
If he's said the highlighted part then he truly is blinkered, hope he never comes here if he said that (although our players would suit him better than Bayern's)
Why do you say Lewandowski can't be a target man against a packed defense? Dortmund as a team struggle against packed defenses, but it's not down to Lewandowski. He is very strong and probably the best top striker at holding the ball up. He is the best lone striker out there. He is also physical and a threat in the box. At the same time his feet are good enough to play in others. He is just an upgraded version of Mandzukic at everything.

supercrystal7 said:
supercrystal7 said:

Why do you say Lewandowski can't be a target man against a packed defense? Dortmund as a team struggle against packed defenses, but it's not down to Lewandowski. He is very strong and probably the best top striker at holding the ball up. He is the best lone striker out there. He is also physical and a threat in the box. At the same time his feet are good enough to play in others. He is just an upgraded version of Mandzukic at everything.

Ibrahimovic?

MaccJoe123 said:
supercrystal7 said:

Ibrahimovic?
Yeh Zlatan is better as a player and holding up player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.