pep guardiola

Status
Not open for further replies.
BayernMan said:

That means nothing at all, but I'll be happy enough if he signs a new deal there. Just don't want him going to a rival here.

Doesn't rule out City there though & would be a bit ridiculous if he said ' I think I'll fuck off after next season '.

Didsbury Dave said:
I'm no cynic said:
dannybcity said:
I'm by no means a frequent La Liga watcher but isn't Simeone tactically more of a 'build from the back' kind of manager? I'd be surprised if the powers that be appointed a defensively minded manager when Pellegrini was apparently appointed in order to get us playing a more attacking style of football.
That's a fair point and the whole concept [according to Txiki] is to build a 4-3-3 way of playing at all levels of the club, and if we get to achieve that then it will be easier to work our most promising kids through the system and into the first team and hopefully make the playing side of City self-sufficient without ever thinking of FFP again. But as we all know, the really great teams are built from the back first and then through the midfield before the icing on the cake up front. Their are plenty of Mourinho fans on these threads, and although he isn't my cup of tea, I have to accept that even with the fortune that his club has had to spend ever since the oligarch bought his club, the overwhelming success that Mourinho has brought has come from a willingness to dig in and battle for everything, and if it brings in a dozen consecutive dour 1-0 victories rather than a couple of 5-0 wins and a couple of defeats in that spell, Mourinho will always go for the wins first. Maybe Simeone would be of that same mindset.

Txiki's 'all levels 4-3-3' is one of the weirdest and most enduring myths of modern day Manchester City. Some junior coach speculated about two years ago and it got twisted into a little peice of tabloid gossip. But City fans still quote it as fact.

I think the fact that over that two years I've seen city teams in pretty much every formation but that one speaks volumes.

A 'club formation' would be lunacy.

Nope thats the way the Dutch play .....even in school teams play in the same formation as the national team and thats what Barca did in the past

Neville Kneville said:
BayernMan said:

That means nothing at all, but I'll be happy enough if he signs a new deal there. Just don't want him going to a rival here.

Doesn't rule out City there though & would be a bit ridiculous if he said ' I think I'll fuck off after next season '.

Funny if he said "yes I'm finished here. I'm on my way to the airport now"

Ifwecouldjust....... said:
Didsbury Dave said:
I'm no cynic said:
That's a fair point and the whole concept [according to Txiki] is to build a 4-3-3 way of playing at all levels of the club, and if we get to achieve that then it will be easier to work our most promising kids through the system and into the first team and hopefully make the playing side of City self-sufficient without ever thinking of FFP again. But as we all know, the really great teams are built from the back first and then through the midfield before the icing on the cake up front. Their are plenty of Mourinho fans on these threads, and although he isn't my cup of tea, I have to accept that even with the fortune that his club has had to spend ever since the oligarch bought his club, the overwhelming success that Mourinho has brought has come from a willingness to dig in and battle for everything, and if it brings in a dozen consecutive dour 1-0 victories rather than a couple of 5-0 wins and a couple of defeats in that spell, Mourinho will always go for the wins first. Maybe Simeone would be of that same mindset.

Txiki's 'all levels 4-3-3' is one of the weirdest and most enduring myths of modern day Manchester City. Some junior coach speculated about two years ago and it got twisted into a little peice of tabloid gossip. But City fans still quote it as fact.

I think the fact that over that two years I've seen city teams in pretty much every formation but that one speaks volumes.

Nope thats the way the Dutch play .....even in school teams play in the same formation as the national team and thats what Barca did in the past

This isn't true at all, for the record.

Dave is right on all counts regarding the idea of a club formation as being ridiculous. And Barca didn't have one either as far as I'm aware.

Didsbury Dave said:
I'm no cynic said:
dannybcity said:
I'm by no means a frequent La Liga watcher but isn't Simeone tactically more of a 'build from the back' kind of manager? I'd be surprised if the powers that be appointed a defensively minded manager when Pellegrini was apparently appointed in order to get us playing a more attacking style of football.

I thought I'd seen it said somewhere that all the junior teams would play 433 as its's the best formation to learn the game and make the players adaptable for whatever formation the first team played. But the manager would choose the first team formation.

blueparrot said:
I thought I'd seen it said somewhere that all the junior teams would play 433 as its's the best formation to learn the game and make the players adaptable for whatever formation the first team played. But the manager would choose the first team formation.

It's an interesting discussion actually.

I've long said that formations don't even exist - they are a stupid way of describing what is essentially a fluid game and we need a better way to describe the general area that players operate in. One of my problems with modern football and the increasing use of science, is that it hasn't really adopted the scientific idea of having to label everything specifically and accurately. People interested in physics will know what I mean when I say this, but one of the issues in any complex situation with many variables is the ability to label variables accurately enough so that the mental model that they create in other people is somewhat true to life. Without that, we can't even communicate in the same language. My idea of what a 4-4-2 is is not the same as yours or Dave's or anybody else's; in fact when I say a 4-4-2 all I really mean is a team that plays with wingers and has a striker that drops deeper. You could call that a 4-2-3-1 and it would be perfectly accurate. This in my mind has been the biggest failing of the football media over the years, and I include things like Football Manager and FIFA too, they have created poor mental models which don't accurately reflect the game and nobody ever challenges them to be specific. Football has its own marketing-speak that everybody uses despite not really knowing that anything in it means.

With that disclaimer out of the way, our youth teams tend to switch through several different formations at different points of the game. Take Ambrose for example, in a single game he can play on the right, left or up top in a 3 man attack but in the next match he can be the lone striker with an attacking midfielder behind him, and he'll rotate into that role too. Our players at youth level tend to play various formations and in various positions as a way of keeping them moving and improving.

You have to remember too that many of our youth teams won't play a 4-3-3 formation because they aren't playing 11 a side games yet. The ones who do play 11 a side are the ones who use constantly fluid formations with constantly fluid positions.

Damocles said:
blueparrot said:

It's an interesting discussion actually.

I've long said that formations don't even exist - they are a stupid way of describing what is essentially a fluid game and we need a better way to describe the general area that players operate in. One of my problems with modern football and the increasing use of science, is that it hasn't really adopted the scientific idea of having to label everything specifically and accurately. People interested in physics will know what I mean when I say this, but one of the issues in any complex situation with many variables is the ability to label variables accurately enough so that the mental model that they create in other people is somewhat true to life. Without that, we can't even communicate in the same language. My idea of what a 4-4-2 is is not the same as yours or Dave's or anybody else's; in fact when I say a 4-4-2 all I really mean is a team that plays with wingers and has a striker that drops deeper. You could call that a 4-2-3-1 and it would be perfectly accurate. This in my mind has been the biggest failing of the football media over the years, and I include things like Football Manager and FIFA too, they have created poor mental models which don't accurately reflect the game and nobody ever challenges them to be specific. Football has its own marketing-speak that everybody uses despite not really knowing that anything in it means.

With that disclaimer out of the way, our youth teams tend to switch through several different formations at different points of the game. Take Ambrose for example, in a single game he can play on the right, left or up top in a 3 man attack but in the next match he can be the lone striker with an attacking midfielder behind him, and he'll rotate into that role too. Our players at youth level tend to play various formations and in various positions as a way of keeping them moving and improving.

You have to remember too that many of our youth teams won't play a 4-3-3 formation because they aren't playing 11 a side games yet. The ones who do play 11 a side are the ones who use constantly fluid formations with constantly fluid positions.

It's certainly true that teams that have players that can interchange and have a fluid formation, total football if you like, will be the most successful and best to watch. To play like that though the whole team has to buy into it and the academy players changing positions is a big part of that education.
Our cuurent first team though is a long way from that though with quite a few having set rigid positions Dzeko just for one obvious example, it's difficult to see how the first team can change to that fluid system without changing quite a few of the squad' it would take more than one window and do people have the patience to wait for the changes to take hold, including the manager.

MeatHunterrr said:
Guardiola is the best fit for City's structure (whole Club plays the same way with attacking brand of football, youth teams and first team) and can work without total control over everything etc. Simeone wouldn't fit that bill.

So I hope we get Guardiola in the summer of 2016, because I think he will see his contract out at Bayern and Pellegrini will do the same here.

Well you could always get him in another "four, five, or six years"

http://www.football-espana.net/48941/pep-rules-out-barca-return

BayernMan said:
MeatHunterrr said:
Guardiola is the best fit for City's structure (whole Club plays the same way with attacking brand of football, youth teams and first team) and can work without total control over everything etc. Simeone wouldn't fit that bill.

So I hope we get Guardiola in the summer of 2016, because I think he will see his contract out at Bayern and Pellegrini will do the same here.

Happy days, No Guardiola.

BayernMan said:
MeatHunterrr said:

Guardiola would be gone by the end of the season. There's a lot of power struggle at Bayern Munich. The old germans want to force their ideology on Pep and that wouldn't work. I have this strange feeling that some of the power brokers at Bayern want Pep to fail, kind of like when Valdano and the rest of them at RM wanted Maureen to fail. Retaining the BuLi title wouldn't be enough to save Pep's job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.