Pep's contract situation

How far we have come, that was the lowest point for me, even dropping into the 3rd division was nothing compared to having that fucker running our club.

That whole period between Brian Horton and Joe Royle was so chaotic and disordered it’s very difficult to recall it with crystal clarity today. But you’re right - even in amongst all that nauseating mayhem and lurching catastrophe, Phil Neal felt like a new low for our Club.

It’s fucking bizarre to look back on that time from the vantage point of the exceptionally professional, well run operation we are today.

The starkness of the contrast is frankly dizzying!

It really is amazing how far we’ve come: we’re now complacent about one of the best managers in the history of the game saying he “loves everything, everyone, is super grateful, thinks all the players are quality

If he didn't love everything, everyone, wasn't gateful and thought a few of the players were a bit shit, do you think he'd say so?

That's what @Damocles means by a nothing interview (I presume).

It's the stuff any generic manager would say about any generic club they were at.

Which is fine, but it's not really worth getting excited over IMO. Not a criticism of Rob Pollard, who probably had very little time and a very structured set of questions to ask.

Personally I'd love to see the club organise something where Pep actually talks about tactics. We have a manager who admites in Perarnau's book he's so obsessed with football tactics that he can't keep anything else in his attention for more than 30 minutes and the club have done nothing to share that with the fans really. Every month or so one of the journalists thinks of a good question and he goes on a 10 minute monologue about something minute, which gives a fascinating insight into the way his mind works and just how high above the standard level of coaching he's operating at.

There's a great video out there from his time at Bayern (in German unfortunately) where he went to a supporters club and they put a whiteboard next to him with 22 magnets and he got very into explaining tactical stuff to the fans who asked questions.

Or imagine a round table with him and Vinny, or Vieira, or even Brian Kidd - someone who can ask him detailed in-depth tactical questions. He's been here for 6 years now and 3 iterations of his team so there's so much there to be tapped.

How far we have come, that was the lowest point for me, even dropping into the 3rd division was nothing compared to having that fucker running our club.

Strange. I remember his appointment being poorly received but him coming across pretty well during his stint, to the point he changed the fans perceptions of him.

If he didn't love everything, everyone, wasn't gateful and thought a few of the players were a bit shit, do you think he'd say so?

That's what @Damocles means by a nothing interview (I presume).

It's the stuff any generic manager would say about any generic club they were at.

Which is fine, but it's not really worth getting excited over IMO. Not a criticism of Rob Pollard, who probably had very little time and a very structured set of questions to ask.

Personally I'd love to see the club organise something where Pep actually talks about tactics. We have a manager who admites in Perarnau's book he's so obsessed with football tactics that he can't keep anything else in his attention for more than 30 minutes and the club have done nothing to share that with the fans really. Every month or so one of the journalists thinks of a good question and he goes on a 10 minute monologue about something minute, which gives a fascinating insight into the way his mind works and just how high above the standard level of coaching he's operating at.

There's a great video out there from his time at Bayern (in German unfortunately) where he went to a supporters club and they put a whiteboard next to him with 22 magnets and he got very into explaining tactical stuff to the fans who asked questions.

Or imagine a round table with him and Vinny, or Vieira, or even Brian Kidd - someone who can ask him detailed in-depth tactical questions. He's been here for 6 years now and 3 iterations of his team so there's so much there to be tapped.
No, I don’t think he would. Nor do I think it Is something to “get excited over”.

But I also think calling it a “nothing” interview is demonstrative of the way fan expectations have changed drastically over the past 15 years or so.

And I thought he has done some tactics reviews, not including what was included in the All or Nothing season?

I have indeed enjoyed them and would love to see more, but I do not *expect* more and explaining tactics, whilst he is here, is a double-edged sword and probably something he (and the club) are less comfortable to share for very obvious reasons.

Anything new they would be comfortable to share would likely be derided on here as “nothing” insights, anyway.

I have noticed that some of our fans now want to have our cake and eat it, too, in many ways when it comes to the club. Not most, but some. Unfortunately, they tend to be the most vocal and, at times, belligerent.

No, I don’t think he would. Nor do I think it Is something to “get excited over”.

But I also think calling it a “nothing” interview is demonstrative of the way fan expectations have changed drastically over the past 15 years or so.

And I thought he has done some tactics reviews, not including what was included in the All or Nothing season?

I have indeed enjoyed them and would love to see more, but I do not *expect* more and explaining tactics, whilst he is here, is a double-edged sword and probably something he (and the club) are less comfortable to share for very obvious reasons.

Anything new they would be comfortable to share would likely be derided on here as “nothing” insights, anyway.

I have noticed that some of our fans now want to have our cake and eat it, too, in many ways when it comes to the club. Not most, but some. Unfortunately, they tend to be the most vocal and, at times, belligerent.
Whenever the interview drifted towards tactics Pep seemed keen to dismiss it and prefer to talk about his players. There were opportunities to talk tactics if he’d wanted to. Seemed he didn’t.

It really is amazing how far we’ve come: we’re now complacent about one of the best managers in the history of the game saying he “loves everything, everyone, is super grateful, thinks all the players are quality” at our club and are complaining about the interview being overly edited (as opposed to the amateur stuff we occasionally got in the old days).

Next we’ll be moaning about Kev only winning a single CL before he hangs up his boots.

I am with you, @Damocles — bring back the glory days of the 1990s and 2000s!

What an odd bloke

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.