Pep's contract situation

I may be wrong, but I imagine it's actually connected with the theme of this thread, that Pep is planning on building a team, so rather than going for a short term fix which might not work, ala Bony etc, he's willing to wait & try to get the players he wants for the future.
Think it's almost certainly that. He will know his targets and with so many out of contract this summer it's an Ideal opportunity to bring them in, without worrying about the squad being clogged up with players passed their best, or stopgaps bought this month.

I may be wrong, but I imagine it's actually connected with the theme of this thread, that Pep is planning on building a team, so rather than going for a short term fix which might not work, ala Bony etc, he's willing to wait & try to get the players he wants for the future.

I don't think it needs to be one or the other though. I expect this summers targets are already known, and if they can be brought in now, whether it's to have an immediate impact or even just so they hit the ground running in August, I think they'd go for them in January.

Like you said what they won't do is go for someone they don't want long term purely to patch things right now.

There's definitely a long term team being built though, that's definite.

We've already got Stones, Sterling, Sané, Iheanacho & Jesus all 22 or under. Maffeo, Tosin and Aleix all have good chances of being properly involved next season, maybe even Gunn as a cup keeper. There's Unal, Moreno, Roberts, Zinchenko on loan - Celina is doing very well too - so any of those might be brought in over the summer, and I expect our summer targets will be roughly u23.

Genuinely wouldn't surprise me if over 50% of the squad was 23 or under next season. Having said that - I'd expect us to be doing that even if Pep was only here 3 years. The way to maximise his effect on the club long term is for him to leave behind a core group who have been shaped by him to carry on what he taught them when he leaves, whether that's in 3 years or 10.

Last edited:
Great news! Gonna be exciting watching him over the next few years. The players he's brought in already surely will provide top quality football under his guidance.

I thought Fonte may have been a decent stop gap to partner Stones. Am surprised we didn't go for him.
Stopgaps aren't what we want,hence why we will most probably wait until the right opportunities present themselves in the summer.

Anyway,this isnt the transfer forum,so back on topic please....:-)

I do actually remember reading in the months up to the start of the season that he loves signing young players as they are much more receptive and soak in a lot more information.

When you look at young players he's signed/brought into the 1st team in his career you can see why, Dani Alves, Busquets, Pique, Pedro, Kimmich and Coman to name a few.

Add that to Stones, Sterling, Sané and Jesus here and you can see the trend.

My heart goes out to this guy:

It just won't do, says Chris Bascombe of the Daily Telegraph. "The three Premier League broadcasters should give serious consideration to registering a formal complaint to the Premier League and LMA, given how ill-mannered some managers have become.

"They have not paid all that cash to have their employees insulted by those who consider media duties beneath them.

for anyone that wants to give this more views than its worth (i already feel dirty having read it):

http://www.theweek.co.uk/manchester-city/80128/ill-mannered-pep-guardiola-clashes-with-bbc-again

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.