Pep's contract situation

he clearly hopes he does well so he can stay - same thing

Previously it was I HAVE to do well so i can stay

There is a sublte but very important difference

He does love Barca (the fans, staff players etc) - BUT the politics that the club have been involved in has clearly upset him.....and that again is a big shift.....especially when you consider how he backed the board/directors at city over the FFP and then the result as well - a marked difference in how the two clubs/board approach things and its possible that Pep has seen a difference and noted it.....
I have no doubt at some point that he will return to Barca at some point (Its his home) but make no mistake about it......he managed you for 3 yrs and then walked - he has already been here longer and is looking at the possibility of extending that to way beyond what he did as first team manager with Barca. That in itself should tell you that he also has a very close affinity to us.

I love Manchester, Im from there and grew up there BUT I will never go back there - not to work, not to live so anything is possible.

Plus if I was a multi millionaire Id never go back to anywhere once Id finished - Id jut keep on moving looking for other opportunities and seeing what more I can achieve.....the old adage " never go back"
I thought he had said he would not go back to coach first team but would like to be involved with the club in another capacity, eg academy coach? (perhaps after coaching a national team).

he clearly hopes he does well so he can stay - same thing

I don't agree, it's not the same thing and why I precisely pointed out Pep is careful with his wording - even in English

He does love Barca (the fans, staff players etc) - BUT the politics that the club have been involved in has clearly upset him.....and that again is a big shift.....especially when you consider how he backed the board/directors at city over the FFP and then the result as well - a marked difference in how the two clubs/board approach things and its possible that Pep has seen a difference and noted it.....
I have no doubt at some point that he will return to Barca at some point (Its his home) but make no mistake about it......he managed you for 3 yrs and then walked - he has already been here longer and is looking at the possibility of extending that to way beyond what he did as first team manager with Barca. That in itself should tell you that he also has a very close affinity to us.

I love Manchester, Im from there and grew up there BUT I will never go back there - not to work, not to live so anything is possible.

Plus if I was a multi millionaire Id never go back to anywhere once Id finished - Id jut keep on moving looking for other opportunities and seeing what more I can achieve.....the old adage " never go back"

The entorno of Barca is not new and Pep has been familiar with it his entire life, it's also the reason why he has only recently said he sees himself ending up to teach youth at Barca eventually

Never go back to the 1st team as coach and I have never suggested otherwise, but not the same thing as not returning to the club he loves & supports

He'll obviously go back to Barcelona one day but that'll be semi retirement & training the kids.
He's a young man, he'll want to achieve more things in football before going back to Barcelona, just depends if it's here at City or another league

Imho, there is no way he is saying something like that to cover his bases or deflect media questions, without having told the club the same. It would be disingenuous, and the club would find it disappointing im sure, seeing those answers if they weren't told the same. And if he Has told them the same, he means it then, as i doubt he wouldn't be open with the club.
Oh yeah the club will know what he is thinking

Yep it was in December but it only happened once the City rumours ramped up and Bayern insisted on the extension as they could read the writing on the wall. I would say the circumstances & parties involved make it different

Pep likes to avoid contract talk publicly and chooses his words carefully - it's also why I interpret what he said as not being a flat denial about a Barca return much less a confirmation he intends to renew/extend with City. Important to recognize as well that Font did not suggest Pep would be recruited as a 1st team coach

He simply doesn't like to give rumours oxygen to persist, this will quiet that for the foreseeable future. IF he renews, it wouldn't happen until after January IMHO as he will not want to fuel concerns about continuity going into the final months of the season

The message to the public came in December. Probably the media was bombarding Bayern and Pep with questions in every press conference and every pundit, every ex-player, every player etc. was asked about it - in the same way they do it with about everything (like all the transfers).

But Pep must have told that he quits in summer already some months before that date, latest end of September - and the deal with Ancelotti already was made in a five-minute-talk between Ancelotti and Rummenigge in October.

Managers and clubs do not really like to announce manager changes so early as it can often happen that the old coach then gets a lame duck. It did not happen with Jupp at Munich - and did not happen with Pep.

But at that time in December were so many rumours around that waiting with the announcement would not have been good either.

About Pep - do you know that video with a fan club from December 1st 2015 - it has English subtitles

Last edited:
He'll obviously go back to Barcelona one day but that'll be semi retirement & training the kids.
He's a young man, he'll want to achieve more things in football before going back to Barcelona, just depends if it's here at City or another league
Can't see a manager like Pep ever becoming a youth coach! More likely to be at Director of football level imo

I don't agree, it's not the same thing and why I precisely pointed out Pep is careful with his wording - even in English

The entorno of Barca is not new and Pep has been familiar with it his entire life, it's also the reason why he has only recently said he sees himself ending up to teach youth at Barca eventually

Never go back to the 1st team as coach and I have never suggested otherwise, but not the same thing as not returning to the club he loves & supports
Do you thikn that Pep would be satisfied just caochingt he youth team...i think he has plenty more challenges left before he goes there....several other leagues he may want to coach in before that for starts (Italy, America?) - international maangement as well could be something he wants to do.....

In my opinion his change of emphasis on what he has been saying prior to this - ie he has to do well to stay to now say he hopes he does well so he can stay is a marked difference and liek you say - he chooess his words carefully and that hange is deliberate therefore

We are a wonderful match for Pep.
He get us Mancunians.
His family were there when we were terrorised - he gets it.

He has the best job in world football.
See you soon Leo.

” The past was yours , but the futures mine ....”

google it and weep.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.