Pep's tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate, I genuinely expected you to hold your hands up there and say 'shit, forgot about him'...

I've been talking about variations since Pep was announced and you're rIght, although his spine invariably stays the same, I think the same will apply here...

It's ok, I get the silva love but if people find the Joe hart thread hard to comprehend, wait till the little man gets bumped (:
I'm saving all my anger up for that.. :-)

The more I see and read about Pep I am adamant he is a fan of the NFL. His attacking tactics remind me exactly of all the different situations an offensive co-ordinater would do to try to create space, numerical advantages and mis-matches. What you describe is like when in the NFL they put three wide receivers on the field instead of the usual two to try to create one on one situations for the WR's or to create space elsewhere for another player in a different position to take advantage.

That's just one situation, there are countless others that are very similar. I don't suppose Pep has ever mentioned American Football in any of his books?
Seems to talk about Basketball a lot, I've not heard him mention NFL

Mate, I genuinely expected you to hold your hands up there and say 'shit, forgot about him'...

I've been talking about variations since Pep was announced and you're rIght, although his spine invariably stays the same, I think the same will apply here...

It's ok, I get the silva love but if people find the Joe hart thread hard to comprehend, wait till the little man gets bumped (:

Forgot about who? Gundogan? I'm pretty sure he's still not fit so not available to play?!

If you look back at my post earlier today I actually said when Gundogan is fit I can see him playing as the pivot and Fernandinho replacing Sagna as a right back dropping in to midfield. He'd be superb in that position and looking at our performance on Saturday, Sagna was the player who looked most unsuited to his role (other than Caballero!).

Oh, and regarding bumped, I can't even comprehend what is going to happen if De Bruyne gets bumped. You and the rest of the fan club are going to have to decide who you fancy more out of Kev and Pep! It's going to be a real 1D Vs Biebs moment! :-)

pretty sure he went and studied over there after he left Barca.
he def.went to New York for what was described as a break after barca, but there would have been ample time for study( of the NFL) if indeed that is where he gets his inspiration from

Forgot about who? Gundogan? I'm pretty sure he's still not fit so not available to play?!

If you look back at my post earlier today I actually said when Gundogan is fit I can see him playing as the pivot and Fernandinho replacing Sagna as a right back dropping in to midfield. He'd be superb in that position and looking at our performance on Saturday, Sagna was the player who looked most unsuited to his role (other than Caballero!).

Oh, and regarding bumped, I can't even comprehend what is going to happen if De Bruyne gets bumped. You and the rest of the fan club are going to have to decide who you fancy more out of Kev and Pep! It's going to be a real 1D Vs Biebs moment! :-)

I Didnt realise kompany and sane were fit?? I thought you were putting forward a prospective team?

Mate, you're being silly now, KDB is peps signing (:

Couple of very interesting responses to my question about NFL, i.e. he has spent a lot of time in America and he is influenced by basketball. Obviously not a direct link to NFL but still there is enough there. It would take me hours to actually write down what I am thinking but I'd be interested to hear if any other NFL fans can see a correlation.

The more I see and read about Pep I am adamant he is a fan of the NFL. His attacking tactics remind me exactly of all the different situations an offensive co-ordinater would do to try to create space, numerical advantages and mis-matches. What you describe is like when in the NFL they put three wide receivers on the field instead of the usual two to try to create one on one situations for the WR's or to create space elsewhere for another player in a different position to take advantage.

That's just one situation, there are countless others that are very similar. I don't suppose Pep has ever mentioned American Football in any of his books?

The gospel in coaching stems from vince Lombardi, I'd be amazed if he isn't well versed, regardless of talking about it or not, you can see the many variations in tactics originates in other sports... Phil Jackson talks about the applied methods for the Bulls team of the 80/90s, applying Lombardi methods to the NBA, I'd say it's a fair assumption that most top coaches use his methods!!!

I Didnt realise kompany and sane were fit?? I thought you were putting forward a prospective team?

And Silva is Pep's chosen captain.:) I don't see why we can't have all three together for some truly beautiful football.

Btw, there is a pretty great article on FFT about Pep's management style and tactics. It was recced in City Now today. Don't know whether it has been posted but it's a good read. Helped me see the tactics against Sunderland better. All those passes and movements were meticulously planned and not overly reliant on player instincts. The part on different playing zones are particularly enlightening imo.
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features...anagement-and-tactics?page=0,3&utm_m_medium=t

And Silva is Pep's chosen captain.:) I don't see why we can't have all three together for some truly beautiful football.

Btw, there is a pretty great article on FFT about Pep's management style and tactics. It was recced in City Now today. Don't know whether it has been posted but it's a good read. Helped me see the tactics against Sunderland better. All those passes and movements were meticulously planned and not overly reliant on player instincts. The part on different playing zones are particularly enlightening imo.
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/long-read-guardiolas-16-point-blueprint-dominance-his-methods-management-and-tactics?page=0,3&utm_m_medium=t

Thanks for the link mate, will have a gander... I'm just pulling a few chains, of course the 3 will play together, I just believe there's more productivity with certain players than others....

Yes, a perspective team.

Not the definitive team that is going to start every game.

It's a rather antiquated idea - what's your best team? Well, who are we playing, who's available, who's in form, have we got another game in mid-week?

We aren't going to play the same team every week, so if Gundogan or De Bruyne are left out for certain games, there really is no need to get upset.

For the record, when fit I assume Gundogan will be a very important player for us, one of the first names on the team sheet. If we were to play the exact same system as we did on Saturday, and every player was fit, my team would be:

................................GK
.....................Stones.......Kompany
Fernandinho.......................................Clichy
...........................Gundogan
..........De Bruyne........................Silva
Sterling..............................................Sane
............................Aguero

Delph could even get a run ahead of Clichy, who knows. But all of your favourites are included in this team, so there is no cause for alarm.

My post earlier was more to illustrate the shape I'd expect us to line up against a 4231 team rather than my personal preferred 11. But then if you've read the post you'll know that already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.