Pep's tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of very interesting responses to my question about NFL, i.e. he has spent a lot of time in America and he is influenced by basketball. Obviously not a direct link to NFL but still there is enough there. It would take me hours to actually write down what I am thinking but I'd be interested to hear if any other NFL fans can see a correlation.

I'm a retired football coach and had a short stint in college football. Pep's system does remind me of option football.

The gospel in coaching stems from vince Lombardi, I'd be amazed if he isn't well versed, regardless of talking about it or not, you can see the many variations in tactics originates in other sports... Phil Jackson talks about the applied methods for the Bulls team of the 80/90s, applying Lombardi methods to the NBA, I'd say it's a fair assumption that most top coaches use his methods!!!

I know that Lombardi is revered around the world for his motivational skills, for being a perfectionist and expecting nothing but the best from his players. He was also quite brutal when he wanted something, see Pep v Hart. I don't really know how his tactics on the field worked for Lombardi and the Packers but it's obvious that Pep has a lot of similarities to him as a coach.

I'm a retired football coach and had a short stint in college football. Pep's system does remind me of option football.

Exactly this! Where I have seen it was watching Ken Whisenhunt be the offensive coordinator for the Chargers a couple of years ago (I'm sure there are better examples out there but this is what my experience is). Controlling the clock and winning time of possession through constant short gains is the same principal as controlling the ball and possession in football. Both are intended to stop the opposition from scoring by having control of the football and the thing that I keep coming back to creating mis-matches and numerical advantages as the defence has to play for one thing when there are numerous attacking options available. Basically making it impossible for the defence to be able to stop everything.

I know that Lombardi is revered around the world for his motivational skills, for being a perfectionist and expecting nothing but the best from his players. He was also quite brutal when he wanted something, see Pep v Hart. I don't really know how his tactics on the field worked for Lombardi and the Packers but it's obvious that Pep has a lot of similarities to him as a coach.
If you haven't already you should try and look up the two part special "A football life" about Lombardi. @TCIB may be able to help.

If we are talking other sports, it's also motion offense in basketball terms. Clock control, coordinate movement based off of ball location, pass pass pass pass pass until you get the sure thing, then take it.

Even taking tactics out of it for a second, Pep has a very American mindset about how a team should behave. He really reminds me of Alabama coach Nick Saban in this regard.

Yes, a perspective team.

Not the definitive team that is going to start every game.

It's a rather antiquated idea - what's your best team? Well, who are we playing, who's available, who's in form, have we got another game in mid-week?

We aren't going to play the same team every week, so if Gundogan or De Bruyne are left out for certain games, there really is no need to get upset.

For the record, when fit I assume Gundogan will be a very important player for us, one of the first names on the team sheet. If we were to play the exact same system as we did on Saturday, and every player was fit, my team would be:

................................GK
.....................Stones.......Kompany
Fernandinho.......................................Clichy
...........................Gundogan
..........De Bruyne........................Silva
Sterling..............................................Sane
............................Aguero

Delph could even get a run ahead of Clichy, who knows. But all of your favourites are included in this team, so there is no cause for alarm.

My post earlier was more to illustrate the shape I'd expect us to line up against a 4231 team rather than my personal preferred 11. But then if you've read the post you'll know that already.

Mate, you seem far too sensitive on this, it's ok to admit an error of Judgment..

I'd say you invariably know your football so being worlds apart on fanboy status, isn't going to mess with my sleep, however, a little presumptuous stating who my 'favs' are when you've done the same with your preferred line up, not necessarily players!!

Forgot about who? Gundogan? I'm pretty sure he's still not fit so not available to play?!

If you look back at my post earlier today I actually said when Gundogan is fit I can see him playing as the pivot and Fernandinho replacing Sagna as a right back dropping in to midfield. He'd be superb in that position and looking at our performance on Saturday, Sagna was the player who looked most unsuited to his role (other than Caballero!).

Oh, and regarding bumped, I can't even comprehend what is going to happen if De Bruyne gets bumped. You and the rest of the fan club are going to have to decide who you fancy more out of Kev and Pep! It's going to be a real 1D Vs Biebs moment! :-)
Pep bought KDB so I can't see that happening bud.

Couple of very interesting responses to my question about NFL, i.e. he has spent a lot of time in America and he is influenced by basketball. Obviously not a direct link to NFL but still there is enough there. It would take me hours to actually write down what I am thinking but I'd be interested to hear if any other NFL fans can see a correlation.
I could have sworn I read something about him studying NFL when he went over but google has failed me.
I may have dreamt it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.