Pep's tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not convinced starting with one 'solid' mid plus DS & KDB is safe v the better teams but we have several players who can stiffen that up if Pep thinks the same. And if I was totally wrong & we win 6 zero it wouldn't surprise me. But imo putting in an extra solid cm won't lose us that much in attack with 3 attackers & a whole passing team around them.

It's his first season anyhow so he is unlikely to know for sure himself until he tries it either way.

I'm not so sure mate. He stuck to Xavi and Iniesta with one behind them for his entire career at Barca in all the big games, including two CL finals against a Fergurson - led Shite. He didn't feel the need for an extra solid cm in those games.

I completely understand that PL is more physical, but looking at the very early signs it seems clear that his MO at City is to to keep the ball no matter what. Starving the opposition of the ball is his favourite form of defence, as opposed to bringing in solid players who can tackle.

The first two games David Silva's performances have reminded me very much of Xavi during Guardiola's reign. He's used his intelligence to find space to get on the ball as much as possible and knit the team together. His technique and vision is so good that by the time someone comes to close him down he's already passed it and is on the move again to receive the next one.

De Bruyne has had a bit of a quieter start to the season, but the second half against Steaua he was outstanding. He was creating chance after chance and the more the game opened up, the more dangerous he looked. As the season goes on if these two are kept together in the roles they are playing now, perhaps we won't need an extra solid cm, because these two are going to dominate possession, run games and create so many chances that we won't need an extra man to win it back because we will dominate the ball so much.

Will be interesting to see what pep does if someone tries it against us
I not worry other team copy and use against us. It is kind of suicidal using this formation without superior players. This system work well when superior team play with parking bus team. Pep develop it from his experience of facing underdog team as he always facing in his entire career. I even believe if Pep managed middle table team, he will not use it.

It didn't mean it like that. Less gifted would be your Clichy/Sagna. Less creative would be Fernandinho. Not saying Fernandinho isn't creative. Just less creative than Silva/De Bruyne.

Someone like Alonso would come under more disaplined. I think Gundogan will be like a hybrid of Busquests and Alonso. Great passing range yet dynamic.

Alonso in some of the big games against powerful sides Alonso was a liability. Madrid a couple of times, Juve. Even us to an extent.

To stick with NFL I think Pep sees Gundogan as more of a Cam Newton than a older Brett Farve.

From what I've seen, I think Pep sees the Prem as a different animal to Spain or Germany. Using a combination of both Bayern and Barca to create a Prem hardy side.

At Barcelona, he used over lapping full backs and central creativity/play dictation. He often defended with just three. This would be murdered in the Prem.
At Bayern, he used inverted full backs. Two solid centre mids a floating Muller, a traditional striker and quick wingers offering wingers.

At City, it looks like he'll utilise the inverted full backs with one holding/QB type player centrally to offer stability. A creative two in front. Wide pace and directness and a striker.

If you lined up his previous two sides in our formation as it looks. . (No Messi as he's non comparable).

............GK..........
...Pique..Boateng...
Lahm.............Alaba
..........Vidal.........
...Xavi.....Inesta.....
Costa..............Robben
.....Lewondowski

...............GK........
.........Stones..VK.........
Fernandinho........Clichy
...........Gundogan.......
.......Silva.....De Bruyne
Sterling..................Sane
....... Sergio
YAll are going to confuse a lot of our brothers and sisters across the pond with all these NFL talk. :)

I'm not convinced starting with one 'solid' mid plus DS & KDB is safe v the better teams but we have several players who can stiffen that up if Pep thinks the same. And if I was totally wrong & we win 6 zero it wouldn't surprise me. But imo putting in an extra solid cm won't lose us that much in attack with 3 attackers & a whole passing team around them.

It's his first season anyhow so he is unlikely to know for sure himself until he tries it either way.

It's not so much about attack as it is possession. I think you'll see very few instances of us sticking in an extra defensive player to shore us up because it makes different parts of our game more difficult.

I was gobsmacked. It's normally a decent listen.

All they could say is Sagna is no Lamn

One thing I have noticed is that when the English press ask him questions at press conferences or in interviews they seem very sheepish around him. It's nice to know how stupid he makes them feel.

I'm not so sure mate. He stuck to Xavi and Iniesta with one behind them for his entire career at Barca in all the big games, including two CL finals against a Fergurson - led Shite. He didn't feel the need for an extra solid cm in those games.

I completely understand that PL is more physical, but looking at the very early signs it seems clear that his MO at City is to to keep the ball no matter what. Starving the opposition of the ball is his favourite form of defence, as opposed to bringing in solid players who can tackle.

The first two games David Silva's performances have reminded me very much of Xavi during Guardiola's reign. He's used his intelligence to find space to get on the ball as much as possible and knit the team together. His technique and vision is so good that by the time someone comes to close him down he's already passed it and is on the move again to receive the next one.

De Bruyne has had a bit of a quieter start to the season, but the second half against Steaua he was outstanding. He was creating chance after chance and the more the game opened up, the more dangerous he looked. As the season goes on if these two are kept together in the roles they are playing now, perhaps we won't need an extra solid cm, because these two are going to dominate possession, run games and create so many chances that we won't need an extra man to win it back because we will dominate the ball so much.

Don't forget Messi though.

But yeah I get that & imo Silva has also worked much harder than in his previous City career. But then again, it's all relative, because he rarely has to run 60 yards, as opposed to 10 or 15.

But also, as you say, it is the Prem & also, everyone in europe has been working for some time on figuring out ways to turn over Pep, & sometimes they succeed spectacularly. Some of those kind of managers are here now.

I'm just yet to be convinced that the way we are set up now, in centre mid, is the right one vs the better teams. But I would actually prefer it, if it was, & would be totally happy to take the occasional hiding if we found it wasn't. Whilst we suss it I'm 100% convinced he will do what works in the end, whether that's Fern, KDB & Silva, or Kompany Fernando & Stones or Joe Hart in midfield.

He'll fix it.

My own feeling is we'll see Fern & Gundogan, but I'm guessing like fuck & so are our opponents ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.