Pep's tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder which PL manager will be first to copy his inverted fullback tactic
The Guardian podcast 'The Game' was interesting. They decided he's doing it just to show that he likes to come up with new tactics and show off.

Couldn't believe my fucking ears.

Im no tactical expert and im as excited as anyone about Pep and his tactics and what our future could well be etc........ but arent we going to be a little bit susceptible to the counter attack and with balls out wide if both our fullbacks are in midfield areas?

Im no tactical expert and im as excited as anyone about Pep and his tactics and what our future could well be etc........ but arent we going to be a little bit susceptible to the counter attack and with balls out wide if both our fullbacks are in midfield areas?
No the wingers pin back their fullbacks and centre backs can go wide with Fernandinho dropping into the middle.

I saw some mention earlier this summer by one poster suggesting we could see Fernandhino and Delph as full backs. Took no notice at the time but with inverted fullbacks can see this absolutely working.

I was one of a few posters saying we could see those two as full backs. I also suggested we could go 3 at the back as this would be the best way to get Silva and De Bruyne both in their favoured central position at the same time.

But it was all speculative, I never dreamed he would have come up with such a fluid system in only two games. We're essentially playing 2 different systems in the same game! On Saturday it was like a traditional 433 when out of possession and a 1950s style WM when in possession. On Tuesday, Kolarov overlapped a lot more than the other full backs, while Zabaleta was tucking inside.

The genius of this style of play is that it gets our two most talented players - Silva and De Bruyne on the pitch at the same time, but it also addresses the biggest weakness of playing them together - being vulnerable to counters through the middle.

The thing that's so impressive is that he has analysed Sunderland and realised there was no major threat from wide, so sured us up in the middle. Steau's biggest threat was their right winger who loves to bomb forward, so Guardiola's answer was to have Kolarov piling forward exploiting the space that had been left. Against Stoke with Shaquiri being one of their best players, I assume we'll see something different again. We're so lucky to have this guy, he is from a different planet tactically.

I was one of a few posters saying we could see those two as full backs. I also suggested we could go 3 at the back as this would be the best way to get Silva and De Bruyne both in their favoured central position at the same time.

But it was all speculative, I never dreamed he would have come up with such a fluid system in only two games. We're essentially playing 2 different systems in the same game! On Saturday it was like a traditional 433 when out of possession and a 1950s style WM when in possession. On Tuesday, Kolarov overlapped a lot more than the other full backs, while Zabaleta was tucking inside.

The genius of this style of play is that it gets our two most talented players - Silva and De Bruyne on the pitch at the same time, but it also addresses the biggest weakness of playing them together - being vulnerable to counters through the middle.

The thing that's so impressive is that he has analysed Sunderland and realised there was no major threat from wide, so sured us up in the middle. Steau's biggest threat was their right winger who loves to bomb forward, so Guardiola's answer was to have Kolarov piling forward exploiting the space that had been left. Against Stoke with Shaquiri being one of their best players, I assume we'll see something different again. We're so lucky to have this guy, he is from a different planet tactically.
I t gets DeBruyne and Silva on the pitch together at the moment, it will be interesting to see what happens when Gundogon is fit though, unless he replaces Fernandinho and we Fernandiho shifted to right back. Not easy predicting Pep though.

The Guardian podcast 'The Game' was interesting. They decided he's doing it just to show that he likes to come up with new tactics and show off.

Couldn't believe my fucking ears.

How can anyone seriously say anything like that about Guardiola ?

It's fucking frightening the kind of imbiciles get airplay in the football world.

I relish what he is planning for utd!

I t gets DeBruyne and Silva on the pitch together at the moment, it will be interesting to see what happens when Gundogon is fit though, unless he replaces Fernandinho and we Fernandiho shifted to right back. Not easy predicting Pep though.

Well if we were playing Sunderland at home and every single player in the squad was available, I'd assume it would be the exact same team but Fernandinho replaces Sagna and Gundogan goes in to the holding role.

Every game will be different, I don't expect us to have a recognised "first 11" that will play every game. I think there will be changes all over the pitch, bit I think Gundogan, Fernandinho, Silva and De Bruyne all have huge roles to play for us, although all 4 might not start every game.

Well if we were playing Sunderland at home and every single player in the squad was available, I'd assume it would be the exact same team but Fernandinho replaces Sagna and Gundogan goes in to the holding role.

Every game will be different, I don't expect us to have a recognised "first 11" that will play every game. I think there will be changes all over the pitch, bit I think Gundogan, Fernandinho, Silva and De Bruyne all have huge roles to play for us, although all 4 might not start every game.

I'm not convinced starting with one 'solid' mid plus DS & KDB is safe v the better teams but we have several players who can stiffen that up if Pep thinks the same. And if I was totally wrong & we win 6 zero it wouldn't surprise me. But imo putting in an extra solid cm won't lose us that much in attack with 3 attackers & a whole passing team around them.

It's his first season anyhow so he is unlikely to know for sure himself until he tries it either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.