Peps Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.
What we need is a system and Manager to show the world class players we have, how to understand it, if they fail then replace them, obviously we can't depend on Kompany for more than 10-15 games per season, and aged players need to be replaced i.e. fullbacks Yaya and so on as time go's by but I can't trust what we have seen this season with this manager in charge the squad look clueless, at times even Kun looks like a headless chicken.

Whoever our next manager brings in we need to mindful of the age of the majority of the players we have at present. We certainly need to bring in some young talent whether through the ranks our transfers. One of my biggest concerns is that we will hold on to too many of the senior players because of who they are rather than how they are performing. Yaya probably proving that to be the case so far this season.

Pogba & Stones spring to mind. Byram who came on for West Ham at the weekend looked like a star in the making, shame they have only just bought him.

You have to think why would Neymar leave barca? Bale at 26 is still a good age, but I don't think he is a world superstar of the same kind as Ronaldo, Messi or what Neymar should become. Pogba for me is more of a world football icon

I think a superstar signing will be the order of the day, to dovetail with Guardiola's tenure.

I would like to see a universally accepted profile.

Perhaps a Neymar or Bale.

Ferran's book, entitled 'Goal: The Ball Doesn't Go In By Chance', talks about the signing of Ronaldinho. It makes clear that he considers superstar signings to be a key to expanding global popularity, though it has to be a player who can justify a place in the team (as opposed to someone who's past it but still a huge name, presumably). For this reason, it's always been clear that we'd go for Messi in a heartbeat if he were ever on the market.

Aguero is currently the closest we have to a marquee player, I guess, but seems to be criminally underrated outside East Manchester (there's an MEN piece today, I see, making exactly this point). However, I'm sure that they'd fancy a superstar acquisition this summer to build on the boost to our profile that the arrival of Guardiola will already bring. I think if Neymar were available, we'd definitely be pulling out all the stops but I'm not sure he'd leave Barca.

I'm not sure either Bale or Neymar would be attainable. Would Pogba be classed as marquee signing?

Last edited:
I'm not sure either Bale or Neymar would be attainable. Would Pogba be classed as marquee signing?

Me neither, mate, although that hasn't stopped their respective camps listening to big-money offers.

I would wager Neymar will get exactly what he is leveraging for out of his current club.

Bale, again, it might come down to the Madrid transfer ban.

It's always subjective, but I would consider Pogba a marquee signing but the next tier down.

The upside being, under Pep, nobody would be able to doubt Pogba's footballing credentials over the next few years?

I suspect one of the things which has convinced Pep is using our cash, allied to his knowledge, knowing who the next superstars are likely to be.

Hence the links also to Sane, Weigl and Stones.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to think why would Neymar leave barca? Bale at 26 is still a good age, but I don't think he is a world superstar of the same kind as Ronaldo, Messi or what Neymar should become. Pogba for me is more of a world football icon

I don't think that Barcelona front 3 will survive next season.

Neymar has really played up to Messi being the best and never misses an opportunity to praise him in public, but as Messi heads towards 30 and Neymar keeps getting better, there will be a point where Neymar wants to be recognised as the best and Messi isn't ready to let that go.

At that point one will leave, and Neymar seems most likely. Not to mention the massive tax case against him and investigating his transfer might get messy. Not saying I think he'll go to us, but he'll go somewhere.

Me neither, mate, although that hasn't stopped their respective camps listening to big-money offers.

I would wager Neymar will get exactly what he is leveraging for out of his current club.

It's always subjective, but I would consider Pogba a marquee signing but the next tier down.

The upside being, under Pep, nobody would be able to doubt Pogba's footballing credentials over the next few years?

I suspect one of the things which has convinced Pep is using our cash, allied to his knowledge, knowing who the next superstars are likely to be.

Those targets seem much more Pep to me.

He's never been one to make huge signings, and both clubs he's been at were financially capable. His biggest transfer at Bayern is Vidal at €37m. At Barca it was Ibrahimovic for €40m, in what was quite a big mistake. Even forgetting finances and instead thinking of profile - he doesn't sign that top tier of star player with the exception of Ibrahimovic and that went badly for him.

For a manager who likes to mould his players, young up and coming stars work better than established players set in their ways.

I don't think that Barcelona front 3 will survive next season.
Those targets seem much more Pep to me.

He's never been one to make huge signings, and both clubs he's been at were financially capable. His biggest transfer at Bayern is Vidal at €37m. At Barca it was Ibrahimovic for €40m, in what was quite a big mistake. Even forgetting finances and instead thinking of profile - he doesn't sign that top tier of star player with the exception of Ibrahimovic and that went badly for him.

For a manager who likes to mould his players, young up and coming stars work better than established players set in their ways.

I believe he didn't even want Vidal, but the board decided to go for him anyway

The good thing is pep has known where he's going for a while and as someone as already accused him of planning city's next signings.So I'm sure he will know who the next potential superstars are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.