Pete The Badge - 77th Birthday Pictures / video pages 19 / 20

Some people are. I grew up in Benchill there,my mum and dad still live in the same house, they bought it off the council years ago. If you are lucky enough to live in a close knit community it can be great. Everywhere was like that when I was a kid growing up in Hulme, everyone left their front doors open and helped one another. Then they pulled the houses down, moved everyone all over the place and stuck the rest in those horrible tower blocks.

On the subject of us being rubbish this just popped up, happy days lol.

I'd given a lift to 2 Oldham fans from my street to that game, they didn't get one back.

Sas fuckers hardly ever spoke to me the next 5 years until we moved house.

Our keeper and defence in that game were non existent lol.

Last season in the 2-2 against Liverpool I nipped to the toilet just before the second half started. I came back and said, "We just need to keep it tight the first 15 minutes." The bloke next to me said, "It's 2-2." I was gobsmacked. I'm in the south stand and hadn't even heard the scousers cheer the goal.
Even that 4 nil defeat at Blackburn (sadly the day of Hillsborough) we just took on the chin. Apart from Moulden hitting the bar, the only excitement was some bright bright spark pulling up the floorboards on the special back to town.

Some people are. I grew up in Benchill there,my mum and dad still live in the same house, they bought it off the council years ago. If you are lucky enough to live in a close knit community it can be great. Everywhere was like that when I was a kid growing up in Hulme, everyone left their front doors open and helped one another. Then they pulled the houses down, moved everyone all over the place and stuck the rest in those horrible tower blocks.

On the subject of us being rubbish this just popped up, happy days lol.

Remember that game well. It was the first home match of the season in a year we were expected to get promoted. We did, but in typical City fashion it started with a defeat to Hull?? and a tonking at home, with an ex-blue getting a hatrick.

When he was on the screen a bloke behind my new seat said "who the fuck is he?"

I just looked at him shaking my head.

Then another asked me what City were singing to the Joy Division tune.

shook head again.

It's not like 109 that's for sure

When he was on the screen a bloke behind my new seat said "who the fuck is he?"

I just looked at him shaking my head.

Then another asked me what City were singing to the Joy Division tune.

shook head again.

It's not like 109 that's for sure

To be fair, unless you're on Bluemoon or in the SS, you would have no idea who Pete was. It's only the last couple of years that I found out about him, and I've been going on/off for over 40 years.

Joy Division though, that sounds like it was his first match at the Etihad. When watching on telly you don't hear the refrain that we are 'tearing cockneys apart again'. It's great that the DJ plays it though !

Last edited:
To be fair, unless you're on Bluemoon or in the SS, you would have no idea who Pete was. It's only the last couple of years that I found out about him, and I've been going on/off for over 40 years.

Joy Division though, that sounds like it was hisw first match at the Etihad. When watching on telly you don't hear the refrain that we are 'taking cockneys apart again'. It's great that the DJ plays it though !

I first met him in the eighties. I was living in Kent so I joined the London supporters club as we got cheaper group travel train tickets to get to Maine Road. Pete was a member and I had a few chats with him back then. Bizarely I don't ever remember seeing him at Maine Road prior to that, unless he didn't wear all that gear when I was going as a kid.

I think he's becoming more well known with social media as he's pictured online quite a lot. One thing I've found odd is how such a quiet shy unassuming man decided to dress in such a noticeable extrovert fashion. It's baffling and totally at odds with his personality lol.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.