Peter Drury replaces Martin Tyler on Sky Sports

Henkeman said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
I thought Brian Moore was a dreadful commentator. He was like an absent minded uncle, always getting the players names wrong.

He did have a real warmth about him though. And the "it's up for grabs now" was a great commentary moment. Barry Davies was always my favourite - and one of the few prepared to say a game was awful. Ironic his most famous line came in a hockey match.
I've never forgiven Brian Moore for his commentary of Rangers vs Leeds in the Champions League - think it was 1992. I was 21 and although I should have known better, the bugger just blew away my "jumpers for goalposts" view of the game. Back in the days when £1m in football was still a lot of money, he said in his commentary "...and neither team will want to lose this game as whoever wins it will be picking up £1m". I sat there thinking "I thought it was about winning the tournament not picking up £1m?!"

The naivety of youth eh?

Bloody Brian Moore!

His head looked uncannily like London Planetarium.

From last nights commentary vs Bayern
..."have you ever seen a top English team so totally outplayed in the champions league"

Yes Martin, do you not remember the rags vs Barca final at Wembley.

Shirley said:
..."have you ever seen a top English team so totally outplayed in the champions league"

Regrettably, I was thinking of that mismatch while sat in my seat.

Edit: there was also that united 4-0 defeat at the Nou Camp in the mid-90's

Shirley said:

Or his, "how close where Utd to signing Robben Gary?"

About as close as they where this summer to signing half of the players on Fifa14 you ****!

blueinsa said:
Shirley said:

About as close as they where this summer to signing half of the players on Fifa14 you ****!

MTIAFC.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
blueinsa said:

MTIAFC.

We have a winner. The most telling exchange came when Mr Neville recognised the superiority of Bayern's passing game over ours and said 'It's demoralising when you play in these games and I've played in a few' but all MTIAFC could say was 'Ah yes, but you've played in many, many more where you have handed it out'. GN was trying to point out just how good Bayern were, but MTIAFC could not resist missing the point and glorifying the wondrous magnificence of the lot at the swamp. MTIA(Truly)FC.

che_don_john said:
Henkeman said:
Barry Davies was always my favourite - and one of the few prepared to say a game was awful. Ironic his most famous line came in a hockey match.
Class commentator. Really understood the game and appreciated everything about it. I remember him commentating on Greece's first game of Euro 2004 (think it was against Portugal). Throughout the game he picked out great examples of how organised that team were, how good their positioning was, etc. , when everyone else was moaning abut how they weren't lying down and letting Portugal score.

The BBC's next live game was England v France, with John Motson. How he got England game instead of Davies, I'll never know.

Agreed whole heartedly about Barry Davis best of all time for me Although I think his most famous line was "Interesting. Very interesting. Look at his face. Just look at his face!" When Franny score against City for Derby he ran to the director' box to celebrate in from of Swales only to spot his son Gary with tears running down his face because his dad had scored against his team http://www.theguardian.com/football/2004/sep/27/sport.comment1

Him and rag boy were even worse than usual last night. Didn't even try to hide the fact they were revelling in City getting beat. Pair of cunts

Shirley said:

Didnt Barca do a similar job on Arsenal a few years ago?

But he's a commentator, he makes comments. That sort of comment isn't meant to be based on detailed analysis and research, its an off the cuff comment reflecting what he's seeing.

And I bet 90% of neutral viewers were thinking much the same.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.