Peter Walton..

The goalkeeper fumble is an interesting one to mention because that is the most common one and is ruled out every time. It comes down to the interpretation of "ball under control", if a keeper blocks a shot he clearly doesn't have control of it but if he parries it to his feet does the attacker have the right to tackle him before he gathers it? We all know the answer is no, so its the same for Mings. Does he have control of the ball? I would say clearly not because by the time its at his foot Rodri is on top of him, exact same as the clip I posted above of Ronaldo. At the very least the decision is subjective based on opinion and not fact. The ref should have looked at it and decided for himself if Mings had it under control.
Someone told me it's 60 years since you last won the League, unbelievable Bob on Bobby.

The goalkeeper fumble is an interesting one to mention because that is the most common one and is ruled out every time. It comes down to the interpretation of "ball under control", if a keeper blocks a shot he clearly doesn't have control of it but if he parries it to his feet does the attacker have the right to tackle him before he gathers it? We all know the answer is no, so its the same for Mings. Does he have control of the ball? I would say clearly not because by the time its at his foot Rodri is on top of him, exact same as the clip I posted above of Ronaldo. At the very least the decision is subjective based on opinion and not fact. The ref should have looked at it and decided for himself if Mings had it under control.
You have twisted my words. If a goalie loses control of the ball and it goes to the ground by his feet then the attacker is free to bang it into the net. It is absurd to say these are never given. What you are not allowed to do is kick the ball when it is under the goalie's control. The freeze frame picture shows that Rodri was still behind Mings after he lost control. Rodri was never "on top of him" The VAR people could see this clearly. The frozen image is on this thread.

You have twisted my words. If a goalie loses control of the ball and it goes to the ground by his feet then the attacker is free to bang it into the net. It is absurd to say these are never given. What you are not allowed to do is kick the ball when it is under the goalie's control. The freeze frame picture shows that Rodri was still behind Mings after he lost control. Rodri was never "on top of him" The VAR people could see this clearly. The frozen image is on this thread.
What you're describing there is 1 every 10 year scenario like Dion Dublin against Newcastle I think, definitely Shay Given. If I'm misunderstanding you feel free to highlight some examples.

Edit: I've a mate who is about to be added to the FIFA list of referees, he's not in the pocket of Mike Riley so I'll post up his response when he comes back to me. I'll bow out until then.

It doesn't come down to 'ball under control' because that is something you just up.

pete walton is from northamptonshire and regularly co commentates on radio northampton on cobblers games.He claims to be a ntfc fan ?

Nothing in Law 11 for Offside mentions "Control". The relevant part of the law simply says...
  • A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent.
Rodri is no longer offside as soon as Mings chests the ball. By doing so, Mings has played the ball deliberately. It is completely irrelevant if Mings does or doesn't control it.

And if you argue that he was challenging for the ball, then you have to look at the Offside Offences bit. The answers to this bit are clear as well though...(answers in BOLD)
  • A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
    • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate (NO - Rodri doesn't touch it until after Mings does) or
    • interfering with an opponent by:
    • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision (NO - Rodri is behind Mings) or
    • challenging an opponent for the ball (NO - not until after Mings has deliberately played the ball) or
    • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent (NO - Rodri is at least 2 probably 3-4 yards away when Mings chests it) or
    • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball (NO - As previous, Rodri is at least 2 probably 3-4 yards away when Mings chests it)
The Ronaldo clip is exactly the same situation, and from what I've seen on social media is being reported in Italy as a refereeing mistake and shouldn't have been called offside.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.