Peterborough (A) | Post Match Thread

Well, that is the thing really, it wasn't really a comfortable win was it?

2-0 is 2-0 but against a team that is bottom of their division with a minus goal difference in the 40's and not getting a shot on target until the 60th minute, is that really comfortable?

Is it acceptable?

There are plenty of dickheads in the thread but there are plenty of decent posters as well, your sentence (bolded) implies there isn't and that is not really fair.

I object to the broad sweep of the brush that suggests all that post in the matchday thread are dickheads or as the other guy said know nothing about football, which, come on now is a bit much, no?
You do know the other team is there, don't you? They have a right to defend their goal and also to try and win the match. So what if they're bottom of the Championship? It was their big night and they made it as much of a game as they could. A lot of people talk like they're expecting us to just waltz in and be 3-0 up in the first half simply because we're better on paper. It's United-like arrogance, if you ask me. Every win has to be fought for.

We got knocked out at this stage in 2018 by a team in League One, we were held for 51 mins by Newport in 2019, held for 53 minutes by Sheffield Wednesday in 2020, held for 81 minutes by Cheltenham last season. Last night was no different to any of these ties we've won in the past. You get 90 mins (plus added time and extra time) to win a football match, remember? We used those 90 minutes better than Peterborough, which we were always going to based on our overall play.

As I said repeatedly during the first half (to deaf ears in the Matchday thread) Peterborough were well up for a big night and set up with 11 behind the ball (as they're entitled to do). The pitch was difficult for our lads to adjust to at first (weather and pitch conditions can be a leveller) and it meant that we had to take an extra touch here, avoid a first-time cross there, etc. Our class was always going to tell in the end, which it did.

It wouldn't be so hysterical in the Matchday thread if people who didn't like our performance said things like "Not playing our best here, could do with upping the tempo" or "Need to be sharper round the box, could do with Grealish and Foden switching wings" (or something). But instead it's nonsense about Grealish, Mahrez, Jesus needing to be sold, not being good enough, that we're going to go trophyless this season. It's melodramatic nonsense.

You do know the other team is there, don't you? They have a right to defend their goal and also to try and win the match. So what if they're bottom of the Championship? It was their big night and they made it as much of a game as they could. A lot of people talk like they're expecting us to just waltz in and be 3-0 up in the first half simply because we're better on paper. It's United-like arrogance, if you ask me. Every win has to be fought for.

We got knocked out at this stage in 2018 by a team in League One, we were held for 51 mins by Newport in 2019, held for 53 minutes by Sheffield Wednesday in 2020, held for 81 minutes by Cheltenham last season. Last night was no different to any of these ties we've won in the past. You get 90 mins (plus added time and extra time) to win a football match, remember? We used those 90 minutes better than Peterborough, which we were always going to based on our overall play.

As I said repeatedly during the first half (to deaf ears in the Matchday thread) Peterborough were well up for a big night and set up with 11 behind the ball (as they're entitled to do). The pitch was difficult for our lads to adjust to at first (weather and pitch conditions can be a leveller) and it meant that we had to take an extra touch here, avoid a first-time cross there, etc. Our class was always going to tell in the end, which it did.

It wouldn't be so hysterical in the Matchday thread if people who didn't like our performance said things like "Not playing our best here, could do with upping the tempo" or "Need to be sharper round the box, could do with Grealish and Foden switching wings" (or something). But instead it's nonsense about Grealish, Mahrez, Jesus needing to be sold, not being good enough, that we're going to go trophyless this season. It's melodramatic nonsense.
You do know, that people do know stuff, without you being a condescending ****, right?

Hopefully, you will get to go to more matches and not suffer the indignity of the matchday thread and issuing the broad brushstroke of people who go in there do not know their football.

It is almost like you replied without reading my post fully, especially the bolded bit there.

You do know, that people do know stuff, without you being a condescending ****, right?

Hopefully, you will get to go to more matches and not suffer the indignity of the matchday thread and issuing the broad brushstroke of people who go in there do not know their football.

It is almost like you replied without reading my post fully, especially the bolded bit there.
Again again again again, this is not what I said.

Would never say they know nothing about football.

But they definitely know less than Pep.
Probably not strictly true either tbh normal people know and understand football as well you know, people who have watched and played the game all their lives, yes Pep is a master craftsman but he isn't infallible at the end of the day, people at all levels make errors.

People are entitled to voice an opinion on some of these perceived errors, what kind of forum would it be if you logged on and said 'Pep, knows best' and then logged off again.

Very good post and you can not expect to brush teams aside, they have pride and also ability. But as a team we are just not clicking at the moment, need to get our mojo back as the important part of the season is upon us.

Very good post and you can not expect to brush teams aside, they have pride and also ability. But as a team we are just not clicking at the moment, need to get our mojo back as the important part of the season is upon us.
We've not been at our usual high standards in recent weeks but I think it's going to click again soon. I wouldn't even say we've not been clicking, we've just not been in 5th gear.

Pep's been honest and has said he's been forced to play Bernardo at #9 rather than #8 because of the injuries we've had to Jesus and Grealish. This means he's had to move Bernardo out wide as well, drop Mahrez, all sorts of weird combinations.

We've got a small squad so injuries for longer than 2/3 weeks can really take their toll given how often we play. Even things like Palmer being out are having an effect because I think he would have played last night, allowing, say, Gundogan to have a week off before the derby.

In previous seasons when we've won the title we've had a little wobble at various points and then found our rhythm again. I don't really expect this season to be any different. We've got a stronger challenger for the title than we did last season but now everyone's back I see no reason why we can't pull away again.

And if we don't, then eh, we'll still finish 2nd and we'll still likely go far in the remaining cups. Hardly a crisis considering we entered the season with people saying we wouldn't even finish 4th because we didn't have a striker.

We've not been at our usual high standards in recent weeks but I think it's going to click again soon. I wouldn't even say we've not been clicking, we've just not been in 5th gear.

Pep's been honest and has said he's been forced to play Bernardo at #9 rather than #8 because of the injuries we've had to Jesus and Grealish. This means he's had to move Bernardo out wide as well, drop Mahrez, all sorts of weird combinations.

We've got a small squad so injuries for longer than 2/3 weeks can really take their toll given how often we play. Even things like Palmer being out are having an effect because I think he would have played last night, allowing, say, Gundogan to have a week off before the derby.

In previous seasons when we've won the title we've had a little wobble at various points and then found our rhythm again. I don't really expect this season to be any different. We've got a stronger challenger for the title than we did last season but now everyone's back I see no reason why we can't pull away again.

And if we don't, then eh, we'll still finish 2nd and we'll still likely go far in the remaining cups. Hardly a crisis considering we entered the season with people saying we wouldn't even finish 4th because we didn't have a striker.
Agreed. We have won 22 out of our last 25 games in all comps. Pretty incredible really.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.